Anyone drop son or daughter to save on health $

So you drop your daughter and she doesn't get insurance for whatever reason is then diagnosed with a serious chronic illness that demands lots of medical attention (not just emergency room visits). Do you help out or let your child sink on her own?
A kid without a nest egg that has an emergency, I'd let them "sink" (i.e. declare bankruptcy). They'd get all the care they needed in the ER and then be able to wash their hands of it. That may ruffle feathers, but let's face it, we've all been paying for that 'never turn anyone away' feature for our entire lives. If that unlikely thing happened, I wouldn't feel too bad that my kid collected on the other side of it.

But if it wasn't an ER thing, I'd probably offer to pay for treatment outside of the US for them. If they didn't want to move or travel, then they'd need for it to get bad enough to go to the ER. That would be heartbreaking, and I'd probably cave-in before it came to that.

A kid without a nest egg that has an emergency, I'd let them "sink" (i.e. declare bankruptcy). They'd get all the care they needed in the ER and then be able to wash their hands of it. That may ruffle feathers, but let's face it, we've all been paying for that 'never turn anyone away' feature for our entire lives. If that unlikely thing happened, I wouldn't feel too bad that my kid collected on the other side of it.

But if it wasn't an ER thing, I'd probably offer to pay for treatment outside of the US for them. If they didn't want to move or travel, then they'd need for it to get bad enough to go to the ER. That would be heartbreaking, and I'd probably cave-in before it came to that.

ERs provide emergency care, but "all the care they needed" might include chemotherapy, pre-natal care, operative setting of bones, chronic diseases like MS, diabetes, or lupus, and so on. None of that care would be available through the ER.

I was curious, so add a hypothetical 21-year old son to see the additional premium. It would be a bit more than $200/month for me.

Pre-ACA, it was not that much. In fact, when I dropped my daughter when she had her real job, then my younger son later when he flew the coop, I remember being disappointed that the premium did not go down as much as I expected. It was $80 or something for each of them.

That was me, NW.
Op, I am on my employee retiree health insurance, my son turned 26 this year and automatically was kicked off. My premiums went down a whopping 200 bucks.

Of course, this is true whether your child is 21 or 40. At what age do they take responsibility for themselves?

:confused:?
not it's about an age. My late husband was diagnosed with AML at age 50 even with great health care the bills were insane. Yes, I had siblings that helped me out financially.
I'd like to think that does not make me irresponsible. When the medicine you need cost 200 bucks a day, it's adds up pretty quickly.
If my sister hit a financial bump in the road, and she's 60. yes I would do what I could to get her decent health care insurance.

Last edited:
:confused:?
not it's about an age. My late husband was diagnosed with AML at age 50 even with great health care the bills were insane. Yes, I had siblings that helped me out financially.
I'd like to think that does not make me irresponsible. When the medicine you need cost 200 bucks a day, it's adds up pretty quickly.
If my sister hit a financial bump in the road, and she's 60. yes I would do what I could to get her decent health care insurance.
Sorry for your misfortune, but this is a bit apples and oranges. My point is that kids that can afford their own insurance should be responsible enough to buy it rather than blackmail their parents into buying it for them to avoid financial disaster by trying to pay for the kid's medical care out of their own pockets.

Lol I don't think it's that sinister travelover. I think most parents (myself included) simply look at the situation many 20-30 somethings find themselves in and try to lend a hand when applicable.
Now my gene "pool" is really small, so my experience is with the twenty somethings that are related to me.
maybe there are all these young adults plotting on how they can get out of purchasing health care.

The ones I know and/or related to are pretty standard fare. first job out of college, low payscale, student loans and maybe a car payment. none of them are driving around in Audi's or mercedes. I don't think they are "blackmailing" us, my 25 year was, for 3 years working full time for a firm that did not offer healthcare insurance and the cheapest he found on the market place was ~400 month and since I know first hand how easily one simple slip and fall can set a person back financially I much rather lend a hand than wait until catastrophe strike.
nor do I think it makes them irresponsible.

Op stated that Daughter has little to no income, so she's banking this whole thing on hopefully her daughter would get subsidies to cover cost.
Just me.

Last edited:
Our son (23 yrs old) lives with us. Only goes to school pt. Makes around $12,000. Cannot claim him as a dependent. My wife and I get hi thru aca. Last year, I discussed my son's situation with an hi exchange rep (here in Illinois). Was told he cannot be included in our aca plan and we had to get medicaid for him.

Lol I don't think it's that sinister travelover. I think most parents (myself included) simply look at the situation many 20-30 somethings find themselves in and try to lend a hand when applicable.
Now my gene "pool" is really small, so my experience is with the twenty somethings that are related to me.
maybe there are all these young adults plotting on how they can get out of purchasing health care.

The ones I know and/or related to are pretty standard fare. first job out of college, low payscale, student loans and maybe a car payment. none of them are driving around in Audi's or mercedes. I don't think they are "blackmailing" us, my 25 year was, for 3 years working full time for a firm that did not offer healthcare insurance and the cheapest he found on the market place was ~400 month and since I know first hand how easily one simple slip and fall can set a person back financially I much rather lend a hand than wait until catastrophe strike.
nor do I think it makes them irresponsible.

Op stated that Daughter has little to no income, so she's banking this whole thing on hopefully her daughter would get subsidies to cover cost.
Just me.

But here is what I would do in this case....

Figure out how much more I would have to pay for 25 YO... you can get that easily by dropping them on the healthcare site and see what the new rate is.... I would then charge said 25 YO the difference....

I know the rates have changed big time from when we were young, but I have been paying for my own insurance since I was 19....

OH, and BTW, car insurance for a 19 YO was steep.... heck, it probably still is....

A year ago my company's division was sold to another company. Same job and everything but the benefit costs soared for me. My monthly family billl went from $430 to $1365.

Luckily I live in Mass, and was able to drop my son who is attending college to Mass Health which is basically free. My daughter is 25 and is on the exchange for about $30 per month with no deductible or out of pocket that she pays for.

My costs then only dropped to $980 per month for my wife and I which is awful when you consider most companies pay about half the premium.

I'm looking at the 2017 figures and the deductible is out of reach.

These costs may well be what spurs retirement for me in the near future.

Eastwest Gal-

OE timing doesn't matter if you are a new hire. Your date of hire is your qualifying event. It should be allowed to add him on his own policy and drop on your policy. Most policies allow within a 60 day window of hire.

... maybe there are all these young adults plotting on how they can get out of purchasing health care.

The ones I know and/or related to are pretty standard fare. first job out of college, low payscale, student loans and maybe a car payment. none of them are driving around in Audi's or mercedes...

I don't think these youngsters are plotting to get "free healthcare". Heck, they are paying Medicare tax for decades before they get anything out of it. We had been through the same, had we not?

Rather, they think sickness is something that only happen to geezers like us. When my then 22-year old came down sick, and we were out of town, he had some initial problems getting healthcare because he lost the insurance card that we gave him. Argh! That made me so upset, and I would yell at him if it weren't for his illness being life-threatening.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom