Anyone else like rhubarb pie?

I like it. We used to have a rhubarb plant in the garden when I was a kid and my mom made some really good rhubarb pie and sauce.

I love rhubarb pie but I have never made it from scratch. I must give it a try soon as rhubarb is already in season. I like it with strawberries as the contrast of sweet and sour is delicious. Hot, with a scoop of vanilla icecream on top. MMMMM!

LOVED IT! My mom use to make it.
Unfortunately it is one of those things I had to gave up in 2004 when I found out I was insulin resistance.
Me too. I grew up on the stuff, as it's out of the ground when not much else is. It's not the same, but you can make a pretty nice rhubarb or rhubarb-strawberry sauce with artificial sweetener. I use a liquid product called "Better Stevia". It won't give you the body or preservative qualities of sugar, but if you are dealing with insulin resistance it is pretty darn good. I just cook it, chill it, and add plenty thick whip[ping cream at the table.

Ha

When I was a kid, my buddy and I used to eat rhubarb fresh, right out of the garden. The neighbor's garden, actually. Well, until they yelled at us and called our parents. That was back in the day when you could yell at someone else's kid, and the parent sided with the other adult. You know, the good old days.

But yeah, the pie, with all that added sugar? Not sour enough, but I'll still take a slice!
Man, you are hard-core. That stuff is so bitter it's astringent.

Ha

Wondering if anyone else here likes homemade rhubarb pie. It has a unique taste, but is really good.

Love it. Rhubarb brings up so many childhood memories for me. My friends and I used to walk near these two old sisters property on an old dirt road. They had horses and rhubarb. Drove past it a few years ago showing the Dw the area. An updated farm house with no rhubarb patch. But I got my rhubarb memories still intact ;)

Another rhubarb pie lover here. Grew up loving it, and these days it is one of those "comfort foods" to me (and DW).

Love it! My bride makes the best strawberry rhubarb pie that our entire family loves. When I was a kid I also remember eating it freshly picked from the garden, that's' pucker power-

We just had one!
It has layers of pie dough, rhubarb pieces, pie crumbs and then a top layer with almond slices and caramel.
Soooo good, especially with a dash of whipped cream.

I've never had rhubarb pie, but I LOVE rhubarb/apple pie!

And I've been trying to grow rhubarb in my yard for the past several years, with very little success.

I love the straight rhubarb pie (not so much for the blends).
DW can do without all of them, unfortunately.

-gauss

I love the straight rhubarb pie (not so much for the blends).
DW can do without all of them, unfortunately.

-gauss

I prefer it straight rhubarb too. For me it harkens back to my grandparents who had little to spare so when we visited, Grandma cooked up things like rhubarb from the backyard. I'm sure if they had grown strawberries her pies would have had them too and then that would have been my favorite.

Wondering if anyone else here likes homemade rhubarb pie. It has a unique taste, but is really good.

Yes, I grew up on it. My mom had an incredibly coveted recipe. When she passed, we thought the recipe had been lost. In the oddest of coincidences, ten years later, we met a neighbor of ours (25 miles from where Mom lived) whom she had met years before and given a copy of the recipe to -- in her own handwriting (bit of an emotional shock & joy rolled into one).

Unfortunately, the recipe used a lot of sugar, which I have to avoid now.

There's also something in the variety & growing conditions of the rhubarb. We had 75 year old plants that originated with my paternal grandparents. They produced thick (full 1" dia.) tender stalks better than any I've ever seen/tried anywhere.

Tyro

I love it too - one of my "seasonal" joys. DW makes a good pie and then we have friends that come over to pick some and often end up sharing their creations with us. She also cooks it as a side dish.

When I was a kid my grandparents had a huge patch of Rhubarb in the yard. When I would mow their lawn I would eat the stuff raw with a little salt. It was great.

Love it! DW just made a pie a few days ago. It has been a couple of years. I guess I must be living right.

Pie for strength!

Back
Top Bottom