Anyone had Root Canal Troubles?

What happens if you dont get the root canal?
I managed to break a molar on an olive pit last year at the start of the lock down,had to wait 5 weeks to get in ,by that time hot and cold hurt after 4 days of it thumping, when they did the dry ice test no feeling on it so I assume the nerve was dead.

Worst part was having the latex dam in and them trying to get an xray after drilling the tooth ,I was gagging and they gave up with the possibility of me yaking in their office .
Due to covid they filled the tooth same day, but I had a crown put on a few months ago , still get some pain in the mornings.

Ditto

I had toothache pain somewhere on the upper right side. The pain was intense and I knew it was most likely RC time.

This happened on a Friday evening, of course, when no help was available. I got through with lots of Extra Strength Tylenol.

Monday, I get an emergency visit with my dentist. They gave me the 3 Stooges “tap” test and “thought” the issue was with a molar. More X-rays of course. Nothing suspicious showed. They suspected a possible infection so a two week course of antibiotics and a scheduled appointment with a periodontist.

Problem was the perio guy kept me waiting 3 weeks for an appointment to RC the tooth. More X-rays and the site of the infection was found. Upper right bicuspid.

So after another few days of suffering I called and got more antibiotics. That and the Tylenol calmed things down. Finally got it done and it’s been ok.

Didn’t appreciate the wait or all of the X-rays.
About $2k worth of treatment but the insurance covered a lot of it.

Not a great experience 🤨

This sounds very wrong - I've had at last four root canals in the last 20 years. They were all done by endodontists. In Boston there is a group of practices called "Limited to Endodontics," and they were all done there. The most recent (last year) did require two appts., but once I was done I was completely healed - fully recovered 24 hours later, or less. You need to see an endodontist!

p.s. - they did have me on antibiotics for a week following the procedure

What happens if you dont get the root canal?

An infection could spread if there is one, or you could end up with a natural root canal because bacteria will eat away your mouth parts, particularly the initially infected nerve. But a dental professional's root canal can include pulp disinfection and barrier placement and stuff so it's probably best not to leave it to nature.

Last edited:
You'll love this story...

I have very poor teeth, as do my siblings, inherited from my parents on both sides. I have had many root canals and many crowns in attempts to save my teeth, but I've had to have a lot of teeth pulled, too (in fact, another one will be pulled on Thursday...sigh...) And I've had a few get infected - we call them "blow-ups" - oh, my, the pain...

My excellent dentist has been with me for almost 40 years. He is the only reason I still have a tooth in my head. We have spent so many hours together that we know each other very well - he knows every tooth. And he knows that my pain threshold is very high - I can take most any pain (let's face it, with my teeth, I'm used to pain...sigh...)

But the worst was this one.

I had to have a root canal in an upper molar the day before we drove 400+ miles to visit my hubby's, then fiance's, family, many of whom I was meeting for the first time. I wanted so badly to make a good impression...oh, well...

And you guessed it, my root-canaled tooth "blew up."

So I called my dentist, after hours, in agony, hoping he'd sent me a codeine prescription so I could pick it up at a local pharmacy. He immediately called me back, and, knowing that if I told him that I was in agony, I wasn't kidding, agreed to call in the codeine prescription immediately. He also called in an antibiotic for me.

But he knows me so well that he went one step further. He told me to get a pick at the pharmacy or, lacking that, to grab a thick tapestry needle (which he knew I'd have with me, since I bring handwork to almost every dentist appointment for the long waits. Tapestry needles are thick and strong, but aren't as sharp as a sewing needle.) He then told me to pick out the temporary root canal filling, which is softer than the final filling (they usually put a temporary filling in in case the tooth became infected, and then put the final one in after they are sure that everything is all right.) He said that removing the filling would relive the pressure of the infection pressing against the nerve and I'd feel better immediately.

And he was right!!

I locked myself in my fiance's sister's bathroom and picked out that filling with my tapestry needle, and the relief from the pain was so immediate and so intense that I actually burst into tears. And I was careful what I ate for the rest of our trip and when we got back to our town in three days, my dentist disinfected the hole and repacked it again with another temporary filling, and everything went smoothly after that (if it hadn't, we'd have driven home right away!)

And bless them, my fiance's family didn't think I was weird...well, not too weird, anyway (grin!)

I love, love, love my dentist!

P.S. Disclaimer! Do not try this at home!

Last edited:
I had a root canal and cap done. I ended up with a bone-eating infection and had to have surgery. They tried antibiotics and it didn’t work. Surgery was successful. Apparently root canal problems happen in about 5% of cases.

I love, love, love my dentist!

What a terrific dentist! Wow!

I love my dentist too. One Saturday he was out at sea in his boat, teaching his kids how to fish like any good Cajun papa, when I called him on his cell phone and told him one of my teeth really hurt.

He met me at his office as soon as he could get there, and told me what to do meanwhile to help the pain. (I forget what - - this was 20 years ago and I think the crown had fallen off or something). Anyway, I think that great dentists like ours, are truly heroes.

What a terrific dentist! Wow!

I love my dentist too. One Saturday he was out at sea in his boat, teaching his kids how to fish like any good Cajun papa, when I called him on his cell phone and told him one of my teeth really hurt.

He met me at his office as soon as he could get there, and told me what to do meanwhile to help the pain. (I forget what - - this was 20 years ago and I think the crown had fallen off or something). Anyway, I think that great dentists like ours, are truly heroes.

What a great guy!

And I SO agree with you!

I'm not too worried about a dentist injecting medicine or drilling a hole for drainage, or prescribing something like a prescription mouthwash.

I'm interested in what studies have found on patients who don't get a root canal or a pulled tooth where one is normally suggested, when, as an alternative, those patients tried taking impeccable care of their teeth and gums and used whatever non-surgical methods were available.

I wonder what the bacterial count of an "infection" is, when it's on the lower end of what makes a root canal recommended, compared with the bacterial count of the same area of a healthy tooth. People think of an infection as black and white but I bet if you add up the bacteria of all your healthy teeth it's greater than the bacteria of a tooth that "requires" a root canal.

Well, knowing personally two people that died of heart attacks attributed to dental infections, I'd say it's not worth the risk. Sort of like eating a healthy diet to calm down that little flare up in your appendix.

Last Thursday I noticed some pain in my upper left molar (under a crown). It got worse over the weekend, extending into my ear and down to my throat. I also got my first Covid vaccination Sunday, so I wasn't sure what was causing what. But I went to see the dentist today. She did some testing which included touching my teeth with something cold. After they scraped me off the ceiling they did an x-ray and a CT scan, and determined that I needed a root canal.

I've never had one, but since I'm leaving town in a week, they got right to it. Numbed me up good, and drilled down and cleaned out the infection. Put some antibacterial stuff in there and turned me loose. I go back in Thursday morning for the final part.

Right now my jaw is a bit sore from being stretched open for so long, and there's a little pressure sensitivity in the tooth. I'm hoping for a good outcome after Thursday.

I am not a fan of dental work, but I'm also not a fan of taking stupid chances (see my sig line). I like to think that after having survived 65 years by some miracle that I've finally started making better decisions. Jumping on these symptoms, i think, will turn out to be one of those decisions.

Has the OP posted after his appointment last week? Perhaps I missed it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom