Anyone relocate out of US (South America?) to facilitate ER?

I was in Bangkok in 1988 and the air was dirty, water/river stunk and you could see stuff floating in it and there were billboard signs in the airport warning about dangers like letting someone you didn't know take you for a tour etc. I can't imagine anyone liking to live there. We went in Nov (winter) and it was in the 90's and very humid. The public toilets you had to pay for and they were holes in the ground with water swirling around your ankles.

I was in Bangkok in 1988
I can't imagine anyone liking to live there.

It's just a matter of perception, I guess.
I spent a delightful week in Bangkok in 1971. Well, except for the insane drivers.

Last edited:
Bangkok has also gotten a lot "better"....or at least more modern....over time....

Bangkok is a huge metropolis. If you like the outdoors, you won't like it there. Most every day (when it isn't raining), it's hot enough through the middle of the day that people don't do things outside. One result of that many folks are more active in the evening and night. So that's good or bad depending on your preferences.

I love visiting there for a couple of weeks but can't image living there. Other towns in Thailand will be very different as Bangkok is the one and only big city.

Cultural differences are fine (and interesting) for a couple of weeks, but lots of folks find that they can't put up with it long-term. I've never lived there, just vacation time for me, but I've talked to a number of expats to gauge what it's like.

Small towns in Thailand are of course very cheap, but there are a limited number of activities. Bangkok has all of the "big city" activities, but outdoors activities are severely limited. Sure, somebody can point out that hiking and mountain biking are possible, as is some kinds of fishing, but overall it's a metropolis lifestyle if you're living in town. That can be a high-budget or a very low-budget style.

But crime is very low, it's safe to walk the street at night, and medical care is first class. You'll never truly be seen as an equal with the locals, but as long as you aren't an angry drunk, most everybody is friendly. (and you won't know when most locals disagree with you, as they'll typically give you a small smile and say nothing)

Back
Top Bottom