Anyone selling to capture gains?

this probably off topic but might provide some food for thought

11 Stock Market Crises Over 148 Years: What Does The Data Tell Us?

https://www.sharecafe.com.au/2020/0...es-over-148-years-what-does-the-data-tell-us/

*** In contrast, the drip-feeding approach is a bit like “buying low” but with the humility to accept that we have no idea when the lows will occur. “Buying lower” (than before) might be a better description. In the remainder of this article, we assume that this is the approach taken in the double-down response. ****

this is closest to my approach , i have been taking profits at sensible times all throughout the last nine years , i think 120% (plus ) is always a good time to CONSIDER reducing that holding .

i have a small amount of reserve cash and will look to invest it CAREFULLY as this scenario progresses , but i did buy a fair bit during March

why so little in cash ??

i have concerns about the banks over here with the banks limiting withdrawals when the stress really bites

money locked in the bank paying trivial interest is no help to my finances

this probably off topic but might provide some food for thought

11 Stock Market Crises Over 148 Years: What Does The Data Tell Us?

https://www.sharecafe.com.au/2020/0...es-over-148-years-what-does-the-data-tell-us/

*** In contrast, the drip-feeding approach is a bit like “buying low” but with the humility to accept that we have no idea when the lows will occur. “Buying lower” (than before) might be a better description. In the remainder of this article, we assume that this is the approach taken in the double-down response. ****

this is closest to my approach , i have been taking profits at sensible times all throughout the last nine years , i think 120% (plus ) is always a good time to CONSIDER reducing that holding .

i have a small amount of reserve cash and will look to invest it CAREFULLY as this scenario progresses , but i did buy a fair bit during March

why so little in cash ??

i have concerns about the banks over here with the banks limiting withdrawals when the stress really bites

money locked in the bank paying trivial interest is no help to my finances

Indeed!

With commission-free trading now the norm, this approach is what I use, and I believe it makes the most sense for most rational investors. Buy $100 worth of shares, if it goes lower, buy $100 or $200 more. Lower still, nibble a little more. There is no additional cost in constructing a position/portfolio by purchasing (and later selling) small amounts at a time. Historically, when transaction costs were (significantly) higher, they needed to be accounted for. Transaction costs could make/break the thesis behind many studies over the years. When you take transaction costs out of the picture, a whole new realm of possibilities exist - one being what you have pointed out.

in Australia we still pay brokerage ( commissions to you ) but that just inspires me to wait for a bigger drop between buys , i mostly buy less than $1000 at a time ( the brokerage on one platform doubles at $1000 , jumps again at $10,000 and goes to a straight percentage at $25,000 )

the other platform charges more but doesn't jump until $25,000 , so it gets more of the larger buys

but where is the bottom in the current saga ... i have no idea ( but i do expect it to go lower on reduced earnings later in the year )

Did same, sold it all again last Friday. Though I only made 90k on 500k total. Good enough. There is no “for sure” the recovery will rocket back up. No one knows. Trading is gambling (though with more information) pure and simple at this point.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom