Apple Vision Pro

It’s a lot more interesting than I expected.

It’ll be fun to see how it develops in the next few years.

I watched the YouTube video and went from - $3500-outrageous to I need to start saving for one. [emoji23]

I thought the YouTuber reviewed it really well too. Laying out the good and the bad.
I decided to follow him. I like his delivery.

It’s going to be very interesting. It looks like they’ll take this really far.

I’d agree, but I’d want to see it in person.

Theoretically, you could replace a monitor with the headset, but would it work as well?

I suspect for entertainment, it’ll work well, but how comfortable is the headset? Is this something that we’ll forget we’re wearing or will we be happy to take it off after watching?

It’ll be interesting to see how well this plays out.

It was smart for them to focus on augmenting reality and the presentation they put together is impressive. Switching between augmented and virtual with the digital crown is sleek, not to mention controlling with eye and hand gestures.

And this is a v1 product. Look back at the original iPhone and you’ll see we’ve come a long way. Hopefully it does well enough that we’ll get future versions.

Joanna Stern of the Wall Street Journal did a very Good article and video of the headset. She too gave the good and bad features of it. I liked her description of “it’s like strapping an Apple Watch to her head” but in a good way.
The capabilities and possible uses of this are amazing but I think it will be hard for the average consumer to wrap their heads around this (pun intended) or afford it.

The capabilities and possible uses of this are amazing but I think it will be hard for the average consumer to … afford it.

Remember the Apple Lisa? $9,995 ($36K in today’s dollars).

The original Mac was $2,500 ($7K).

Heck, the Apple Pro XDR 6K display currently lists for $4,999.

Just to keep it all in perspective.

Remember the Apple Lisa? $9,995 ($36K in today’s dollars).

The original Mac was $2,500 ($7K).

Heck, the Apple Pro XDR 6K display currently lists for $4,999.

Just to keep it all in perspective.

That’s a good point. My mom bought an Apple computer back in the early eighties. I can’t remember what it was called back then but I’m pretty sure it was before MACs.
No hard drive and I think it was $5,000.

Joanna Stern of the Wall Street Journal did a very Good article and video of the headset. She too gave the good and bad features of it. I liked her description of “it’s like strapping an Apple Watch to her head” but in a good way.
The capabilities and possible uses of this are amazing but I think it will be hard for the average consumer to wrap their heads around this (pun intended) or afford it.

I read the same article and agree it was good. So far the press has been mostly positive, but we’ll see what happens when it’s released.

I spent 40+ years of my life avoiding watches since I didn’t like anything strapped to my wrist. I eventually bought an Apple Watch and even though I don’t care for having something strapped to my wrist, I’ve adjusted. The benefits outweigh the negatives.

I wonder if that’ll be the same with the headset?

I think it’s a cool device with a lot of potential, but I hesitate on the idea of wearing something, especially for long periods of time.

Plus, it is kinda weird, like the external display showing an image of your eyes to others to make it feel more real. And the avatarish person you use in Facetime calls.

But yeah, I want to try one and see what it’s like. Especially for watching movies and consuming content. I wouldn’t even mind it for reading, especially in bed since I hate changing pages while laying down, but I can’t image laying in bed with a headset.

It’s first gen though. Future iterations will get better and hopefully a bit cheaper.

Not sure how two 4K displays would ever appear pixelated.....?

Because the wide field of view spreads the pixels out compared to a TV. They are using foveated rendering to make the things you look at sharper than the periphery. The illusion is that everything looks sharp with lower computing. Our natural vision system does the same.

Our vision is only truly sharp for an area about the size of your thumbnail at arms reach. Amazing.

The pixels are super tiny. It’s not going to be pixelated.

Pixels per degree of view means that they are still a little pixelated compared to natural vision but I am sure it is impressive

Apple-Vision-Pro-Talos-IV-lores.jpg

Pixels per degree of view means that they are still a little pixelated compared to natural vision but I am sure it is impressive

All I know is that every single review I've read cites the amazing crispness of text and all other visuals. How they achieve that, via foveation, etc., is unimportant. Of interest to VR nerds, perhaps, but 95% of purchasers aren't going to care.

All I know is that every single review I've read cites the amazing crispness of text and all other visuals. How they achieve that, via foveation, etc., is unimportant. Of interest to VR nerds, perhaps, but 95% of purchasers aren't going to care.

True. For normal people they will judge it compared to real life. I have read that would be around 60 x 90 degrees = 5400 so 4K screens should be pretty close. The down side is processing power and the resulting 2hr battery limit.

True. For normal people they will judge it compared to real life. I have read that would be around 60 x 90 degrees = 5400 so 4K screens should be pretty close. The down side is processing power and the resulting 2hr battery limit.

2 hour battery life is not uncommon. The nice part is you should be able to connect to a power source easily enough. Not ideal if you need to walk around, but probably not an issue if you’re watching a movie.

I’ve only skimmed the following IEEE article. It gives an technical overview of the display based on what’s been announced.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/apple-vision-pro

I’m inclined to think we’ll be impressed with the visuals once this product is released.

Personally, this might be a monitor replacement for me, assuming I can get over having to wear a headset.

I am very interested by the idea of VR/AR and technically can afford this headset, but still I'm waiting patiently for the Valve "Deckard" which who knows when will be announced. Valve is a great company. Conversely, I don't agree with Apple's business practices, don't own any of their other devices and don't want trapped into their ecosystem or locked-down app store. And personally I'm not a fan of their UIs though that's a matter of preference.

The hardware and software here are both very impressive. But I don't recommend buying a first gen device either. Plus knowing Apple, they'll nerf the performance with a mandatory software update as soon as V2 comes out. I predict a future competitor device from Valve or Google will be a thousand bucks cheaper but will have just as capable standalone as well as the option to plug into a desktop. Easier to upgrade or install third party apps that way, gives it much more utility.

This sounds promising for a much more immersive remote travel experience.

This sounds promising for a much more immersive remote travel experience.

Last month when I was in Rome, I visited the Domus Aurea, the former palace of Emperor Nero. It's now largely underground and/or repurposed for the foundation of other Roman construction. Part of that visit is to put on VR masks while seated in a big, open, underground portion of the palace. You then see a recreation of the luxurious building around you as it was in Nero's time. As you turn your head, your view of the building moves with you. Then the view starts to "walk" you from the interior of the palace out to a balcony where you overlook the large lake that was a part of the palace grounds. It was all very realistic looking. However, the graphics were slightly pixelized due to the resolution of the masks. I didn't note the manufacturer of the masks. It was a very cool way to see a portion of this site.

With the resolution of these Vision Pros, I can imagine this type of experience will be even more fantastic. I think we will be seeing a lot of commercial applications like this coming in the not-to-distant future. And you're right, you would also be able to do this entire type of thing from your own living room.

Last month when I was in Rome, I visited the Domus Aurea, the former palace of Emperor Nero. It's now largely underground and/or repurposed for the foundation of other Roman construction. Part of that visit is to put on VR masks while seated in a big, open, underground portion of the palace. You then see a recreation of the luxurious building around you as it was in Nero's time. As you turn your head, your view of the building moves with you. Then the view starts to "walk" you from the interior of the palace out to a balcony where you overlook the large lake that was a part of the palace grounds. It was all very realistic looking. However, the graphics were slightly pixelized due to the resolution of the masks. I didn't note the manufacturer of the masks. It was a very cool way to see a portion of this site.

With the resolution of these Vision Pros, I can imagine this type of experience will be even more fantastic. I think we will be seeing a lot of commercial applications like this coming in the not-to-distant future. And you're right, you would also be able to do this entire type of thing from your own living room.

Had a similar experience at a local Van Gogh 'experience' - before you got to the gift shop you could do a 3D thing - while it was interesting, I wasn't blown away by it, and there was definitely some disorientation afterwards. I've never heard anyone experiencing that after a full 30 minutes with VisionPro...

Back
Top Bottom