Approaching a Milestone.....

That's okay, ikubak. I am glad to see someone else got to $1M this month as well, due to the rising stock market (I presume?).

Even with most of the $2k in bills I paid in the last 7 days I am still over $1M so no over-and-under $1M ride going on. :)

The milestone dropped and smashed my big toe. OUCH! No more $1M in investments any more. Down to about $980k now but to quote a famous movie line, "I'll be baaack!"

Scrabbler, I know what you mean. In my last post, I said that I was waiting for the shoe to drop. In the meantime I hit $1M four seperate times in two weeks. Well yesterday the shoe dropped and who knows when it will hit bottom.

Milkman

After slipping below $1M back in May, I have been coming dangerously close to the coveted milestone once again. I am at about $998.3k.

Any of you who were close to $1M back in May getting near the $1M mark again?

Nice work, hope to be there in my early 40's. Right now approaching 300K and should be there at end of year. I set quarterly, yearly and 5 year portfolio goals. The nice thing is that as your NW increases, these milestones become easier. Just think how long it took you to save your first 100K versus the second 100K, etc.

Nice work, hope to be there in my early 40's. Right now approaching 300K and should be there at end of year. I set quarterly, yearly and 5 year portfolio goals. The nice thing is that as your NW increases, these milestones become easier. Just think how long it took you to save your first 100K versus the second 100K, etc.

Yes, it did not take long to add the second, third, fourth, etc. $100k after it took 12 years to get the first $100k. The booming stock market in the late 1990s followed by the exploding value of my company's stock in the 2000s increased my total NW by $100k every 2 years or less. In fact, it was increasing by $100k in less than 12 months for a few years in 2004-2006 and I was working only 20 hours a week in those years.

Getting to and staying about $1M has proven to be difficult in the last few years but part of that is due to my not working the last 2 years.

I hope you can get to you $300k goal soon and advance beyond that.

Back before the crash (in 2007 I think) I was flirting with $200K in my TSP. Now I'm at 199.2K so I may hit $200K at market close.

Not close to $1Mil tho.

Get to a million. and go to cash!! :)

Back before the crash (in 2007 I think) I was flirting with $200K in my TSP. Now I'm at 199.2K so I may hit $200K at market close.

Not close to $1Mil tho.

I am back over $1M, thanks to today's big day at the stock market. I am at $1.005M, about where I was back in early May.

Are you over $200k now?

Yeah, $202K. I used to think that was a lot of money. Seems the older I get, the more my idea of "a lot" changes.

I do have a couple COLA'd pensions tho, so I'm sure they are worth some $.

Hmmm, good week on the markets!

Looks like my investable securities topped $2m this week. That excludes real estate, venture capital and pension account.

Finally, some progress! Now let's hope we can hold the gains.....

Egads, after the last few bad weeks in the stock and bond markets, I am fast approaching this milestone again.......but from the other direction! I am down to $1.001M so one more bad day and I will fall below that coveted amount.

I will also be using up some of my small, accumulated surpluses from my investments to pay some 3rd quarter estimated taxes in September, so that alone could eventually drop me below $1M even if the markets don't change much next month.

Last edited:
Despite the mild gains in the stock market, I fell slightly below the $1M mark in investment today. :(

With the past several weeks and being 100% stocks (yes...still) I am pretty rapidly approaching a milestone from the wrong direction as well.

At 42, I sometimes think about moving to 90/10 or 80/20, but when stocks are going up, I don't want to, and when stocks have just gone down, I don't want to. Hmm.

2Cor521

With the recent stock market gains, I have finally broken the $1.1M mark. A considerable runup in bond fund values has also helped a lot because I have a lot of holdings there.

I have some large, infrequent bills coming up in the next few months, starting with a rare credit card bill (for $500) for the new but badly needed PC I bought last month, and continuing with car insurance, health insurance, and income taxes due in the next two months. So I won't be creating much of a cushion/surplus from my monthly/quarterly dividends until April.

Still......it is good to finally hit this mark. I will probably have a similar roller-coaster ride like I had with the $1M mark in 2010 and 2011.

So, if one has a particular milestone in mind for FI. Suppose it was 1.1 M for FireCalc to give the percent survivable percentage you were shooting for. It seems like in most cases you would "reach" that milestone in a big run-up in the market like we are having now. How much time do you have to wait for the pendulum to possibly swing the other way. Should you wait before deciding that FI has been reached? It would seem like riding a bubble to a milestone is a lot less secure than reaching the same milestone in less frothy times. How do you account for that?

So, if one has a particular milestone in mind for FI. Suppose it was 1.1 M for FireCalc to give the percent survivable percentage you were shooting for. It seems like in most cases you would "reach" that milestone in a big run-up in the market like we are having now. How much time do you have to wait for the pendulum to possibly swing the other way. Should you wait before deciding that FI has been reached? It would seem like riding a bubble to a milestone is a lot less secure than reaching the same milestone in less frothy times. How do you account for that?
Rebalance and change your asset allocation. Set aside a couple of years of expenses in cash and bank deposits, and then increase the fixed income allocation. This will help reduce volatility and the cash reserves let you get through sharp market declines without having to sell equities.

Congratulations, Scrabbler1! My portfolio has risen into uncharted territory as well, with the recent run-up of the stock market. Back in January, it pushed past my previous high of $679K, set on July 7, 2011. Which, ironically, was the 16th anniversary of an event that damn near bankrupted me...my wedding anniversary!

Just popped the $700K mark on Friday, February the third. Sold off a little, to lock in the gains, but now with my luck, watch the market skyrocket from here! :)

With recent stock market gains, I am now a little closer to the $1.2M mark than I am to the $1,1M mark. Anyone else here hitting new milestones? I believe there have been a few threads about this lately.

Anyone else here hitting new milestones?

I am within $2,000 of a very important -to me- personal milestone.

Jointly with DW, we are within $100k of the next big milestone and hope to get there by year end.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom