Approaching death with dignity.

folivier

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Yesterday I read a post from a friend that I haven't seen in a few years. Basically it said that he was at the end of his life due to severe heart problems. He went on to list his regrets being mostly not having family or kids. Since he has no family to pass on his assets he is having a friend manage them for educating kids. He wants everyone to appreciate the value of family and not to end up on death's bed with regrets but happiness for having a fulfilling life.
I can only hope that I can approach death with his dignity.

Sorry to hear for your friends news. My whole career I was reminded on a daily basis on the fragility of life, and the strength of people in dire situations.

Lot's of way's to die with dignity, IMO. We have dwindled down to a very small family. Only one child and some in-laws, but only a few of those that we care to associate with. I've been incredibly blessed to live in a relatively free country, have good health and I was well rewarded for my efforts in my working years and proud of my life's accomplishments. Zero regrets, within things I can control, and happy as can be at my age.

The light at the end of the tunnel is coming and while I don't welcome it, I don't fear it. (However, I may feel different when I'm down to the last few days.) :)

Last edited:
My family is down to me (a widower), my 44 year old daughter, and one sister. All cousins, aunts (no uncles) are gone. I have no grandchildren.

I have been putting together a "When I die" notebook for my daughter. It will be pretty simple for her to follow.

I have no life regrets at age 80 and I may still hang around for a good bit of time as I am very healthy, but you never know what can just show up or happen.

Aja, I am 69 and have a death book for my kids to make everything easy. I have no regrets as I have tried to be a good person and help other people and dogs so that’s what is important. I have had a good life. However, I am hoping to be around 20 more years:)).

I have a pretty big family but no children. We are relatively close and get together a few times/a year. I cling to storytelling. It helps me understand the human condition. I recently heard an interview with Anthony Hopkins. Such wisdom. Said to set aside arrogance and superiority. We are born alone and die alone so you have to be comfortable with yourself. You make decisions, right or wrong it is what it is. All living things are given something in common, to survive. And all living things must pass.

Very interesting and very sorry about your friend. My wife and I also have a small family, but we have been blessed with one son and he has a beautiful family now. We did get our first blood GD 13 month's ago and have a step DG also.

We each have one sister but mine is a half-sister and lives in Indiana and I may never see her again as she is in her 80's. We talk all the time though. My wife sister is about 70 and has had a dysfunctional family all of her life.

So, I hope to be able to pass down our legacy to them somehow with a stripe inheritance manor.

Grew up blue collar middle class in an upper class suburb. We were not poor but we never tried to keep up with the neighbors and lived mostly invisibly. My father worked very hard and my stay-home mother did a good job raising us while he worked very hard to save and provide for our family.

I have not deviated much from this mentality as we have a modest home, drive modest newer cars but in the process of being a workaholic managed to amass a nice asset base. My mother died first, my father died a few years ago at 99 and he had a good CPA helping him plan his finances. His 16K home bought in 1957 sold for $2.5M (it is a nice neighborhood) and he had substantial cash in the bank. He was always financially insecure up until the end. When he was in hospice care I asked my wife if it was OK to open the kimono and show him our assets as this sort of thing is never done in our families. He was worried about his 24-hour caregiving costs and always wanted to get rid of it and he said he could take care of himself. He was also having dementia setting in so not always thinking rationally. When I showed him what we had (more than 10M at the time) he was shocked, surprised, elated and puzzled and the first thing he said is, "Gee, you have that much:confused: It is enough to retire right now if you wanted to. But, my advice is to keep working until they don't want you anymore." His next words brought a tear to my eye, "I guess I don't have to worry about money anymore, you've done a good job of saving and can take care of you and your brother if anything happens."

He died a few months later, disease free, of organ failure, but more importantly not worrying about us financially. The decision to disclose our assets was a very difficult one but it paid off. Truly, a life well lived.

Grew up blue collar middle class in an upper class suburb. We were not poor but we never tried to keep up with the neighbors and lived mostly invisibly. My father worked very hard and my stay-home mother did a good job raising us while he worked very hard to save and provide for our family.

I have not deviated much from this mentality as we have a modest home, drive modest newer cars but in the process of being a workaholic managed to amass a nice asset base. My mother died first, my father died a few years ago at 99 and he had a good CPA helping him plan his finances. His 16K home bought in 1957 sold for $2.5M (it is a nice neighborhood) and he had substantial cash in the bank. He was always financially insecure up until the end. When he was in hospice care I asked my wife if it was OK to open the kimono and show him our assets as this sort of thing is never done in our families. He was worried about his 24-hour caregiving costs and always wanted to get rid of it and he said he could take care of himself. He was also having dementia setting in so not always thinking rationally. When I showed him what we had (more than 10M at the time) he was shocked, surprised, elated and puzzled and the first thing he said is, "Gee, you have that much:confused: It is enough to retire right now if you wanted to. But, my advice is to keep working until they don't want you anymore." His next words brought a tear to my eye, "I guess I don't have to worry about money anymore, you've done a good job of saving and can take care of you and your brother if anything happens."

He died a few months later, disease free, of organ failure, but more importantly not worrying about us financially. The decision to disclose our assets was a very difficult one but it paid off. Truly, a life well lived.
That is a nice story. Like your dad, I always want to reassure the kids that they don't need to worry about me. But it can work the other way too. Keeping the old folks reassured that you are in good financial shape might ease a couple of minds you didn't even know were troubled.

We don’t have kids, but we haven’t regretted it so far at almost 70 yo. As for what to do with our residuals - 4-5 charities, a sister and nine nephews and nieces make that easy. But I understand the sentiments expressed in the OP.

No kids, no regrets. I knew I wasn't made out for it, neither was DH. Having them and doing badly at it would have made for bigger regrets.

Adore my niece and nephew, and my (small) extended family. Also luckily I've never been one to regret my past decisions or actions, even if I don't necessarily agree with some of them today.

No kids no regrets either.

I do have a fairly close-knit extended family but it is not always the panacea. Family can be a source of support, happiness, and emotional fulfillment. But it is also true that nobody can hurt you like family can. Jealousy, greed, gossips, betrayal, etc… the people closest to you are often the ones you need to worry most about.

That being said, I do believe that having a fulfilling life is essential to avoid regret. Fulfillment can be had in many ways though… Some people will find fulfillment through life-long learning, some through travel and adventure, some through serving others, the arts, work, relationships etc… No size fits all here.

I am self-aware enough to know what brings me fulfillment and FIRE has made it possible for me to pursue those endeavors full time, for which I am very grateful.

No kids, no regrets. I knew I wasn't made out for it, neither was DH. Having them and doing badly at it would have made for bigger regrets.

Adore my niece and nephew, and my (small) extended family. Also luckily I've never been one to regret my past decisions or actions, even if I don't necessarily agree with some of them today.

Yep. My opinion is do the best you can, good deeds and self-improvement along the way are fine, but try not to waste time on regrets.

One kid and he won't have a family. All my siblings and other relatives are overseas. My husband has lost touch with his not-close siblings. I don't worry about our dying but I worry about my kid being left all alone in this world. I hope he has a companion in the future. Life can get pretty lonely. I am working on setting him up financially both on his own and through inheritance, low to mid 7 figures so that he can retire or stopping work in his 50s.

Last edited:
"Family" can be loosely defined, very close friends can be as loved and bonded as blood, and easily included in a will if desired.
My "family" includes kids, grandkids, siblings, nieces/nephews, cousins, and two very close friends who like siblings. I am blessed.

Live your life without regrets as best as you can, die with a peaceful heart when the time comes. Which is faster than you think.

Back
Top Bottom