Aquablation for BPH

SOKYguy

Dryer sheet wannabe
Anyone here had Aquablation surgery for BPH? From what I’ve read it is highly effective with a minimum risk for serious side effects.

Got me curious about the procedure, so read what I could online. I’ve seen plenty of TURPs (transurethral resection of the prostate) which is the current gold standard, using electrocautery and sterile fluids via the urethra under anesthesia to remove excess prostate surgery while viewing with a cystoscope. But I have never seen aquablation performed. I see that aquablation uses fluid to remove excess tissue, using a robot, and that post op complications are lower than TURPs. The cost of aquablation is reportedly significantly higher. It sounds like it could become the new gold standard for BPH treatment.

My urologist was one of the first in this part of the country to offer it. (Almost a year now) His comments to me were, the procedure is much faster, fewer complications and works as well or better than the traditional TURP procedure! Of course YMMV. He said "think of it like a high powered, very precise, waterpik".

"If" I ever need such a procedure, it's the way I'll go, unless they dream up something even better by then.

Last edited:
Sounds good from what I've read.

But just to perhaps put your mind at ease, I had the traditional TURP a few years ago and I was very happy with it. No complications, and complete recovery within 2-3 weeks. So as scary as it sounds, it's actually a pretty routine procedure.

Thanks for the replies. I had TUMT twelve years ago. Unfortunately it didn’t help much. I’ve reached the point where I need to do something as I am having frequent UTI’s. I’m planning on making an appointment with my urologist this month to discuss. I’ve read that Aquablation is now covered by Medicare.

Thanks for the replies. I had TUMT twelve years ago. Unfortunately it didn’t help much. I’ve reached the point where I need to do something as I am having frequent UTI’s. I’m planning on making an appointment with my urologist this month to discuss. I’ve read that Aquablation is now covered by Medicare.
It was covered by MC when I checked into it earlier this year.

I had an appointment yesterday with an Aquablation surgeon. I actually had to switch to a urologist in Louisville since my provider in Nashville doesn’t do Aquablation.

The new doctor said his criteria for choosing between TURP and Aquablation was prostate size and shape. Larger prostates get Aquablation. After doing a DRE he said I was a good candidate for Aquablation.

I go back in two weeks for another test. Then they are going to schedule the Aquablation.

^^^^^
Good luck and I'd like to hear how it goes if you'd care to share.... My doctor was one of the first in my region to offer the "procedure" and I'd choose it over others if/when I need it based on what he has told me... Of course YMMV.

The new doctor said his criteria for choosing between TURP and Aquablation was prostate size and shape. Larger prostates get Aquablation.

FWIW, I have a very large prostate. Can't tell you the exact size, but I've been told that a number of times after a DRE. I had a TURP and it was a good experience. Several years later, I'm still doing great. So I'm not sure there is a huge difference among these procedures.

FWIW, I have a very large prostate. Can't tell you the exact size, but I've been told that a number of times after a DRE. I had a TURP and it was a good experience. Several years later, I'm still doing great. So I'm not sure there is a huge difference among these procedures.
Probably has a lot to do with the surgeons skill levels. And some can get pretty aggressive with tissue removal, so I've heard. I think for "us guys" we should feel sorta lucky since we have so many options. The traditional TURP, Auqablation, Laser, lifts, drugs, etc.... I'm sure there are good and bad experiences with each.

Last edited:
Probably has a lot to do with the surgeons skill levels. And some can get pretty aggressive with tissue removal, so I've heard. I think for "us guys" we should feel sorta lucky since we have so many options. The traditional TURP, Auqablation, Laser, lifts, drugs, etc.... I'm sure there are good and bad experiences with each.

Re: "we should feel sorta lucky", I wish there was a large study contrasting the 5 or 6 different procedures and why each is better for the particular patients prostate condition. Otherwise we are just at the mercy of what procedure our particular doctor is trained in. Maybe the doc would say no you're not a candidate for the procedure I do, but, he may just figure this will be fine.

"There, there", as I once heard a doc say when you make a mistake on the operating table, you never "oops", you say "there, there".

^^^^^
Yep, it is a bit scary... I'm a pretty skilled/experienced auto mechanic but I'm always doing something that I need to redo/fix.... Hope surgeons are 99+% better at getting it right the first time..

Going on another decade of active surveillance(watchful waiting) for prostate cancer. I wanted, and my urologist suggested keeping an eye on the cancer rather than surgery. So far so good.

Following this thread. TURP scheduled for early Dec. My prostate is only 68 grams so I'm not sure it will help..

Following this thread. TURP scheduled for early Dec. My prostate is only 68 grams so I'm not sure it will help..
I'm not sure I'd go thru something like this if I wasn't reasonably sure it would help... "If you care to answer", I assume your doctor is recommending it? Have you tried something like Flomax first?

Last edited:

What Car-Guy said. If you're prostate is only 68 grams you should be getting one of the non-surgical procedures. i.e. Rezum or Urolift. They were invented specifically to treat smaller but still troublesome prostates. Prostates can grow inwards or outwards. Hence the ones that cause no problems until they hit 100+ grams vs the ones that are causing bad symptoms but might be only 50-60 -70 grams. Why go all the way with surgery for such a small prostate? That was the thinking. Especially since the main demographic for this commonly have higher rates of existing medical burdens. Rezum has even, for the most part, replaced Green-light laser surgery.

68 grams? Even if your symptoms are quite serious jumping to surgery, especially the relatively Stone Age, "TURP" sounds a bit fishy

Why do you think it might not help an "only 68 grams" prostate? It cannot help but make it better. Sans side effects, of course

^^^^^
Yep, it is a bit scary... I'm a pretty skilled/experienced auto mechanic but I'm always doing something that I need to redo/fix.... Hope surgeons are 99+% better at getting it right the first time..

Some are better, not 99% better, 50% of those graduated in the lower half of the skill level.
PS. Freudian slip? proof reading, I noticed I missed the s in skill!

What Car-Guy said. If you're prostate is only 68 grams you should be getting one of the non-surgical procedures. i.e. Rezum or Urolift. They were invented specifically to treat smaller but still troublesome prostates. Prostates can grow inwards or outwards. Hence the ones that cause no problems until they hit 100+ grams vs the ones that are causing bad symptoms but might be only 50-60 -70 grams. Why go all the way with surgery for such a small prostate? That was the thinking. Especially since the main demographic for this commonly have higher rates of existing medical burdens. Rezum has even, for the most part, replaced Green-light laser surgery.

68 grams? Even if your symptoms are quite serious jumping to surgery, especially the relatively Stone Age, "TURP" sounds a bit fishy

Why do you think it might not help an "only 68 grams" prostate? It cannot help but make it better. Sans side effects, of course

Dr says I need this but that's what I would expect him to say. He says I have some bladder damage that he showed me during the cystoscopy. Not sure what I was looking at though..I've passed about 8 -10 bladder stones in the past few months.. That can be caused by the bladder retaining urine.. Tried Flomax but it did not help much and it cost me a trip to the emergency room for stitches when I took the first pill and passed out upon standing up.. Dr says I can do Rezum but said for long term I should get the TURP..I've cancelled once but have now rescheduled. So there's that..

Last edited:
I had the cystoscopy today. Was able to see damage to the bladder and how much the prostate is squeezing the urethra.

Doctor is going to schedule surgery after Medicare approval. Should be the first part of January.

Is there a website that explains the different options, especially lifts versus removals (e.g. turp, aquablation)?

Is there a website that explains the different options, especially lifts versus removals (e.g. turp, aquablation)?

Here is the best rundown of options I have seen so far.
https://prostatematters.co.uk/determining-suitable-bph-treatment-options/
There is a Facebook site (you might have to join to read), https://www.facebook.com/groups/prostatePAE

with discussion of PAE, Prostate Artery Embolization. "It works by placing a tiny catheter into the arteries that feed the prostate gland. A solution containing thousands of microscopic plastic beads is injected; these block the blood supply by shutting down blood flow to the gland. All of this is accomplished through a tiny quarter-inch hole in the groin." https://www.yalemedicine.org/conditions/prostate-artery-embolization
If/when the time comes PAE will be my first option. It seems to have a lot less complications and recovery time than other options.
It received FDA approval about a little over 5 years ago, so is fairly new. I would seek out a doctor that has done a lot, even if it meant travel.

I first heard of the microscopic plastic beads used for fibroids in the uterus. First done in 1995. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3835459/
Hope these help.

We all already have a bunch of microscopic plastic in our bodies. I am not sure I want to add any more.

We all already have a bunch of microscopic plastic in our bodies. I am not sure I want to add any more.

You say, "I'm not sure", at some point you may need to to make a decision.
PAE has a lower complication rate than the surgical procedures, a faster recovery and has longevity. To each there own.

Back
Top Bottom