Are you a Solar Panels owner?

VFK57

Full time employment: Posting here.
I am considering a Solar Panels system for my house and would like to get advise from people who own it or consider installation. On a proposal I got from local Solar Installer with very good rating, it looks nice with the system payoff in 8.5 to 9 years, then electricity cost is going to be very close to 0 for the rest of system design life span (25 years). Yet I know that there might be a hidden cost like home insurance, probably property tax increases, repair (if needed). If you have the system or plan to install it, please advise.

I don't have solar, but I assume you've looked into current net metering discussions in your area/state. As many as 16 states were/are reconsidering net metering, which could (substantially) change the payback breakeven. Solar has intrigued me for years, but there are risks for those who count the financial payback as a decision factor.

Nevada is just one case in point (other states may follow):
In late December, the state’s Public Utilities Commission, which regulates Nevada’s energy market, announced a rate change drastic enough to kill Nevada’s booming rooftop solar market and drive providers out of the state. Effective Jan. 1, the new tariffs will gradually increase until they triple monthly fees that solar users pay to use the electric grid and cut by three-quarters users’ reimbursements for feeding electricity into it.

More startlingly, the commission made its decision retroactive. That means that the 17,000 Nevada residents who were lured into solar purchases by state-mandated one-time rebates of up to $23,000 suddenly discovered that they were victims of a bait-and-switch. They made the deals assuming that, allowing for inflation, their rates would stay constant over their contracts’ 20- to 30-year lifetimes; instead, they face the prospect of paying much more for electricity than if they had never made the change, even though they’re generating almost all their electricity themselves.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/01/opinion/nevadas-solar-bait-and-switch.html?_r=0

Last edited:
We have a solar system

Our newly installed system is supposed to provide roughly 50% of our energy. Unfortunately some existing trees block the morning sun so we are getting about 40%. We are also having issues with the software providing data readout of the system performance during the day (works for five days than doesn't for two and then works again). The installer has been out twice trying to reconcile issues. My advice would be to make sure the estimates take into account shading and find previous clients who are happy with the output software.

We installed a system this year in Hawaii. The payoff there is about the shortest in the country due to their high rates (around 37 cents/kwh), although it is worth doing almost anywhere. Get at least 3 to 4 bids. Be sure your roof has 25 years of life remaining. No issues so far except for the crazy low power bills!

I got 3 bids already but worry of unexpected cost. I live in SF Bay area with lot of Sun shine. Also installer I plan to sign with and panels manufacturer give 15 years warranty. Have you had your property tax going up?

Each state has their own policies re solar and prop tax. I didn't even check however, and have not had a new assessment yet.

I've had a system for 4.5 years here in Phoenix. Technically, it was a prepaid lease not a purchase but it only required a single upfront payment and I have the use of the system for 20 years. In two years I have the option to purchase the system outright at what amounts to a nominal cost. The system which provides about 2/3 of my electricity usage has saved me approximately $1500/year and has already paid for itself. I've had no issues so far (knock on wood) and as I understand it, the panels will last a long time without failure. I've tried cleaning the panels on occasion but considering the time spent, it's probably not worth the bother. Sometime after year 10, I expect the string inverter will fail and have to be replaced. The only maintenance with it is to periodically vacuum the dust off the fan grills.

The utility is trying to end net metering and that's probably going to happen. However, I've been grandfathered so far and expect that will continue at least through the term of my prepaid lease. You should check into the situation in California to see what changes are coming to the rate structures there.

There is considerable debate over which type of inverter to get: the conventional string type which requires a single large box mounted at ground level, the microinverter which has one small inverter attached to each panel on the roof, and finally the optimizer approach which combines features of both other types. You may want to check out the forums at solarpaneltalk for more information. As for property taxes increasing, that probably depends on the state. You would need to check what the law is in Cali. My insurance was not affected but that may be in part because the system is leased and is insured by the lessor.

Re inverter choice: a lot is sometimes made of how you can observe individual panel production if you have a microinverter system. I would jsut say that after 4 years, I've gone from checking my solar output several times a day to once every couple of weeks so I'm not sure that's a feature worth paying any extra for.

Last edited:
Before you decide, look at the recent change in net metering for PG&E customers. NME 2.0 is unfavorable to the customer and extends the payback period.

The quality of components varies widely. I talked to two vendors using US made components. They provided a lot more detail about what they would install and why.

I would avoid Solar Clty....

There's a thread by RobbieB that covers his recent installation. He got in under the more favorable NME 1.0 and got a good time of use plan. Neither is available now. I decided to hold off because of the changes. Prices should come down once people realize the net metering is less favorable and there is a fee to tie to the grid.

ETA: In California, active solar systems are excluded from taxation as new construction. Originally this exclusion would have expired this year. It has been extended to 2025 IIRC.

Last edited:
BTW both vendors offered 25 year warranties on the equipment and the workmanship.

We purchased our solar system two years ago with a net metering arrangement. We did not opt for batteries/backup. The system has been problem free during that time and has significantly lowered our electric bill. We deciding to replace our older roof in order to sidestep future issues with the roof which might require removing the panels. The only other issue was the tax credit. The tax credit is offered against taxes "owed" which means if you don't owe federal taxes, you receive no credit.

I'm very happy with my little array. All is going as planned.

I'll probably pay $50 to 100 bucks a year for juice the rest of my life.

We had Solar installed in 2004. We paid 4.95 per month for interconnection fees until sometime this year when it went up to 12 bucks or something like that. Until late 2014, we had no electric bill except for the interconnection fee, and in fact PG&E paid us about $90 per year for a couple of those years for excess feed to them. Then, in late 2014, several components failed at the same time. We had to sort of re-design the system, replace 20 out of 80 solar panels (which had failed, but replaced under warranty), remove the battery backup system (that was never required anyway), and replace failed inverters and charge controllers with a single integrated unit. I can't remember the individual costs, but all totaled, getting the system up and running again cost $8500. During the 8-9 months that our solar was down, we spent maybe $2700 on electricity. That said, we are pretty careful with electrical usage...using the whole house fan most days instead of A/C, etc. BUT, we do have a pool, and the filter runs 5 hrs a day for 6 months of the year, and 1.5 hours per day the other 6 months. Water is from the well, and we irrigate about half an acre of grass from the well. Our neighborhood is a little community of 2 acre parcels. Most of our neighbors spend about $6000 per year on electricity. So, if we include the 11 full years of production and discount the months that were off, and add the cost of repairs, our system is not paid for yet (assuming a normal family in the neighborhood using $6000 per year), but with those parameters, it would be about paid off in one more year (except for cost of capital). That said, these systems were much more expensive in 2004 than they are now. All in all though, I'm mostly happy with it. My biggest problem was finding someone to repair it. Most solar companies around here do the leaseback thing, and no one wants to work on owned systems. I finally ran into a previous neighbor, who had gotten into the solar business after he left our neighborhood, and I was able to get him to do it.

With electricity where I live in Texas at $.0739/kwh, it becomes very hard make the economics work for rooftop solar, in particular given the serious risk of hail damaging the panels before their effective life is over. (Last spring we had a big enough hail storm that the mobile auto hail repair folks showed up in force)
Many studies have shown that Utility scale solar is is more cost effective at a cost to the transmission provider of $.04/kwh or so.

..Many studies have shown that Utility scale solar is is more cost effective at a cost to the transmission provider of $.04/kwh or so.
Yet, they are reluctant to do it.

I think it is because on a cloudy day or at night, homeowners with solar panels have the grid to fall back on, but the grid itself has no backup!

Well, if they have to maintain the full thermal generation facilities for backup, in addition to the full-scale solar plants, there goes the savings.

Nah, we just burn coal here. solar panels = NBD.

I've had solar panels here in the north bay area for 10 years now. They paid themselves off at about 8 years (paid off the cost after rebates and tax advantages). Maintenance costs have been exactly zero over that time, and the output of the system has declined only negligibly. I'm very happy that we installed them.

Our 9.4kw system is approaching 4 yrs old. Things I learned. 1) don't install a pv system on an old roof. 2) get multiple quotes 3) understand your power company position on residential solar 4) ask for referrals and visit their install site 5) make sure you have done all the easy energy conservation steps around the house before you do your install.

We've had zero maintenance costs. In a year or so we will likely begin paying an annual fee for the install contractor to make an annual check of our system. Payback for us will be less than 5.5 yrs.

My wife and I live in Austin, Texas and have had a 6 KW system installed on our roof since late summer of 2012. Fortunately, we received a subsidy from Austin Energy at that time for around $15,000 (or $2.50/Watt). The total installation costs plus panels, racks and inverter came out to $25,000.

With the Austin Energy subsidy, our out-of-pocket cost was $10,000. However, we got a 30% government credit so really our cost was $7,000. I calculated that for the four years from 2013 to 2016, our energy savings added up to $3,047 or about $762/year. At this rate, it will be 9 years before we get our money back. Anything beyond that will be a plus for us.

As for property tax, we filed an exemption with Travis County every year so our house appraisal value is increased by the current market price of the panels but we don't get taxed on that so that is a plus.

Hope this helps.

We have a 10-panel SolarCity system that has been running since August 2015. It has been trouble-free and delivers about 40% of our usage, which is in line with SC's estimates. Initially they had planned a 75% install, but decided to restrict the panels to the garage roof rather than having panels also on the house roof.

We use a Power Purchase Option with no cash from us. New Hampshire has no incentives other than net metering, and that is "capped". I ran the numbers on buying the system and the payoff was too far out to be worthwhile. I didn't put this system in to save money - it does but not enough to be meaningful. Rather, I like the idea of reducing dependency on fossil fuels.

We have a 10-panel SolarCity system that has been running since August 2015. It has been trouble-free and delivers about 40% of our usage, which is in line with SC's estimates. Initially they had planned a 75% install, but decided to restrict the panels to the garage roof rather than having panels also on the house roof.

We use a Power Purchase Option with no cash from us. New Hampshire has no incentives other than net metering, and that is "capped". I ran the numbers on buying the system and the payoff was too far out to be worthwhile. I didn't put this system in to save money - it does but not enough to be meaningful. Rather, I like the idea of reducing dependency on fossil fuels.
Yes, the idea of reducing , even a little bit, dependency on fossil fuels of our house and with millions of similar installations within the US - our country on imports of oil appeal to me as well. The company which I just signed contract with made a preliminary analyses and promise to reduce our electric bill on average from $80 per month to about $8. With 30% Fed Tax rebate we would see the system pay off in 8.5 years, then the energy is going to be almost free.

With 30% Fed Tax rebate we would see the system pay off in 8.5 years, then the energy is going to be almost free.
So with zero rebate you pay it off in about 12 years. Sounds like a great deal anyway.

Back
Top Bottom