Are you fitter than the average guy? (article)

I'm running the Tashka 50k around Tuscaloosa, AL in December
and the MS50k around Laurel, MS in March.

Both should be quite a challenge for me. I've done the 25k trail run a couple years in a row, then the Mobile, AL marathon in January. It will be a long day on the trail for me, but it will be AWESOME to call myself and Ultra-Runner!
:dance:

Home
Mississippi 50 Trail Run
Best of luck!!

A great deal of research has established pretty well that fitness tends to be task specific. Even bicycling will not transfer very well to running, and swimming even less. Partly because the ankle flexibiity required by fast swimming makes a runner somewhat more prone to ankle injury.

Would definitely agree with this. I have found that even jogging on a treadmill doesn't transfer well to jogging on pavement. Having done all my cardio for about 2 years straight on a treadmill in a gym, I was able to go for 40 minutes at a 8mph pace. Decided to go out for a run one day around the local track and could barely make it 1 mile at the same pace.

doxeyweb said:
I've been cycling for years but picked up the running bug a few years ago. I'm not some ultra skinny athlete, I average around 220lbs year round, but ran my first marathon in January of this year.
Started trail running last year and I'm scheduled for my first 50k or 32mile run in 3 weeks!
I like running in the dirt because its a little slower pace and much softer than running on asphalt.
Wish me luck!

I think the key is to come up with a routine that you enjoy and you WANT to do a few times per week...

Good luck! 50k - that's crazy long - you better pack a lunch.

I'm running the Tashka 50k around Tuscaloosa, AL in December
and the MS50k around Laurel, MS in March.

Both should be quite a challenge for me. I've done the 25k trail run a couple years in a row, then the Mobile, AL marathon in January. It will be a long day on the trail for me, but it will be AWESOME to call myself and Ultra-Runner!
:dance:

Any suggestions for the big day...

Tashka 50k Home
Mississippi 50 Trail Run Home
Looks fun! Start slow, and keep up with your fueling, both food and drink. Whatever looks good at an aid station is probably what your body needs, so that's what you eat. The most common causes of a race going bad are poor pacing, electrolyte imbalance and stomach issues. Walk the uphills, especially if you can't see the top. You'll burn a lot of energy trying to run up a hill and won't go much faster than you can with a good power walk. Keep your salts up, either with food or salt capsules or fancier stuff like S-Caps or Endurolytes. Gatorade doesn't have enough sodium by itself. Ginger capsules work well for many to soothe the stomach.

Most of all, enjoy it!

Ok, so this morning I went out and ran as far as I could go, as fast as I could go, in 12 minutes. I rated at the bottom end of good, or the top end of fair (depends on your perspective). I am not a runner, and I felt more pain in my legs than in my inability, cardiovasculary (is that a word), to complete the run.

Earlier last month, I completed a 460 mile ride across North Carolina. I averaged 70 miles per day for 7 days, at a 15 mph pace. Three of the days, sans mountains, I averaged 17 mph. I had no problems.

Seems to me, there may need to be a different test for folks that are better suited to other activities than just running.

I am age 47 and in the top 1% on this chart. I run an average of 3 times per week for 20 minutes, just about all out.

I also go to the gym about 3 times per week on the other days for working on the muscles.

This routine plus dating 20 year old Ladies !!!

You'll be dead soon. :D

I guess its my day to pick on and be somewhat jealous of Karmer

One data point - since I'm still drilling in the Navy Reserve I get the pleasure of the twice yearly physical fitness test.
10 days ago:
Age 55, 203 lbs
1.5 miles in 11:42 so upper good - but zero fun
I have found that exercise is a lot tougher over the last two years.

This routine plus dating 20 year old Ladies !!!

You'll be dead soon. :D

I guess its my day to pick on and be somewhat jealous of Kramer
Thanks, Steve :)

It does keep me pretty busy :cool:

Mom still wants to visit even though she has seen the pictures.

For the most part, the other expats here don't exercise and think I am crazy.

I have found that exercise is a lot tougher over the last two years.
Wait until you are a decade older (I turn 65 on Jan 1) :LOL: ...

I'm not as fit as the "average guy", but I believe I'm as fit as any guy my age (I earned it :facepalm: )...

Back
Top Bottom