Are You Middle Class (Calculator)?

The calculator bases the class on income, so it doesn't need to assume anything about spending.

That's why you can't tell by just looking at people's situations if they are middle class or otherwise. Some folks borrow to the hilt and live well, but spend every dime on making payments (with interest.) They appear to be middle class, but their income would say otherwise. My BFF comes to mind. 78 and in debt half a Mil. But seems solidly middle class or higher. And, I guess his income would support that. 2 SS and a megacrop pension adds up. But, what a way to live, deciding what bills can wait and what absolutely has to be paid this month. I couldn't live like that.

Others (probably like me - especially when I was w*rking.) drive older cars, live in older houses, buy fewer "designer" clothes, take fewer exotic trips (though I did visit Hawaii 12 time while I was w*rking), etc. People observing me would say "lower middle class" I'm guessing, but in any case, I never projected wealth - nor do I now. Just not my style nor is it "me." YMMV

That's why you can't tell by just looking at people's situations if they are middle class or otherwise. Some folks borrow to the hilt and live well, but spend every dime on making payments (with interest.) They appear to be middle class, but their income would say otherwise. My BFF comes to mind. 78 and in debt half a Mil. But seems solidly middle class or higher. And, I guess his income would support that. 2 SS and a megacrop pension adds up. But, what a way to live, deciding what bills can wait and what absolutely has to be paid this month. I couldn't live like that.

Others (probably like me - especially when I was w*rking.) drive older cars, live in older houses, buy fewer "designer" clothes, take fewer exotic trips (though I did visit Hawaii 12 time while I was w*rking), etc. People observing me would say "lower middle class" I'm guessing, but in any case, I never projected wealth - nor do I now. Just not my style nor is it "me." YMMV

As the famous author Gabriel Garcia Marquez said:

“No, not rich. I am a poor man with money, which is not the same thing"

Someone on here has it as a signature line and I always appreciate the reminder when I see it.

The calculator bases the class on income, so it doesn't need to assume anything about spending.

In this context have never taken the term middle classd to mean anything other than income and/or lifestyle. I think the association to class was initially posted in this thread as a joke but many are apparently taking the word class quite literally in my opinion. As I stated in the OP my intent was to have fun with this “calculator”.

As the famous author Gabriel Garcia Marquez said:

“No, not rich. I am a poor man with money, which is not the same thing"

Someone on here has it as a signature line and I always appreciate the reminder when I see it.

According to Wikipedia, his pronouncement seems self revealing. Apparently when he decided to write perhaps his most successful w*rk, he had to live on credit (back when you had to beg the land lord not to throw you out and ask the butcher and baker to carry you because you were penniless.) Apparently, this went on for 18 months during his writing. BUT the book (in English) "One Hundred Years of Solitude" was very successful and refilled his coffers.

Thus "a poor man with money," I suppose.

I often feel that way because I can remember (mostly fondly, actually) the very lean years. YMMV

When I used the calculator it said that I am middle class. Then it tells me that my income is low for my zip code:)). That’s because it’s a very wealthy part of town that I love because it’s older and really beautiful. However, luckily for me there’s some regular priced condos mixed in with all the expensive houses and condos.

The Millionaire Next Door is popular b/c you have folks who've never had a high income. Just saved and LBYM. After many years their NW is much higher than high-income earners who spent every last penny on living a high-class life. What's the point of a high income? What's the point of a middle-class income? It's how you live and spend your money that counts.

Will it make me feel any better or live any better if I find that I am in the so called upper middle class or if my FA says we are high net worth clients?? Or lower middle class or working class. What is with the phobia:confused:

Absolutely not. Carry on as before. This is nothing but an ego exercise. It has no other value. I have never understood this apparent NA focus of always comparing yourself to others. Will it change how you live? I do not think so.

Last edited:
I’ve never understood why people feel the need to compare themselves to others so much. I’ve met great people of all income levels, and I’ve met awful people at all levels of wealth.

I’ve never understood why people feel the need to compare themselves to others so much. I’ve met great people of all income levels, and I’ve met awful people at all levels of wealth.

I think comparison is part of the human animal. It's an instinct or hard-wired trait in humans. Controlled, it can be a motivator to compete or improve one's self or situation. Out of control, it can lead to jealousy and all the other bad stuff that (unfortunately) humans are capable of.

Thinking about it, I have a modicum of class, though not an abundance. Therefore, I must be in the middle somewhere :LOL:

Some of us think of the term "middle class" as being purely a financial classification, others think of it more in terms of social class, while others think of it in both terms, as a socioeconomic term. There is so much uncertainty and vagueness about the whole issue, that it's perfect for a nice, long thread in these thar forums!

Speaking with my eldest brother once about our family, he noted that at the turn of the 20th century, we were all solidly working class. Nobody in the family had very much materially, but they were well-mannered, and a number of them were well-read. He found this admirable, and I do too. Being of modest means, yet well-acquainted with the worlds of poetry and literature carries a certain romance. Looking at the photos of them were fascinating, many taken outside terraced houses, and looking very Victorian/Edwardian in their dress. Fast-forward to the 21st century, and most everyone in our family has done well financially. Nevertheless, there is something quite appealing to me about our predecessors of humble means, yet ample grace and robust character.

Last edited:
I think comparison is part of the human animal. It's an instinct or hard-wired trait in humans. Controlled, it can be a motivator to compete or improve one's self or situation. Out of control, it can lead to jealousy and all the other bad stuff that (unfortunately) humans are capable of.
True. I'm not sure why some people get so uptight about it compared to so much other stuff on there. I see comments all the time from people gloating about the millions they've saved, the pensions, the multiple homes, they they were high income, that they paid the max into SS, that they don't include SS in their calculations, etc. etc. This thread seems pretty mild and conservative by comparison.

A nice description of my own predecessors - thanks! :flowers:

Nevertheless, there is something quite appealing to me about our predecessors of humble means, yet ample grace and robust character.

+1. Well articulated. We are social animals, and need to have some awareness of how we fit into the rest of the pack if we are to function effectively in society.

I grew up upper middle class (SAHM and engineer dad)... But I thought we were poor because we didn't spend like my peers. I was the youngest of 3 and never got new clothes - just hand me downs. (My younger son can pretty much claim the same thing. LOL). Dad was the typical millionaire next door - socking it away and living below our means. He was able to save enough to pay for all 3 kids at state universities with no debt.

I followed him into engineering so from college on I had a comfortably upper middle class income... and I followed him into frugality, maxing 401k from day 1, etc... socking away for the kids college, paying off my mortgage rather than refi'ing for more spending money.

As retired people our income is made up of fixed sources (my mini-pensions, DH's SS, our rental income) and withdrawals from our nest egg. The withdrawals are small enough the calculator shows us middle middle for our zip. I'm sure by networth, we're much better off than most of our neighbors since our home is paid off, and we have $ in investable assets. We have a beater camping van (2000 dodge ram) and a 2019 rav4... and one of our sons drives a 1999 F150 we own. Our neighbors drive a mix of minivans, bmws, and teslas. We definitely have the junkiest cars on the block. (Ok the rav isn't junk.)

As far as class vs income... I refer you to the countess - Luann de Lesseps "Money can't buy you class".
https://www.google.com/search?q=lyrics+to+%27money+can%27t+buy+you+class%22&rlz=1C1VDKB_enUS952US952&oq=lyrics+to+%27money+can%27t+buy+you+class%22&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i22i30j0i390i395i649.11646j1j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Back
Top Bottom