Are you stashing cash - the paper kind?

Never had cash around. I use CC a lot. If I need cash, I go to ATM to withdraw a few hundred dollars which will last me a long time. I can't think of any reason to horde cash unless I need to be on the road, hiding from authority. That's not likely to happen. ;)

Sometimes power fails for several days maybe longer due to natural disaster. ATMs and credit cards don’t work when that happens.

Sometimes power fails for several days maybe longer due to natural disaster. ATMs and credit cards don’t work when that happens.

Depending where you live, your gas station might not work either after a disaster.

In 2005, after Wilma, in S. Fla, the gas stations were useless without power. Many people drove north up the highway just to get gas so they could drive back to fill their generators.

Most all FL gas stations installed generators after Wilma, so they would work post-storm now, but I'm sure there are many parts of the country where no power = no working pumps.

Anyone stashing cash for an emergency, hurricane, earthquake, etc. would probably do well to include denominations smaller than a C note. In such a situation whatever stores might be open will probably run out of small bills. I suppose you could spend a $100 for a loaf of bread, with no change coming back, but being able to pay with a $5 would leave money for other items.

Yup, that's what we do for potential post hurricane issues.

I know that many members here try to use as little cash as possible, but I was just reading that around half of all monetary transactions in the world are still done in cash. The article was about the huge growth potential for companies dealing in mobile payments like Apple Pay, Venmo, etc., but there are still quite a few dinosaurs (like myself) who pay for lots of things in cash.

I keep a few hundred in $20's. I learned many years ago that C notes are dangerous when I attempted to purchase a six pack in East St Louis late one evening.

I don't mind carrying a few c-notes around, but something about the $50 bill bothers me. For some odd reason I get it confused with a 20, which has happened on more than one occasion.

Ditto. Don't think I've actually spent a $50 thinking it was a $20, but the concern about it makes me avoid $50 bills. I persist in stockpiling hundreds as they come in, the gal is a fan of piling up cash in her purse. Which she persists in leaving lay wherever. That said, I'm the guy who has lost a wallet in the desert and had another come out of my shorts on a Sayulita bus. Both wallets were recovered, but mostly sans cash. She is untouched by cash theft.

Mostly I carry $20s or smaller and do collect small money for the local weekly yard sales.

If I get cash I keep it for no reason. Before Christmas I wanted to send money to a niece to help pay for dinner since she was hosting. I reached in my purse and found 3 c notes and had her brother take them to her. My purse has a lot of money in it, I never even count it. I tossed 17 singles on the table at a buffet as a tip to clean out some of them, lunch for 3 was about $45 so a nice tip.

I keep a pretty good stash of cash. Never know when someone needs to be bailed out of jail in the middle of the night.

It's actually my vacation fund cash prepaid.

But I keep it separate of the family working capital or it'll disappear.

I keep a few hundred in $20's. I learned many years ago that C notes are dangerous when I attempted to purchase a six pack in East St Louis late one evening.

Why on earth were you even in East St. Louis, let alone buying a six pack with a c-note late at night? :facepalm:

I keep a stash of $5,000 in cash sealed with my vacuum seal and hidden away from the house. We lost our home to a wildland fire years ago. We were home, it hit fast and I didn't even have time to grab my wallet. So, no going to a bank, no credit cards, no driver license, nothing to even buy me a burger or a gallon of gas. Not gonna let that happen again. It's hidden well enough that it won't be damaged by fire and if someone finds it, well, good for them!

Why on earth were you even in East St. Louis, let alone buying a six pack with a c-note late at night? :facepalm:
One of my cow*rkers used to hang there. He went to strip clubs, he said..... well never mind.

I like the idea of stashing some money in the vehicle for an emergency. Never thought of that before, thanks.

Last edited:

As a survivor of the Great Northeast Blackout of 2003 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_blackout_of_2003, I keep cash on hand at home, in the car and in my office for just that reason. I was stuck in my midtown Manhattan office for almost two days with no cash -- hence no food and no transportation -- and no way to get any.

Last edited:
I have been carrying the same couple Hundred bucks in my pocket for over a year now..... I use a credit card for everything...... I can see the day when Cash is obsolete....

You can't even get a Glass of Wine on the Plane anymore with Cash..

Last edited:
I like to keep some 20's at home, don't really need to keep more, we have lots of food.
This is what I'm looking for:
Printing-Money-iStock-186377700.jpg

I usually have enough fuel in my car to get home, where I have a lot of food, 3 more vehicles from which I can get some gasoline, a 4kW generator in the RV I can fire up to charge my 22kWh lithium battery to run the fridge, guns and ammo, etc...

And so, I do not have a lot of cash on hand, and usually less than $20 in my wallet. My wife may have a few hundred tucked somewhere.

When traveling, either domestically or abroad, we carry a few hundred bucks worth of cash.

I ininstalled a small safe between wall framing in my den that serves as my home office, & then put a picture over it. DW doesn't even know it's there, & has no reason to look for it.

I keep between $3-$5,000 in cash, mostly $100s, but lots of $20s, too. I use it as vacation money, & to buy her small gifts that she's unable to track (she handles the finances, so CC purchases show up quickly). Not really emergency funds, more like money to play with.

This quote is from the previous "Keeping emergency cash..." thread. I'm not a drinker of spirits, but think if it ever came to trading, a bottle of good booze would be good in exchange for someone who's got something you want! But the reason I'm quoting is that I'm wondering if those unlableled bottles are Westvleteren. The booze lasts "forever", and the Westy 12's might last 3 years before heading down, but the lower abv ones need to be consumed. Where about in the mid-atlantic should I visit?

Good eye, sengsational! Yes, those are Westvleteren Blonde, 8, and 12s, but I only have one left now, sorry! :cool:

We actually remodeled the basement and put in metal shelves, and added a beer fridge upstairs, so now it's a little easier to keep them all in rotation. Other than the Westvleteren, I don't think I've ever had a bottle sit for anywhere close to three years, though! :LOL:

Oh, and when we had an emergency expense early this year, I wound up spending cash from the reserve to soften the blow. I figured there was 100% chance of spending money being (temporarily) tight, and a much lower chance of an emergency need for cash, so I'd take the 100% chance!

We'll build it up again soon.

Good eye, sengsational! Yes, those are Westvleteren Blonde, 8, and 12s, but I only have one left now, sorry! :cool:
I've got one 12 left. I've had it about two years. It's hard for me to find a good time to break into it. I'm certainly not saving it for trade when the SHTF because nobody would appreciate it's value except you, me and braumeister, hehe!

I care 100's all the time. I love to have those big numbered paper dollars in my pocket. I just put another one on the money clip today. I had one years expenses in 100's, 50's & 20's in a save deposit box. Don't ask me why I do, because I can I guess. I love cash and when I throw a 100 down the first thing they do is check to see if it is good. LOL Always makes me smile.

I just heard on the news some states have laws stating a business in their state has to except cash. If they don't they can be prosecuted for not excepting cash. So many places don't want cash anymore.

I just heard on the news some states have laws stating a business in their state has to except cash. If they don't they can be prosecuted for not excepting cash. So many places don't want cash anymore.

I've always been under the impression that cash is legal tender and must be accepted by law. Therefore, it seems odd that new laws need to be passed to force businesses to follow what's already in the law.

Back
Top Bottom