Are your neighbors ignoring the stay at home orders?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meanwhile, the state's still open are getting revenue, and not burning through their unemployment money.

Of course the big question: is that better than allowing the virus to burn through the population quickly and potentially overload medical resources?

The answer is likely very different if you are unemployed and uninfected vs seriously ill trying to get medical care.

We’ve cut down on our daily auto trips in/out of our neighborhood to 1x/dy. We have horses boarded at a ranch about 3 miles away - that are largely self-care. We’ve worked with other boarders/friends to split duties, so there are no instances of multiple people occupying the space. We do our grocery shopping 3x/wk on our way to/from horse care - to minimize outside exposure. Fortunately, we live in an area where a city transitions to rural county land, with a very minimal population density. I still go on my evening walk, but am fortunate to be able to walk across land on paths that are almost never travelled by anybody (even in ‘normal’ times). The back country behind our neighborhood used to be a motorcycling mecca a decade or more ago, but the greens worked to close it down, so now there are tens of miles of former trails that I can hike in...and never see anybody else. Since I’m a bit of a recluse, I’m totally happy just walking by myself.

We live in a desert area, popular with “snowbirds” - many of which have returned to their home bases (Wisconsin, Illinois, Washington, etc.) before everything was closed down, so our neighborhood is now only about 30% occupied. So, I’m seeing a LOT less activity out and about. Evidently, many (not all) of the remaining people are taking the stay at home order seriously.

I cant help think the studies of this disease and how it spread will make very interesting reading in about two years. I was looking at this sites predicted curve for Florida. This is data as of April 1. There is quite a bit of upside if social distancing is not observed. Looking at the final curves of the various states vs their start of mandatory strict social distancing will be interesting so say the least.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/proj...J5eQ8SXE9RY96dPCP5BLozhNnKmaS5IX3G9v0E7ogVFqM

Interesting site, may be very interesting to see if the population is really committed to staying away. Thanks.

Around our neighborhood people are paying attention to the order. The normal behavior is to congregate at the grocery store in the afternoon and chat. It's like a big social hour. I've avoided the store during that time so I couldn't say everyone is staying apart. When I go in the middle morning folks are social distancing. They haven't had to limit the numbers in the store yet.

The rural states need to have a stay at home directive just like the rest of us. The directive in even the strictest areas still allows for people to go out and shop for essentials, as well as to get fresh air an exercise. But it shuts down areas where people congregate - restaurants, bars, theaters, etc.

Rural states have restaurants and bars just like everyone else. And people who are inside those space are going to be closer than six feet from each other. So they have just as much risk of getting infected as the rest of us.

Stay at home order is way beyond shutting down bars, restaurants, etc. That has been done everywhere I know of. Do you know of anywhere that is still allowing dine in restaurants?

Are my neighbors self isolating? Pretty much so. We are German/Scandinavian and tend to obey rules :) Traffic is way down. People are walking a great deal for exercise and keeping their distance. Of course it helps that our early spring weather is still cold/snowy.

Stay at home order is way beyond shutting down bars, restaurants, etc. That has been done everywhere I know of. Do you know of anywhere that is still allowing dine in restaurants?

I live in California which has one of the strictest orders. And we still have people out and about at beaches and parks, as well as grocery and warehouse stores. I’m not aware of any type of activity that we are restricting in California that would be deemed safe in a rural state. Six feet is six feet whether you are in New York or Nebraska.

Or maybe they are not as densely populated and don't need quite as drastic of action?

Or maybe those particular states have a lah-dee-dah, laissez-faire, who needs government, libertarian ethos until the SHTF, then they’re all “Where’s my FEMA?!” I grew up in one, so I know the culture.

Last edited:
Or what? Jail?

Or you could end up looking like a certain NY mayor...

March 3
“If you’re under 50 & you’re healthy, which is most NYers, there’s very little threat here. This disease, even if you were to get it, basically acts like a common cold or flu. And transmission is not that easy,”
Today's estimate of deaths:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 11.05.52 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 11.05.52 AM.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
I live in a single-family-home neighborhood in the suburb, with each house on a decent lot with a front and back yard. The backyards all have block fence. People usually stay indoors, pre and post virus.

The governor just issued a stay-at-home order earlier this week. Outdoor activities are allowed, but with social distancing. We still go for our walk twice a day, and occasionally encounter other walkers, quite often another couple like ourselves. Either we or they would change to the other side of the street, such that we do not pass within 30 ft of each other.

I often see neighbors talking to one another, while standing closer to each other than 6 ft. On occasions when we stop and chat with neighbors, we make sure we are more than 10 ft away.

Our walks are much less hazardous than a dash to the grocery stores.

Last edited:
My neighbors are quite far away. We are currently on 300 acres. A couple of weeks ago we saw two people out on horseback - probably our neighbors up the hill. We see the farmer who rents the land out using some farm equipment a couple of days a week.

Other than that just postperson and occasional other delivery person. We are 5 miles out from the closest town.

Pretty quiet in our parts, but we are out in the country. We did have a neighbor that appeared to have a get together with about 8 cars parked in front of their house about a week ago, but nothing like that since. I don't know the last time I saw a car drive by (although we are on a cul-de-sac).

We ordered door dash a few days ago and the delivery person was just standing at the front door...even though we put in the instructions to leave it at the door. He really acted like he wanted me to open the door, but I refused. After just staring at me through the glass in the door for about 10 seconds, he finally left.

Pretty quiet in our parts, but we are out in the country. We did have a neighbor that appeared to have a get together with about 8 cars parked in front of their house about a week ago, but nothing like that since. I don't know the last time I saw a car drive by (although we are on a cul-de-sac).

We ordered door dash a few days ago and the delivery person was just standing at the front door...even though we put in the instructions to leave it at the door. He really acted like he wanted me to open the door, but I refused. After just staring at me through the glass in the door for about 10 seconds, he finally left.
Waiting for a tip?

Or maybe they are not as densely populated and don't need quite as drastic of action?

The problem is that people move around a lot. And I mean a LOT.

Unless you are going to barricade the place and not let anybody or anything from the outside in over the next month or two, the virus has a very good chance of getting in.

In my state it started in a densely populated city. It has now traveled to every county but 3. And that is just the confirmed cases. Many knowledgeable people suspect that if we could test everybody, those three also have the virus.

Last edited:
. Six feet is six feet whether you are in New York or Nebraska.

I'm convinced some people won't get it until they are involuntarily 6 feet under.

Unless all the volleyball players live together, it's a problem with just 2 players.

If you think about it, everyone playing is sweating, and no doubt touching their face, and then touching the ball.

So, in effect, the ball is the carrier.

Same with playing catch, tennis, basketball, etc.

Sweat is not a carrier of COVID-19.

Sweat is not a carrier of COVID-19.

For volleyball, let's call it a catalyst. A moist carrier of the drops transferred from the hands. And then there is the explosive breathing on your teammates and the ball.

Here's the other thing. Watch a volleyball game. Hand claps with your teammates and the opposing team is an ingrained cultural element. (One that is likely to change.) It happens after EVERY SINGLE play. Even with the opposing team! It is just a thing.

I can't think of a better team sport to spread germs than volleyball.

Very little motor vehicle traffic here. Very little sidewalkers too. Very little "bad behavior" Things are pretty much dead.

The heavy breathing related to the sweat is a major cause.

In addition to that all it takes is one person with the virus to wipe their nose then touch the ball. Then everyone else touches the ball and gets infected. Then they take it home to their families and they take it to the grocery store, gas station, ect. So it goes from one person having it to possibly dozens or more and is completely avoidable.

For volleyball, let's call it a catalyst. A moist carrier of the drops transferred from the hands. And then there is the explosive breathing on your teammates and the ball.

Here's the other thing. Watch a volleyball game. Hand claps with your teammates and the opposing team is an ingrained cultural element. (One that is likely to change.) It happens after EVERY SINGLE play. Even with the opposing team! It is just a thing.

I can't think of a better team sport to spread germs than volleyball.

If someone sneezes on the ball, then in theory it could spread.

But sweat is not a carrier.

Sweat could become carrier as exhaled virus falls to arms and hands and lands on sweat.

My neighbor, the one who's out and about even though he's 60+ and has COPD, had 4 cars/trucks and a U-Haul parked outside the house this AM. Stuff was being moved in, not out and I think the others were his adult kids and -yes- small grandchildren running in and out. I noticed an older guy- maybe the elderly Dad of one of the couple- as well.

Why don't people get it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom