Asset Allocation Plan Ruins Fun

T

TromboneAl

In the past, when the market's taken a dip, I've been able to make myself feel better by putting some more into my stock funds. I feel like I'm getting bargain price, and "buying in the dips."

But I'm sticking with my 60/40 asset allocation, and stocks are still above 60, so I can't do that. :(

The only feel good investment move I could think of so far this week is to find a better hiding spot for the silver bags and promote the Krugerrands from the sock drawer to the safety deposit box. :D

Krugerrands eh, as Dr Phil would say, "Hows that working for you?"

I do have a few I inherited but don't even think of then in my financial planning.

yakers said:
Krugerrands eh, as Dr Phil would say, "Hows that working for you?"

I do have a few I inherited but don't even think of then in my financial planning.

Maybe you should? In the past five years they have gone from about $280 to almost $500 per coin. I think the S&P is lagging that. :)

Ha

Heh, I have a "back door" allocation to gold. Dad sells jewelry. Guess what he is sitting on a pile of? He'll never spend it all, so I suspect that a substantial portion of my inheritance will be heavy and yellow.

Seriously, he also has a collection of comemorative-type gold coins that he bought mostly in the 1980s that have pretty much sat in the garage in their snazzy proof cases for a looooonnnnggg time. Beyond the value of the gold, is there a way to find out what these things are worth? These coins are things like a very nicely illustrated/struck/whatever gold coin commemorating some anniversary of the Korean War.

"These coins are things like a very nicely illustrated/struck/whatever gold coin commemorating some anniversary of the Korean War."

After the initial sale, these type of coins usually do not sell at a premium to the gold content; especially if they are not issued by a government agency.

Holding physical gold is not usually a good investment nor is it a great way to hold money in case of an economic collaspe. There are only two reasons I can think of to hold physical gold - 1. Escaping from a oppresive country (Hitler's Germany or USSR) and hyper inflation (post WWI Germany).

Physical gold doesn't pay dividends and costs to store and insure. It would be better to invest in gold stocks.

I the case of economic collaspe (when paper money becomes usesless) holding physical gold is of limited value - except for large purchases - a car or house. It would be difficult to go to the baker and try to buy a loaf of bread with an ounce of gold. Better for these times would be pre 1965 USsilver coins. However, how many people know that pre 1965 US coinse were silver?

Me!! 8)

Still come across silver coins in circulation occasionally; they go into the old coin/silver coin box in my drawer. Don't count on them for anything, though; will probably give to future grandkids.

brewer12345 said:
Seriously, he also has a collection of comemorative-type gold coins that he bought mostly in the 1980s that have pretty much sat in the garage in their snazzy proof cases for a looooonnnnggg time.  Beyond the value of the gold, is there a way to find out what these things are worth?  These coins are things like a very nicely illustrated/struck/whatever gold coin commemorating some anniversary of the Korean War.
Try the magazine/newspaper "Coin World" which is most likely carried at your local library. That will give you an idea of the value of the coins. Before you think about selling, be aware of the very, very significant buy/sell markup from the dealers you will be most likely working with. Depending on quality/amount, auction may be better, although expensive too.
Uncledrz

Back
Top Bottom