AT&T (T) stock price spiral

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sell enough to get your original investment back, plus maybe some profit depending on your situation, and let the rest ride. If you’re already in a loss position, balance the write off with some of your winners and just get out of it.

Ask yourself why you purchased the shares in the first place? Then ask yourself if the reason(s) still hold true today?

If you chased the dividend, company has made perfectly clear that the dividend will be slashed heavily. It's been known for some time now. If you're still clinging to the hope of a fat dividend for the long-term, give up that notion, sell it all, and take your lumps. Shares will likely head even lower in to year end as tax selling escalates.

I had gotten out quite a while ago. I was surprised to see how they have kept going down. They aren't one I am currently watching so not up on any news or whether or not there is hope for recovery. In the past, they have typically traded in a pretty narrow range, but paid a good dividend. But, over the last year, they have not recovered.

I held T for a good while from 2012-2018 for the guaranteed Div payment. Set it and forget it.

I dropped them when they acquired Warner.

If you have held T for a long time you can at least take solace in the dividend payouts over that period.

I traded it for a while, collecting the yield and some short term profits. I find it uninvestible at the moment.

I'm still holding and buying a bit ... don't see a major issue in the future, but there will be some turbulence.

The dividend will obviously decrease, but ATT is a very large company - that has been whacked due to previous bad management decisions.

I’m selling a little (tax loss for 2021) and holding on otherwise to see specifics once DISCA is spun out.

Mod Note:

A number of political comments were removed. We understand politics may be inextricably intertwined with the stock situation, but let's keep partisan stuff out of the thread to allow it to stay open.

I suspect it is spiraling down over the past week because it went ex-Dividend about a week ago and there is only one more quarter of fat payout (IIRC), so those who were hanging on for the last month or so to collect another dividend payment want to sale now and not continue to wait closer to the date of the spinoff, putting extra pressure on the stock. Couple that with year end tax planning which is also likely putting pressure on the share price. As most stocks are up for the year, so those selling other securities and capturing capital gains may be looking at their laggards to sale now as part of their end tax planning, especially if they did not want to hold through the spinoff.

I own a small amount of shares in my IRA.

It was around $33 when the spinoff was announced. Now it's 25 and change. Down approximately 22%

Militant T backers on the yahoo message board are claiming manipulation.
I believe their theory goes something like this. The analyst's are downgrading the stock in the hope that people keep selling & the institutions/funds can then buy shares on the cheap.

I don't buy it.

I own a small amount of shares in my IRA.

It was around $33 when the spinoff was announced. Now it's 25 and change. Down approximately 22%

Militant T backers on the yahoo message board are claiming manipulation.
I believe their theory goes something like this. The analyst's are downgrading the stock in the hope that people keep selling & the institutions/funds can then buy shares on the cheap.

I don't buy it.
I don't buy that logic either, since if one is a long term investor then a dip for 12-18 months would not be of any concern and would in fact be helpful if one was DRIPping the stock or wanting to buy more.

I am not sure at what level the price of $T would become irresistible but there will be some value in the stock post spin-off. I mostly think things should improve for all the telecom service providers over time after the Sprint/T-Mobile merger has left 3 big players, where they should all have more pricing power. But then again the industry spent $81 Billion on 5G spectrum earlier this year. I am still stunned by that number which will take a long time to pay off and does not include equipment upgrades and personal costs. A very capital intense business and they seem to sponsor every sporting event with large advertising budgets.

The chart included in the link is the most telling IMO.
The long red candlestick in the middle, is from the day they announced their latest plan.
Doesn't look like a Wall Street is impressed.
29143-albums238-picture2480.png

Last edited:
T's Board and Execs wanted to get into the Entertainment business. So much sexier and exciting than the Comm industry.
Vz did the same thing buying into Paramount in the 90s and their big content purchases (Yahoo, Huffpost, AOL, etc) in the 2000's.
They'll still have a good core business of retail, cell, and backhaul, along with their backbone internet. Probably going to take awhile to with me that debt back down though.
These guys are never content to just grow the core business and return the profits to investors via dividends or even stock repurchases.

Look on Twitter for the spoof commercial. They may have alienated a potential 50% of their customers. Can I say that? Otherwise my lips are sealed due to forum guidelines. One of my friends is dropping them because of it and says many of her friends and family are, too.

Look on Twitter for the spoof commercial. They may have alienated a potential 50% of their customers. Can I say that? Otherwise my lips are sealed due to forum guidelines. One of my friends is dropping them because of it and says many of her friends and family are, too.

I have no idea what your post means.

AT&T (T) stock price spiral

I have no idea what your post means.

You can Google it but I personally don’t buy that T’s stock price has been going down due to political reasons. It may have an immaterial effect but I think GravitySucks explanations make more sense.

You can Google it but I personally don’t buy that T’s stock price has been going down due to political reasons. It may have an immaterial effect but I think GravitySucks explanations make more sense.

I googled 'Twitter AT&T spoof commercial' & came up with nothing.
Could you be a little more specific please.

Buying T in early 2020 was probably one of my biggest investing mistakes in many many years! My goal was to begin building a dividend portfolio as I was approaching retirement. I have always sought to avoid dividends in favor of growth.

Most of the companies I bour were "dividend champions" or whatever the trem was that had a very long history of increasing dividends.

When I looked at the situation with T I shook my head at their fundamental issues but convinced myself that the shear might of the company would allow management to find a way to keep paying and increasing the dividend. Part of me knew better than to rely on this faith.

I've lost about 35% since then and will be selling and taking my losses.

I bought Royal Dutch Shell the same day. That is down 19% but I suspect it will come back eventually so I plan to hold. The story there is pandemic and oil prices/demand. With T I think the problems are more long term business issues.

I inherited some T in 1991 and have been thinking about selling it for the past 20 years. I should have sold it long ago. May sell it in 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom