At what age did you feel "physically old" and cranky?

I expect there is a correlation between "takes decent care of yourself physically" and "takes care of yourself fiscally"...

I decided decades ago that if we were saving all that money for retirement I was going to need to stay / get in shape to live long and enjoy spending it .(Not the next wife after DH was a widower) :D

I get cranky if people come to visit me while I am trying to work. :cool:

Most are retired people who are bored to death.

I am trying to be nice but not sure for how much longer I can:facepalm:

Last edited:
Definitely gradual, but declining a little faster starting around 63 (now 65).

My main problem is being tired in the evening. Really tired. Doctor checked but never found anything. I don't understand how those older politicians can do all that campaigning.

You notice new things once in a while. I was going to hop over a little wall. Hand on the wall, hop, and it just didn't happen. Like WTH?

What helps: Caffeine. 200 mg at around 2 PM makes a huge difference.

I am not sure exactly what retirement is :cool:
I own a shop that sit idle for over 20 years. I decided two years ago that it needed me back. :D so I started the process of getting it back in tip top shape.
Now that I have accomplished that goal here is what I do.

I buy older golf carts, rebuild anything that makes them look like new again including rebuilding the gas engines and then I sell them.

I had a skill that was not being used so here I am back at what I really enjoy.

This sounds like my plan, I used to buy/fix/sell garden tractors and push mowers, but haven't done it for about 15 years. I'm hoping to get my barn space arrranged, and secure so I can comfortably (heated/air conditioned) work on projects to sell.

You notice new things once in a while. I was going to hop over a little wall. Hand on the wall, hop, and it just didn't happen. Like WTH?

For me, it's handstands. Just noticed a couple of years ago that I can no longer do them. (I can still go up backwards from the wall, but I just cannot flip up like I used to be able to.) I don't know if I forgot how to do it, or my body can't do it anymore. :facepalm:

Last edited:
For me, it's handstands. Just noticed a couple of years ago that I can no longer do them. (I can still go up backwards from the wall, but I just cannot flip up like I used to be able to.) I don't know if I forgot how to do it, or my body can't do it anymore. :facepalm:

I can tell you the date this happened to me: Dec 2004 (Age 51).

We were preparing this Christmas card:

UhCcS95.png

And I found that my arms were too weak to keep me in a handstand (against the wall) even for a second or two. I could only do a headstand.

lxx2iWf.png

Lena did better:

XNkKF6C.png

Last edited:
Al,

Al, it's hard for me to believe your arms are too weak (You're not heavy). I am starting to think my problem is with my back - it's not as bendy as it used to be, and you need a bendy back to go up. Here's how I do my handstand (the first method on this youtube video although I cannot get my body that close to the wall. This method doesn't require a bendy back.)

watch

Al,

Al, it's hard for me to believe your arms are too weak (You're not heavy). I am starting to think my problem is with my back - it's not as bendy as it used to be, and you need a bendy back to go up. Here's how I do my handstand (the first method on this youtube video although I cannot get my body that close to the wall. This method doesn't require a bendy back.)

Al,

Just tried it again. I think my arms might have held out for a little while, but the flip up was indeed problematic. I had Lena help hold my legs up, but I never got them to the wall.

Then the voice that said, "This is probably not a good idea" spoke up.

Then the voice that said, "This is probably not a good idea" spoke up.

I can relate. I was trying to do another backward handstand when DH was ready to leave for grocery shopping (I wasn't even trying to do the flip kind, but just was trying to do the first method on the video - starting with my back against the wall and crawling up with my feet on the wall), and he asked me to wait until he got back home. :blush:

Last edited:
My SO and I were talking yesterday that 70's is when we hit a wall and certain things got harder .

I was bike riding two days ago and came upon a guy riding a bike with panniers in a remote area. It looked like he was riding long distance. Approaching from behind and before I could see his age in his face, I asked, "You riding across the country?" As I pulled along side, he replied, "No, I do this ride out and back three times a week. I'm 80." My jaw dropped (see the route: 33 miles round trip, with 3,300 feet of climbing, all between 4,000 and 6,000 feet). Not on an ebike. This is tough ride anyone at any age. I later learned he is a local, and his older brother is still riding at 90 (he has poor vision and so has to follow someone else closely). Wow.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-29 at 13.58.13.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-07-29 at 13.58.13.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 38
This sounds like my plan, I used to buy/fix/sell garden tractors and push mowers, but haven't done it for about 15 years. I'm hoping to get my barn space arrranged, and secure so I can comfortably (heated/air conditioned) work on projects to sell.
Start planning it now.

The way I do it is I have very little stress from people wanting something repaired right now. I own the carts and when i finish them I sell them for a small profit. Main thing is staying busy where I look forward to getting up in the morning.

Start planning it now.

The way I do it is I have very little stress from people wanting something repaired right now. I own the carts and when i finish them I sell them for a small profit. Main thing is staying busy where I look forward to getting up in the morning.

I tried fixing other people's small engine machines, and hated the pressure, and never fully getting paid for your time invested. I will only buy/fix/sell now.

I'm 38 now, so...

physically I noticed a difference around 32. 2 day hangovers, wtf? Metabolism changed, body composition changed, blood numbers changed, etc. Man, 23 years old was FANTASTIC physically, almost invincible.

mentally I noticed a difference this year. People really seem to be in a big hurry, people seem to have insanely high expectations for everything, and people don't seem to have patience any more. That's when I realized I'm turning into a "get off my damn yard" guy. I'm more resistant to change, I get upset when they move things around at the grocery store, I'm mad when apps update their UI when the old UI was fine. Change for the sake of change bothers me.

I was bike riding two days ago and came upon a guy riding a bike with panniers in a remote area. It looked like he was riding long distance. Approaching from behind and before I could see his age in his face, I asked, "You riding across the country?" As I pulled along side, he replied, "No, I do this ride out and back three times a week. I'm 80." My jaw dropped (see the route: 33 miles round trip, with 3,300 feet of climbing, all between 4,000 and 6,000 feet). Not on an ebike. This is tough ride anyone at any age. I later learned he is a local, and his older brother is still riding at 90 (he has poor vision and so has to follow someone else closely). Wow.

There are always people who surprise us.
I'll never forget being on a Grand Canyon trip once and this older gentleman was always the first one up the cliffs on our hikes, and just seemed to have more energy than most of us. Around the campfire one evening I asked him how he kept in such good shape. Turned out he lived in Phoenix and said he ran up Camelback Mountain every morning before breakfast. Later in the trip he celebrated his 80th birthday.

I still race offroad dirtbikes in Enduros; 100 mile races with time trial sections. It's always a hoot when I get into the pits, pull off my helmet and people can see my white hair and beard. A few will even comment, 'you still racing? Well, good for you!" in a tone as if I just finished all my peas and didn't stain my shirt too terribly in the process. I'll sometimes cup my ear and say huh and when they step closer to my ear, turn and slap 'em!

Last edited:
I tried fixing other people's small engine machines, and hated the pressure, and never fully getting paid for your time invested. I will only buy/fix/sell now.
Same with me. I refuse to do it again.

The only problem I have is when I sell a cart they seem to look to me to repair it if it breaks later on. Got to work on that part.
:D

I have to admit, in my new thing of not complaining, that I usually feel pretty damn good.

“Physically old “ can happen faster than expected with a series of unfortunate accidents. DH (55 and in great shape) is building a deck for our house. DD’s boyfriend came over to help. DH shows off and lifts a large piece of lumber over head at exactly the same time he unfortunately stepped backwards into one of the post holes. Of course he drops the lumber on his own head. (Broken teeth, slight concussion, stunned, neck pain). Then not even two weeks later, he is trotting down our stairs with his hands full. Unexpectedly his feet go out from under him, elbows crush the drywall, his back and ribs crush the step tread. He ends up in ER bc with a fall that bad on top of a recent head injury it’s critical. He thought he broke his spine. The ER rules out broken ribs, bones and internal organ damage and diagnoses bruised ribs and damaged cartilage. This was the most painful injury imaginable. And deep breathing is encouraged to prevent pneumonia but your ribs don’t want you to breathe. These two injuries in close succession make DH measurably old and cranky. And hopefully he will be more careful with his physical condition going forward. We’ve already missed a minor league baseball game, a mountain biking trip, painting our daughters college rental house and finishing the deck project due to these injuries. It’s better to play it safe physically once you’re over 50. Health is the most important thing you possess.

“Physically old “ can happen faster than expected with a series of unfortunate accidents. DH (55 and in great shape) is building a deck for our house. DD’s boyfriend came over to help. DH shows off and lifts a large piece of lumber over head at exactly the same time he unfortunately stepped backwards into one of the post holes. Of course he drops the lumber on his own head. (Broken teeth, slight concussion, stunned, neck pain). Then not even two weeks later, he is trotting down our stairs with his hands full. Unexpectedly his feet go out from under him, elbows crush the drywall, his back and ribs crush the step tread. He ends up in ER bc with a fall that bad on top of a recent head injury it’s critical. He thought he broke his spine. The ER rules out broken ribs, bones and internal organ damage and diagnoses bruised ribs and damaged cartilage. This was the most painful injury imaginable. And deep breathing is encouraged to prevent pneumonia but your ribs don’t want you to breathe. These two injuries in close succession make DH measurably old and cranky. And hopefully he will be more careful with his physical condition going forward. We’ve already missed a minor league baseball game, a mountain biking trip, painting our daughters college rental house and finishing the deck project due to these injuries. It’s better to play it safe physically once you’re over 50. Health is the most important thing you possess.

How very true.

Hope your DH makes a quick recovery.

Nice thread ! Very encouraging to see we are all in the same boat.

I’m not feeling cranky yet at 64 !

I’ve noticed changes since my late 50s.

I had trouble turning my head to see the waves I was trying to catch surfing in Mexico last December. Next time I go I’ll. Bet I can enjoy the waves more on a boogie board. I’m getting to be good friends with physical therapists and body workers. My knee is stiffer and aches a little too. But I still have nice long walks.
The slow gentle yoga classes are way more nurturing than the fast flow classes.

I haven’t done a 100 mile bike ride in 20 years. Now I do 10 mile rides and enjoy. I don’t have the desire anymore to spend most of the day on my bike.

I’ve also gotten better since ER. I changed to the Eat to Live book vegan diet, and weight has stayed down 50 pounds for 4 years now with better blood pressure numbers and great cholesterol ldl of 83 and better sleepy apnea.

I have an acquaintance who had a heart attack recently and know many who are overweight and diabetic. I don’t want to be one of them. I focus on what I can do to have a high quality of life, knowing I can’t control everything and have to have some acceptance and humor about changes. Have all the fun I can, do everything I can, and realize I am luckier than Many people.

Probably best to ER at age 22, or as soon as possible thereafter!

I'm 38 now, so...

physically I noticed a difference around 32. 2 day hangovers, wtf? Metabolism changed, body composition changed, blood numbers changed, etc. Man, 23 years old was FANTASTIC physically, almost invincible.

The hangover part. I had my usual amount and type of beer at a music festival a few days ago and the next day I felt hung over all day. That's (used to be) rare. And some days I just feel "blah" for no reason. I had to change my brand of thyroid meds about a month ago. Maybe that's it. lol

I did a half ironman at age 57. I have arthritis and a bulging disc, also shoulder and hip problems. I find the more I move, the better I feel!

Back
Top Bottom