Att & pots

The Nightmare continues.

After my last experience -- AT&T was insisting it owed a refund that it didn't owe -- I was told that AT&T would NOT send the refund check and all would be well.

A few days after that I received a $16+ refund check. I didn't cash it.

My mom's bank account has closed.

So yesterday I (well, my deceased mom) get a new bill for AT&T. They are billing me $60 for return check fees. This is where AT&T repeatedly kept trying to debit my mom's bank account even though I had repeatedly told them that she was deceased and her bank account was frozen. I had also paid the bill in question by sending a money order but they were still repeatedly trying to do the automatic debit even though told it wouldn't work as my mom was deceased.

Also the are trying to charge for about $15 of the refund which really truly wasn't owed by AT&T. However, the refund check has never been cashed. I can't even cash it as it is payable to my mom and not her estate.

I am in despair on how to resolve this. I put a question on the AT&T community forums and got no response.

I would like to send a letter to someone who might understand and have authority to deal with this. Any ideas of where to send this? Calling obviously does nothing....

I would like to send a letter to someone who might understand and have authority to deal with this. Any ideas of where to send this? Calling obviously does nothing....

How about your state's Attorney General?
That often gets results when nothing else can.

So yesterday I (well, my deceased mom) get a new bill for AT&T. They are billing me $60 for return check fees. This is where AT&T repeatedly kept trying to debit my mom's bank account even though I had repeatedly told them that she was deceased and her bank account was frozen. I had also paid the bill in question by sending a money order but they were still repeatedly trying to do the automatic debit even though told it wouldn't work as my mom was deceased.

I don't think you need to do anything. Unless they have the necessary information to specifically identify you to a credit bureau, why are you concerned? They can bill your deceased mother until the cows come home and you can ignore it all. Your mom is long past worrying about her credit rating. And ATT isn't doing anything personal, it's just their billing computers going though algorithms and doing their thing.

I am in despair on how to resolve this.

Please don't do this to yourself Kat...... You're beating yourself up over nuttin' !

But, if you must........ check to see if your state has an advocacy group you could contact. For example, in Illinois we have CUB (Citizen's Utility Board) which is a non-profit which monitors utilities (and their constant requests for higher rates) and handles situations such as yours.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I know they can't do anything to me personally. However, I am the executor so like to get stuff properly resolved when I can. It is just aggravating to me. I don't want to keep getting letters about this until the end of time.

Or do what a friend of mine did. Write DECEASED on the front of the envelope and have it returned to sender.

It is just aggravating to me.

I am in despair on how to resolve this.

I sometimes get inappropriately wound up over stuff like this too. But, please, take a breath and bring a bit of reality into the situation. Some dufus computer is churning out low dollar amount bills following an algorithm written by some dufus programmer and you're responding like someone is ringing your doorbell with a baseball bat in hand. Try not to do this to yourself. Make a couple calls. Write a couple notes. Keep copies. Then forget about it!

You're so anxious, you're makin' me anxious!

Did you see my suggestion that you check to see if Texas has a utility watchdog / consumer advocate group like we do in Illinois?

Last edited:
If you have an account that has her name as her estate, you can deposit the check... all money received after death is part of the estate even if not titled that way...

Even as the executor it is your responsibility to pay bills that are owed... I had put down that I had huge problems with AT&T messing up my mom's account and even when I proved to them we paid it and then had the bank prove to them we paid it they STILL would not fix it... it is now in collections and they found my home number and called me a few times... since they would not talk to me I got even more fed up... so last time they called I just told them that mom does not live here... they will never find her...

Even as the executor it is your responsibility to pay bills that are owed... I had put down that I had huge problems with AT&T messing up my mom's account and even when I proved to them we paid it and then had the bank prove to them we paid it they STILL would not fix it... it is now in collections and they found my home number and called me a few times... since they would not talk to me I got even more fed up... so last time they called I just told them that mom does not live here... they will never find her...

I know. I am so aggravated because the bill isn't owed. I mean I tried and tried to tell them to quit the automatic debit on her account. They just kept doing it even when the amount due had been paid by money order! I don't want them hounding me for it.

And, I've had several calls to them which every time have taken over an hour and results were promised to no avail.

My DW got a call from a collection agency asking if she knew her (deceased) aunt's current address. She gave them the street address for her cemetery

I know. I am so aggravated because the bill isn't owed. I mean I tried and tried to tell them to quit the automatic debit on her account. They just kept doing it even when the amount due had been paid by money order! I don't want them hounding me for it.

And, I've had several calls to them which every time have taken over an hour and results were promised to no avail.

I am really good at ignoring stuff like this... you should practice doing this yourself...

If they call now I do not answer... if I get mail I either shred or throw away within seconds...

Even though they did hit my mothers credit rating it really does not matter as she will never need it again... and since your relative is deceased there is not need there either...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom