Good friend just died of Pancreatic Cancer

So sorry for your loss.

Spouse lost an uncle to it just a couple of years ago he was around the same age.

My condolences. My own father died from pancreatic cancer at age 83. He passed away exactly one month after he was diagnosed with it. He started feeling not-so-well about 2 weeks prior to diagnosis, but dismissed it as a minor major. He was snowbirding in FL when he started having issues. He set up an appointment with his northern doctor for the day he returned to PA. Scanned that afternoon and diagnosed that night. Time went fast. Thankfully, he escaped most of the pain that many feel from it.

The guy who is still alive--they must have found it very early to enable them to do surgery. That would be my hope--some blood test or something to detect it early so that surgery could be done. For my friend who died last night--when she was diagnosed a month ago it was at stage 4, already spread to her liver so no surgery, no hope.
That is correct. He's once told me that it was found while being treated for an unrelated condition. Just lucky,,,,,, I guess.

That is correct. He's once told me that it was found while being treated for an unrelated condition. Just lucky,,,,,, I guess.
I have a friend like that with ovarian cancer. Surgeon went into remove fibroids and found ovarian cancer. It's been at least 40 years since then and she's doing fine. Another lucky one.

Here's another blood test. Much cheaper. I do one every year.

Just curious about what the additional fee for blood draw is if you don't mind my asking. My doctor's small clinic can do bloodwork but I have no idea what they would charge for a draw. Or I guess I could go with one of the contracted labs.

What a sad, difficult time! I am just so very sorry, Harllee. It sounds like she had alot of people supporting her and I hope you all can support each other during this surreal period. It's stories like these that remind me what a miracle each day is that we all get to wake up and get out of bed...

I'm sorry about your friend, Harllee.

PC took my wife at 54. That's not intended to make you feel better. It's among the worst cancer diagnoses, no matter when it happens.

As others have said, difficult to diagnose until it's too late to successfully treat. She was treatable with chemo and that gave her another 9 months. Very grateful for the extra time, as difficult as it was for her and the rest of us.

A cousin of mine went quickly too. But my old college roommate had his pc discovered when checking for something else. Had surgery and 5 years later is doing well. He’s extremely lucky.
I have a dear friend that had it discovered while checking something else recently so I am praying for the same good outcome as your roommate. He is doing chemo now and then the surgery.

Just curious about what the additional fee for blood draw is if you don't mind my asking. My doctor's small clinic can do bloodwork but I have no idea what they would charge for a draw. Or I guess I could go with one of the contracted labs.
I use a local place that just does blood draws and ships the samples. The test was about $240 and the blood draw and handling the shipping was $40

New Pancreatic Cancer Blood Test 97% Accurate -

...A liquid biopsy assay that combines a microRNA signature and a well-known biomarker for pancreatic cancer has demonstrated an accuracy of 97% for detecting stage I/II pancreatic...The technology was recently licensed to Pharus Diagnostics for commercial development...Almost 4000 subjects have been enrolled in ongoing validation efforts, and efforts are underway to use the test to screen thousands of banked blood samples from the PLCO, a prospective cancer screening trial in healthy subjects..."

Last edited:
New Pancreatic Cancer Blood Test 97% Accurate -

...A liquid biopsy assay that combines a microRNA signature and a well-known biomarker for pancreatic cancer has demonstrated an accuracy of 97% for detecting stage I/II pancreatic...The technology was recently licensed to Pharus Diagnostics for commercial development...Almost 4000 subjects have been enrolled in ongoing validation efforts, and efforts are underway to use the test to screen thousands of banked blood samples from the PLCO, a prospective cancer screening trial in healthy subjects..."

Thanks for this, great news. The question will be who gets screened? Probably would not have helped my friend because she did not have any risk factors but this will be of help to her daughter and grandchildren since there is a genetic factor for pancreatic cancer.

Back
Top Bottom