Authentic Happiness Newsletter

Caroline

Full time employment: Posting here.
"Where to retire?"  "How much to retire with?"  "What to do during retirement?"  I get this authentic happiness newsletter every month - many others here have seen their site -- and this month's seemed relevant.   Here are a few excerpts (as I don't know how to link to it from my mailbox.) 

Authentic Happiness research is based upon work by Martin Seligman, Ph.D.

Predicting Happiness
(Is Like Trying to Predict the Weather)
Ben Dean, Ph.D.

"...interesting research in the area of “affective forecasting” by Nobel Laureate Daniel Kahneman, Harvard Psychologist Daniel Gilbert, and others suggests that most of us are surprisingly inaccurate when it comes to predicting how we will experience future events.

Affective Forecasting

Affective forecasting refers to our ability to predict (or forecast) the emotional impact of a future event. . . . how much will we enjoy our extra free time? How great will it feel when we finally lose those 20 pounds? And how long will those feelings last?

Affective forecasting is an extraordinarily important component of professional and personal decision making. Almost every major decision you have ever made was based, in part, on how you thought it would make you feel in the future.

Given that we routinely factor in the future emotional consequences of events when making decisions, it is reasonable to expect that frequent practice would improve our forecasting abilities. As it turns out, this is not the case. People consistently make systematic errors in affective forecasting. . . . Some examples...

Career Advancement

. . . academics pursuing tenure believe that life will be much, much better if they achieve this goal. They will have the freedom to study the things that most interest them, and they will have job security in an insecure world. However, Daniel Gilbert and colleagues (1998) found that contrary to their predictions, former assistant professors who were passed over for tenure were ultimately no less happy than their tenured colleagues.

Have you ever returned from a glorious vacation in a tropical climate only to question your sanity? Why endure winter after winter when you could be living in Fiji? (Or at least California?) As it turns out, where we live is not as important as most real estate agents would have us believe! Californians are no happier than Midwesterners (Schkade & Kahneman 1998).

What (does) make a difference...are friendships. Indeed, nurturing and fostering social relationships may be one of the most powerful things we can do to boost our own happiness levels.

Money

When are we going to learn that money doesn’t buy happiness? Even the effects of winning the ultimate unlikely jackpot--the lottery--are fleeting (Brickman, Coaes, &Janoff-Bulmna, 1978). The first $40,000, of course, does buy happiness. Moving from zero--a street person with no resources--to $25,000, for example has a huge impact on life satisfaction. But after a certain point, there is virtually no effect. Perhaps the most convincing evidence that money doesn’t buy happiness comes not from a psychologist but from the economist Richard Easterlin. His large-scale surveys of nations and individuals indicate that as people grow richer they do NOT grow happier (provided that they did not start off below the poverty line). You can download some of Easterlin’s articles yourself on his website: http://www-rcf.usc.edu/~easterl/

Why Are We Poor Affective Forecasters?

The research of Daniel Gilbert and others suggests that we humans tend to make a systematic error in judgment which he calls impact bias. Impact bias is our tendency to predict that future events will have a more intense and longer lasting impact on our emotions than they actually do.

We rationalize.

Most people have what Gilbert calls a psychological immune system that protects us from protracted misery. After something unpleasant happens, such as being bypassed for a desired promotion, we begin to consider the silver linings in the cloud. Perhaps that promotion would have meant more late evenings at work and less time with the family.

We have tunnel vision.

When we try to forecast our emotional reaction to an event, we tend to zero in on the event itself and forget about all the background noise in our lives. For example, when considering what it would be like to win a million dollars, we zero in on the glorious day that we receive the check. What we do not take into account are the myriad life events that fill up our time and dampen the impact of the event.

. . .

Final Thoughts

. . . True discontent comes from holding onto the same goals that never made us happy in the first place. In other words, true discontent may come from the expectation that MORE money, a bigger house, or more recognition at work will make us happy in the future when our current lives are rich with evidence to the contrary.

If you can get beyond the psycobabble, common sence and technical terms, this is what Dr. Easterlin is saying in his artlce:

...people allocate a disproportionate amount of time
to the pursuit of pecuniary rather than nonpecuniary objectives, as well as to “comfort” and positional goods, and shortchange goals that will have a more lasting effect on wellbeing. This misallocation occurs because in making decisions about how to use their time, individuals take their aspirations as fixed at their present levels, and fail to recognize that aspirations may change because of hedonic adaptation and social comparison. In particular, people make decisions assuming that more income, comfort, and positional goods will make them happier, failing to recognize that hedonic adaptation
and social comparison will come into play, raise their aspirations to about the same extent as their actual gains, and leave them feeling no happier than before.

As a result, most individuals spend a disproportionate amount of their lives working in order to make money, and sacrifice family life and health, domains in which aspirations remain fairly constant as actual circumstances change, and where the attainment of one’s goals has a more lasting impact on happiness. Hence, a reallocation of time in favor of family life and health would, on average, increase individual happiness.[/quote] Emphasis added.

I can see no better list of reasons to RE.

SteveR said:
...a reallocation of time in favor of family life and health would, on average, increase individual happiness.

I'm no doctor, but I've been saying this ever since I joined this board.  I semi-ERd to spend more time with my family and to lower my stress level.  Now, the most stresss I get is thinking back at the days I would get stressed out.  That's enough motivation for me to appreciate every day of semi-retirement and keep focusing on full ER in a few years.

Is this the site you're referring to:

http://www.authentichappiness.org

Wow, what a lot of pseudo-intellectual writing in that quote! Here's the reader's digest version:

Money doesn't buy happiness, so you should spend more time maintaining your health and being with friends and family.

Back
Top Bottom