Auto insurance with less mileage and 15% discount

fh2000

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We have one 14 year old SUV, 2 drivers with comprehensive coverage. I called Geico to downgrade to liability. I told them since we now drive only once a week to pick up grocery, our annual mileage this year is likely less than 200 miles.

They recalculated with bodily injury kept at 500,000 level to meet umbrella insurance requirement. New premium is $203 for 6 months. I haven't seen this low for a long time.

When we are ready to start driving freely next year, we will get a new car, add more mileage, and see a big jump on premium again I am sure.

We 'shopped' our home insurance this past June when our insurer bumped the premium by 24 percent.

We intend to do the same with our car insurance when it comes up for renewal in October. We are actually driving much more during covid. Days trips to the mountains have replaced out of country travel.

AAA raised my insurance by 50%, I went to Geico, then canceled their insurance. Their response, “we probably could find something lower”, my response “you should have done that in the first place”.
I think companies get lazy, and they count on you being lazy too.

Yes, and our recent experience with home insurance is that renewal costs can be higher that new customer competitive rates. Significantly higher in our experience.

Loyal customers who do not shop or compare sometimes get their loyalty rewarded with higher premium costs.

Back
Top Bottom