Auto Rental Coverage With Credit Card

There's another interesting thread on bogleheads about being hosed by auto rental companies. The story there is the car wouldn't start, so it was towed and replaced, then later the rental company blamed the renter for leaving the lights on and killing the battery. They charged $1000 for towing and repairs. They piled on some damage fees because, why not? When you got someone down, kick 'em again.

Basically, it is getting to the point that walking through a field of landmines is more comfortable than renting a car these days.

There's another interesting thread on bogleheads about being hosed by auto rental companies. The story there is the car wouldn't start, so it was towed and replaced, then later the rental company blamed the renter for leaving the lights on and killing the battery. They charged $1000 for towing and repairs. They piled on some damage fees because, why not? When you got someone down, kick 'em again.

Basically, it is getting to the point that walking through a field of landmines is more comfortable than renting a car these days.

Didn't the tow truck have jumper cables? That's step #1 with roadside assistance for a starting issue. Sounds kind of fishy to me. But I agree that rental cars are a PITA. It's gotten to the point that I take pictures and complain about some defects every time I check out. ( Also be sure the lights are turned off before you call. Even today, not all cars have auto headlights))

Last edited:
Didn't the tow truck have jumper cables? That's step #1 with roadside assistance for a starting issue. Sounds kind of fishy to me. But I agree that rental cars are a PITA. It's gotten to the point that I take pictures and complain about some defects every time I check out. ( Also be sure the lights are turned off before you call. Even today, not all cars have auto headlights))

Who knows? This is second hand, they said-they said. Yet, there's too many stories like this. What we're finding out more and more is that routine consumables and problems like: tires, windshields, batteries and hail damage may be on the renter. What a crock. A "CDW" may not work if there is no collision. Hail colliding with the hood may not be covered. Read the fine print.

In the linked case, I'm going to assume the tow truck driver didn't try to jump because they were instructed to tow no matter what.

I agree with you, foxfire, that a tow truck driver always first tries the no-tow solution. I once had my car towed for a stuck-in-ignition key. The driver comes up to me and says: "I can fix this." I said: "No you can't, it isn't the steering lock."

I proceeded to watch him put all his weight on the steering wheel while nearly breaking off the key. He tried this for about 5 minutes, probably to prove to me I was wrong. He eventually gave up and towed the car. :angel:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom