Average Health Care Costs in Retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
US taxation on citizenship is bizarre, but tax treaties mean that a US citizen end up paying the greater of the tax in the US or the country or residence. many people can be taxed in two, or more, places because or combinations of citizenship, residency and location of source income.

True, you pay the greater of the 2 but not both, but your tax return is a nightmare, unless you’re an accountant and enjoy filling forms. But beyond tax forms, I don’t grant the IRS the right to know where I am and how much I earn in another country, so there are more issues of personal freedom & privacy.

Do you travel with a British passport?

True, you pay the greater of the 2 but not both, but your tax return is a nightmare, unless you’re an accountant and enjoy filling forms. But beyond tax forms, I don’t grant the IRS the right to know where I am and how much I earn in another country, so there are more issues of personal freedom & privacy.

If you're so against everything about this country why don't you renounce your citizenship?

US laws allow the IRS to collect taxes from every US citizen. By accepting the citizenship you granted the IRS the right to know your foreign income. Maybe you should have thought about this before accepting the citizenship.

You went to Portugal with public transit?!! Let me guess, TGV to southern France, then train to Spain (gosh that rhymes), then bus to Madeira?

I didn't use the word transit, I said public transportation, as in transportation available to the public.

Train to Newcastle, plane from the public airport to Madeira, then buses to get around the island for 2 weeks.

Similar with Ireland, train to Manchester, plane to Dublin. After a few days, train to Cork, buses out and about local towns, plane to Manchester, trains and buses back to Yorkshire.

I fly in and out of the USA on my US passport, then between European countries with my UK/European passport.

If you're so against everything about this country why don't you renounce your citizenship?

+1

US laws allow the IRS to collect taxes from every US citizen. By accepting the citizenship you granted the IRS the right to know your foreign income. Maybe you should have thought about this before accepting the citizenship.

+1

Always read the fine print when making big decisions.

+2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom