Ayahuasca anyone?

'Set and Setting' will be very different in home recreational use. I think the idea is the the chemicals open the door and the therapist, or shaman, or whatever, helps push you through in the right direction.

Seems easier to acquire these on your own and do it at home. These "Shaman" are running a business.

You've got a point.

In my case, I am looking for a guided experience with experienced trip sitters in a controlled and supervised environment. Also EMT will be on-hand, for those worried about physical health issues arising (I am not.)

I am willing to try immersing myself in the spirituality of the experience. I am doing this with intention and not just to experience a "high" or far-out visuals or anything like that.

Also, on your own you run the risk (albeit small probably) of running afoul with the law.

I’d probably focus on finding a competent guide for a psilocybin therapeutic session, only because I have no experience with Ayahuasca. Regardless, OP, let us know if your YW gets some benefit. Best wishes.

My friends, who are Shamans-In-Training and starting a Ayahuasca retreat in Hawaii, shared with me that first timers usually start with MDMA (Ecstasy) as a lead-in to see how they would handle a full-blown Ayahuasca ceremony. That's a pretty hardcore amuse-bouche.
To me it all seems like just a big excuse for monied users to get super high in a 'safe' environment without fear of being busted or the hassle of scoring. Self-proclaimed 'Shamans' who help people trip for big bucks for enlightenment is the epitome of entitled indulgence. No doubt lots of people are doing serious time for wanting the same thing without the hipster trappings of status and privilege. Why go to a shrink when you have a Shaman? - how 2021!
I get nervous for my friends about a client having a really bad trip or worse. It seems like it would be a huge risk on all sides - particularly in a foreign country. In Brazil, anything could happen... I'd much rather eat some mushrooms at home with my trusted friends.

P.S. FWIW, One treatment my SIT friends gave me for anxiety was to take Kava. It's definitely a lot more accessible solution.

Last edited:
My friends, who are Shamans-In-Training and starting a Ayahuasca retreat in Hawaii, shared with me that first timers usually start with MDMA (Ecstasy) as a lead-in to see how they would handle a full-blown Ayahuasca ceremony. That's a pretty hardcore amuse-bouche.

MDMA is a pretty soft-core 'hard drug'. As long as you're not dancing yourself to a hyperthermic demise at a rave it's a pretty mellow experience. I tried it once about 30 years ago and found it a pretty "meh" subtle sort of drug. Not really worth bothering with recreationally, but possibly providing enough lowering of boundaries and overall stress to be helpful in a therapeutic setting.

FWIW MDMA has many much stronger analogs that provide a much more intense experience. For those interested these are discussed at length in Alexander Shulgin's seminal PIHKAL (Phenethylamines I Have Known and Loved).

Shulgin also discusses the Tryptamine family (including the active ingredients in Ayahuasca) in his sequel volume TIHKAL (Tryptamines, etc).

Last edited:
MDMA is a pretty soft-core 'hard drug'. As long as you're not dancing yourself to a hyperthermic demise at a rave it's a pretty mellow experience. I tried it once about 30 years ago and found it a pretty "meh" subtle sort of drug. Not really worth bothering with recreationally, but possibly providing enough lowering of boundaries and overall stress to be helpful in a therapeutic setting.

FWIW MDMA has many much stronger analogs that provide a much more intense experience. For those interested these are discussed at length in Alexander Shulgin's seminal PIHKAL (Phenethylamines I Have Known and Loved).

Shulgin also discusses the Tryptamine family (including the active ingredients in Ayahuasca) in his sequel volume TIHKAL (Tryptamines, etc).

I’m interested in this. Full speed ahead.

Back
Top Bottom