Back in town

trumpeting_angel

Full time employment: Posting here.
Hello all -

I used to hang around here and converse a lot; later, I picked up a couple of extra jobs which cut my hanging-out time to nil. Now I'm cutting back on extra work, so I thought I would drop by. I am, sadly, no closer to ER than before: just brought the only kid to college last weekend. Despite all the planning (and actually having enough $$), it is still a huge shock to the system. All those costs ABOVE tuition, room, board, fees, and books! Somehow you don't think those will amount to much but wow, was that a case of denial!

Oops, here on the E-R forum only 2 minutes and ranting already. I'll stop for now!

Anne

Welcome back. I hope that you will be able to get back on the path to ER.

I missed you!

Nice to have you back.

Lots of changes. The board has grown large.

Good to be here!

Hello Martha, and everyone -

I realize that with the huge gaping hole through which tuition, room & board, and all the rest are flowing, I need some new incentive and support to be inspired in my finances. I need to regain some sense of frugality and to pay a little more attention to my investments. I knew where to find it!

Glad to be here.

Anne

Please don't take this the wrong way; I'm trying to say this delicately - My single mother told me "I got you through high school (Catholic) you will have to take it from here." I pretty much worked full time after school at night to pay for college. I lived at home; a one bedroom apartment.

Do parents these days feel they must pay the total bill for their college age students these days? I understand that college is very expensive these days (and no one seems to question it - that is another topic).

dex,

We are paying for our kids' college, but they are working, too, and are taking student loans. I couldn't bring myself to tell them they had to do it all by themselves and DW was against it. At least they are both working hard and are not wastrels. It does put off our financial freedom, however. I am of two minds about it, but that is the situation.

My husband and I started investing funds for our daughter's education right after she was born. Grandparents, over the years have given us $$ as gifts for adding to her education fund. She attends a state university and so far that invested $$ has paid her way. I guess we have never bought into the need for a really expensive school. The state school is expensive enough. She is living with me so no room and costly board are involved. She does have a job so she pays for just about everything else.

My little darling is working, too, and is more frugal than any of her friends - almost as frugal as me! I'm proud and amazed to see her put together fashion creations with items from Sal's, as we call the Salvation Army. My college education was paid for, so I only experienced the dreaded student loans in grad school. I wanted to be able to give that to her. However, I am torn, too, about putting off financial independence.

Anne

Hello all -

I used to hang around here and converse a lot; later, I picked up a couple of extra jobs which cut my hanging-out time to nil. Now I'm cutting back on extra work, so I thought I would drop by. I am, sadly, no closer to ER than before: just brought the only kid to college last weekend. Despite all the planning (and actually having enough $$), it is still a huge shock to the system. All those costs ABOVE tuition, room, board, fees, and books! Somehow you don't think those will amount to much but wow, was that a case of denial!

Oops, here on the E-R forum only 2 minutes and ranting already. I'll stop for now!

Anne

Welcome back Anne. I recall reading your posts a long time ago before I started posting, always good stuff.

Thanks, Wildcat! Good to see you. Also good to see you saving dishwashing water by drinking straight from the bottle. . . LBYM!

:)

Anne

DW and I feel that if we can help make it a bit easier for the kids, then we will do it. Why tie someones hands behind their backs and push them into the ring to fight. If you can give them a helping hand without paupering youself why not? On the other hand, the reason many of us are in the enviable positions we are in is because we have the conviction and commitment to do the right fiscal things. We were very fortunate to be able to do this (good salary and good financial planning with a huge portion of LBYM).
Like many here, we made sure that the kids had summer jobs starting in high school... not so much to make money, but to let them learn the value of money. Money earned is much dearer than money received. They worked MickyD type jobs in high school and then internships with different companies to get the feel for what they 'liked' and disliked' in the real world while they were in college.
They used their summer job money for 'stuff'. We financed tuition, room, and board.
My son did mention when he came home for a break in his freshman year, how 'sheltered' he felt. Many of his friends had student loans, personal loans, worked during the school year ... and still did not know how they were going to make their expenses. He was very thankful for having to ONLY worry about classes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom