Banking question for expats: which major US banks don't care about your address?

tenant13

Full time employment: Posting here.
This has been discussed before but I wonder what are the most current experiences you (the US expats) have?

I think it's a settled knowledge that Interactive Brokers is the go-to institution for trading. Well, perhaps not anymore after they lost 88 mil (https://thenextweb.com/hardfork/202...ion-losses-traders-bought-too-much-crude-oil/). But what about banking? Has anyone been able to keep their Schwab Savings Account? Or Chase, BofA or Capital One? Citi and HSBC have options for international accounts but they require gigantic minimums or are costly to maintain.

If you are talking a real bank I do not think you can have one without some kind of US address. There are very strong know your customer laws that a bank does not want to bypass... now, if you are talking about a non-bank then there are some money transfer firms that I think you can use.

Back in 2000 when I worked in the UK there were a number of people who asked if they could use my home address for their account... I said no... if there was away around this I think someone would have found it.

HSBC is what I use. I have accounts with them in the US, UK and Hong Kong. No fees if you are “premier” which means deposits or investments over 75k.. i keep some mutual funds with them to cover it. You only need to hit the minimum in one country to be premier globally.

We have an HSBC account in the USA and UK, with our UK address registered with both branches.

I also use HSBC with accounts in the US and France, using my French mailing address for both accounts.

Back
Top Bottom