Baseball 2018

Houston ... We Have a Problem!

The Red Sox vs Astros game last night, IMO is proof that baseball and instant replay doesn't mix. I'd be happy to go back to the old days and scrap instant replay in baseball entirely.

On the game itself, an Astros fan pretty much pulled a Steve Batman on a ball that looked like could have been a home run if he didn't bump into the glove of the outfielder. The ump called fan interference and there wasn't a conclusive angle to overturn the call.

As an unbiased fan of either team, I think the fan didn't reach over. So, in that case, a ground ruled double.

HOUSTON – How ironic. In a playoff series in which the baseball world buzzed about the Houston Astros' alleged cheating via video surveillance, it may wind up being a lack of video that does them in.
The Astros are now clinging to life support, clawing to retain their World Series title. They are just one loss away from packing up for the winter and heading home after their 8-6 loss to the Boston Red Sox in Game 4 of this American League Championship Series on Wednesday night.
Jose Altuve blasted what looked to be a two-run homer three batters into the bottom of the first inning Wednesday night, a rocket that would have erased the two-spot Boston sprung for in the top of the frame. But right field umpire and crew chief Joe West ruled that fans in the front row in right field reached over the railing and interfered with Mookie Betts' effort to catch the ball, which plopped back onto the field.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...om&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_medium=referral

As an unbiased fan of either team, I think the fan didn't reach over. So, in that case, a ground ruled double.
Didn't see it, and can't tell from that angle.

But if the fan didn't reach over, isn't it in the stands for a homer?

And if he did reach over, it's interference? (out)

Not seeing how it can be a ground rule double.

we will have to agree to disagree

in any event, was that the longest 9 inning game ever? i think it lasted 6 hours

i

Joe West should be MVP if Boston wins the series - ball was well over the yellow line

Didn't see it, and can't tell from that angle.

But if the fan didn't reach over, isn't it in the stands for a homer?

And if he did reach over, it's interference? (out)

Not seeing how it can be a ground rule double.

Can't tell 100 % if the ball was over the fence or not. I think looks more like over, but can't say for sure. If fan touches (didn't he touch the ball?) the ball, if ball was live, isn't that a ground rule double? No? Or is that still live?

Regardless, what gets me is instant replay in baseball isn't as perfected as in football. Many times, I've seen when a replay isn't conclusive, but the folks in NY end up overruling what was called on the field anyhow. Need some consistency.

i

Joe West should be MVP if Boston wins the series - ball was well over the yellow line

Joe West has a way of injecting himself into the outcome of games :facepalm:.

As an Astro's person (live in Houston area), let me say that giving up 8 runs in a playoff game is not a recipe for winning. ;)

Also, if I was King, I would proclaim that the row of seats in EVERY ballpark that are adjacent to the field of play would be left unoccupied for all games.

If the guy in the orange shirt has his hand one inch in front of the wall (in the field of play) and touched the fielder, it is an out. If his hands stayed behind the wall it is a homer. The umpire ruled his hands were into the field of play, I have seen nothing that shows me anything different. Even the picture looks like he is into the field of play.

The only way it would be a ground rule double is if the ball bounced in the field of play first which certainly did not happen.

If the guy in the orange shirt has his hand one inch in front of the wall (in the field of play) and touched the fielder, it is an out. If his hands stayed behind the wall it is a homer. The umpire ruled his hands were into the field of play, I have seen nothing that shows me anything different. Even the picture looks like he is into the field of play.

The only way it would be a ground rule double is if the ball bounced in the field of play first which certainly did not happen.

Thx for the explanation about what is ground ruled double or not.

In that case, my eyes say should have been a home run as I think ball was over the fence. But since Joe West ruled it out, and no clear angle to overturn, then has to stay out.

IMO, wrong initial call, but according to rules, shouldn't overturn.

I missed the old days where managers get kick dirt, throw bases and get tossed over these type of plays :D.

In that case, my eyes say should have been a home run as I think ball was over the fence. But since Joe West ruled it out, and no clear angle to overturn, then has to stay out.

IMO, wrong initial call, but according to rules, shouldn't overturn.

The ball was definitely over the fence, the question was it past the fence.

Exactly, looks to me like the fan's hand hit his glove in front of the fence. Here is a frame by frame loke... https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-red-sox/2018/10/18/mookie-betts-fan-interference-video-replay-photo-angles-alcs-game-4

It is very tough to see by any of the photos if the fan's hand was in front of the fence when it hit the glove, and I think if the call went the other way it would not have been overturned either.
Tell me, in your photo, do you think the fans hand was infront of or behind the fence?

As an Astro's person (live in Houston area), let me say that giving up 8 runs in a playoff game is not a recipe for winning. ;)

Also, if I was King, I would proclaim that the row of seats in EVERY ballpark that are adjacent to the field of play would be left unoccupied for all games.
I'd like you to be King(Tom Petty did a great song "Good to be King") as it's stupid to allow fans to interfere. I think that's a great idea.

I watched the Patriots fan throw his beer on Hill during the 4th Q Pat's - Chief's game last week, that was just stupid. I'm glad to hear the guy's been banned from Foxborough for life, but it's stupid to allow this one row to exist. Fans who can't act as adults need to be controlled by access, I guess.

I watched the Patriots fan throw his beer on Hill during the 4th Q Pat's - Chief's game last week, that was just stupid.

i remember this like it was yesterday - I was watching on TV, may have been the first night game at wrigley

personally, I think fan-poured beer should be allowed, except in basketball

I think it was a bad call... and would have said the same if Boston had hit it...

You can tell by him hitting the wall that his arm was over it and the guys were not bending down... so there is no question that the ball was going over... the only question is was the arm out in the field of play... it appears not to be but I will have to say there is no proof...

The ONE shot that would have shown it had a security guard leaning to look and it covered up the whole view...

Edit to add... I also do NOT think a potential clear home run should be ruled fan interference without THAT being clear... IOW the call of out should never have been made as you could not see FOR SURE that the fans were leaning out... IMO they were standing straight up and had their arms out... never know who would have won, but it would have been tied if those 2 runs were counted...

The Stros are probably out of the running now... hard to come back from 1-3....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom