Baseball 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn’t mind if they eliminated the Wild Card entirely. It’s a long season anyway. I do understand the business reason for it.

Don’t worry, I’m a Cubs fan. :)

True... they said that the Astros have played an extra season over the last few years in the playoffs... I think it was hyperbole, but who knows..

True... they said that the Astros have played an extra season over the last few years in the playoffs... I think it was hyperbole, but who knows..
That's as good of an excuse as any for their 2023 ALCS P-P-P so far.

I noticed a recent PBS Frontline episode, “The Astros Edge” that might be interesting to baseball fans in general. While I was aware of the scandal a few years back, I wasn’t clear on just what it was they were doing (the garbage can banging and all that - the episode includes audio analysis).

It’s more than just that scandal though. It also reminded me of how ignorant I can be, it’s still stuck in my mind that the Astros are a NL team…

https://pbs.org/video/the-astros-edge-ky4pfl

Good game.....:) Verlander surprises me that at his age can still get his fastball into the high mid 90's for several innings.

Karma is a Bi*ch. Altuve is the new Mr. October. Go Astros!!

Altuve.gif

The problem is they still have to come home!!!

But I do not see them losing 4 games at home.. so there is that...

The problem is they still have to come home!!!

But I do not see them losing 4 games at home.. so there is that...

If they lose 4 games at home I don't know what I'll do. I first had my heart broken by the Astros in elementary school when they lost the NLCS in '86. Then again in '17 as we were recovering from losing our home that August due to Hurricane Harvey...and finding out they had cheated.

However, the past few years have been the golden years to be an Astros fan.

Just need to add another ring for '23. :popcorn:

Every 108 years....like clockwork! :LOL:

Doesn't really apply anymore. That number is 7 for Cubbies.

Biggest WS drought now belongs to the Guardians (current name used for political correctness)?

About the playoffs, I had a feeling the Phillies and Diamondbacks would be tied 2-2 in series. The first two games was too easy for the Phillies.

About the playoffs, I had a feeling the Phillies and Diamondbacks would be tied 2-2 in series. The first two games was too easy for the Phillies.

Yes, home field advantage is huge for the Phillies. Raucous crowds, but most importantly, that ballpark has very small dimensions. At least three flyouts by the Phillies in Chase Field, Phoenix, would have been home runs back in Philadelphia.

The Phillies played great defense in Game 3, but last night in Game 4, they made several mistakes. Also, D-Backs Torey Lovullo totally outmanaged Philly manager Rob Thomson in the battle of the bullpens. Worth noting is that Thomson started a pitcher that had not started in 3 weeks.

Battle of the aces tonight in Wheeler vs. Gallen. Should be a great game.

MLB suspends Abreu 2 games

So Astros down 2 runs would intentionally put Garcia on base. That is just unbelievable. Had Garcia just taken the base without throwing a fit and starting all the trouble - this would have been a non-incident.
So now the umpires have taken a great game and made it a big mess. Which could affect the Astros if they do make it to the World Series.

<snip>
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...on-astros-bryan-abreu-suspension-18440099.php

Astros reliever Bryan Abreu received a two-game suspension and an undisclosed fine for hitting Rangers outfielder Adolis García with an up-and-in pitch in Game 5 of the ALCS, Major League Baseball announced Saturday.

Abreu’s suspension is effective immediately unless he appeals. Doing so would delay his suspension until the appeal process is complete. The Astros declined comment Saturday.

According to MLB, Abreu was disciplined for “intentionally throwing” at García. MLB said the six umpires on the field for Game 5 “deemed Abreu’s pitch to have been intentional.”

“In assessing the matter, Major League Baseball took into account the dangerous nature of the pitch and its potential impact on player safety,” the MLB announcement, attributed to senior vice president for on-field operations Michael Hill, stated.

Last edited:
Phillies win 6-1. Back to Phildelphia with Nola pitching.

Rangers shelled Houston as Garcia had another response.

Game 7 should be interesting!

Rangers shelled Houston as Garcia had another response.

Game 7 should be interesting!

Yes! I won’t say anything about karma nonsense. But I’m surely happy for a game 7.

It’s remarkable the Rangers have come this far. They literally have more blown saves this year than saves. That seems unheard of. Maybe that’s why they’re used to the gut punches. As a fan, I could do without it lol.

Maybe Max can be the old Max tomorrow.

Even though I live in the houston area (still somewhat of a long term Yankee fan), I'm thinking the Rangers will beat them in game 7. The Astros looked *flat* last night.

Even though I have money on the Rangers to win, I found myself almost rooting for the Astros last night... :banghead: They sure did seem flat. Odd too, neither team has won at home this series. :confused:

Last edited:
Even though I have money on the Rangers to win, I found myself almost rooting for the Astros lat night... :banghead: They sure did seem flat. Odd too, neither team has won at home this series. :confused:
Odd that Houston had a losing record at home during the regular season this year.

Well, not looking good for the Stros...

All home games lost by the home team if it stays this way...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom