Basic Economy airline experience

It’s not always a ratio like that. Sometimes you can find overseas first class for 2.5x economy, and domestic first class for less than 2x.

To clarify - on overseas I meant business class sometimes called business/first (and yes with lie flat seats). I haven’t been on a three class flight in decades.

I always check SeatGuru.com to see what first/business/premium actually look like, or even economy just to find the better seats and avoid the bad. I don't know about international, but some of the domestic first class seats are really nice, while some are just a big bigger than economy. I don't think all of the overseas internationals are lie flat. Some are angled. Some have partitions, others don't, or not very private ones. Make sure you know what you're paying extra for.

To clarify - on overseas I meant business class sometimes called business/first (and yes with lie flat seats). I haven’t been on a three class flight in decades.

Three class flights are back in a big way on long haul flights. Most legacy airlines now have a class that is similar to domestic first class. Wider seats, better (?) meals, bigger screen, amenity kit, and a few other perks. The names are confusing. I usually fly Delta. With them, Comfort Economy is the coach seats with a little extra room; whereas the wide seats are Premium Economy (in separate cabin). I'm booking flights to Europe (September) and Premium Econ is going to run $1650 RT.

Three class flights are back in a big way on long haul flights. Most legacy airlines now have a class that is similar to domestic first class. Wider seats, better (?) meals, bigger screen, amenity kit, and a few other perks. The names are confusing. I usually fly Delta. With them, Comfort Economy is the coach seats with a little extra room; whereas the wide seats are Premium Economy (in separate cabin). I'm booking flights to Europe (September) and Premium Econ is going to run $1650 RT.

In wasn’t counting economy plus (United) which gives you more leg room as a separate class. These still share the economy cabin, taking the first rows. And the only difference is more leg room and sitting near the front, but same meals and snacks, if any, same drink prices, etc.

Wow, $1650 RT sounds like a deal if you are getting lie flat seats, etc. We usually pay just a little less for regular economy to Europe - $1300 to $1400.

I wonder why they call it Premium Economy, is there another higher class on the same plane?

Sounds like bigger seats, footrest, more recline, upgraded meals, but not lie flat.

Last edited:
In wasn’t counting economy plus (United) which gives you more leg room as a separate class. These still share the economy cabin, taking the first rows. And the only difference is more leg room and sitting near the front, but same meals and snacks, if any, same drink prices, etc.

Wow, $1650 RT sounds like a deal if you are getting lie flat seats, etc. We usually pay just a little less for regular economy to Europe - $1300 to $1400.

I wonder why they call it Premium Economy, is there another higher class on the same plane?

Sounds like bigger seats, footrest, more recline, upgraded meals, but not lie flat.

Nope - not lie flat. That moves the price point to ~$5K. Happy to get a nice seat and pay a couple hundred above regular coach. :)

Nope - not lie flat. That moves the price point to ~$5K. Happy to get a nice seat and pay a couple hundred above regular coach. :)

It's interesting that it is in a separate cabin, and that the seats are bigger and have better recline, and upgraded meals. That makes it quite a bit more valuable that the United Economy Plus, IMO. Especially if you have access to a nearby bathroom.

But man, those lie flat seats........

I wish I could sleep in anything, but I can't. The last two trips over the pond we woke up refreshed and feeling like it was a new day. Even though the last trip I didn't sleep as many hours as the first time, I still felt like it was a new day and could function, which was good because we had a lot to do that first day before we finally made it to our destination.

Just remembered this all Business Class flight. Only catch is it is only EWR-Ory. Newark to Orly in Paris. About $1500 RT. Maybe catch a short flight into NYC Spend a night or 2 then fly to Paris. Catch a cheap flight on the Continent. I have thought about using miles from the West Coast and then using them to get to Europe. IIRC Flyer Talk & the mileage honks had decent things to say

https://www.lacompagnie.com/en/

Just remembered this all Business Class flight. Only catch is it is only EWR-Ory. Newark to Orly in Paris. About $1500 RT. Maybe catch a short flight into NYC Spend a night or 2 then fly to Paris. Catch a cheap flight on the Continent. I have thought about using miles from the West Coast and then using them to get to Europe. IIRC Flyer Talk & the mileage honks had decent things to say

https://www.lacompagnie.com/en/

Yes. Depending on where you're headed, most flights within Europe are less than two hours. Plus, even though I always flew First or Business in Europe, I really could never tell the difference between First and economy on those flights. Pretty much the same seating arrangement; maybe a better breakfast.

The first or business class on a within Europe flight I was on just kept the middle seat open! It was still 3-3 like the rest of the plane. They had the same seat pitch as the “comfort” seats immediately behind them which cost a very small premium. I suppose they had upgraded meal service and drinks. Initially only one row of comfort seats was available but by flight time this had grown to three, and the rows of first/business shrunk accordingly. The plane had a moveable curtain as a divider behind first. It was a 777. Weird!

International, book as Economy and then watch the price on premium Economy upgrades. If it gets to $95 - $110 as an upgrade, I'll do it.

Premium Economy on United is generally very good (even with a middle seat). And Lufthansa is great (Business Class service at Premium Economy price).

I disagree about Premium Economy on Lufthansa. My most recent flight was to Rome in November. On Lufthansa you do not get priority boarding, priority baggage handling, better food, or better service (1 hour to get my beverage.) However, the seats on the 747-800 were excellent. That is now my favorite plane.

On LOT, I am sitting in my seat sipping a beverage while the coach class passengers fight for overhead space. I would not pay the upfront price for premium economy class on Lufthansa again, but I was not aware that they sold upgrades from economy to premium. All I have ever seen for that class is from economy to economy plus (extra leg room.)

Last edited:
It's interesting that it is in a separate cabin, and that the seats are bigger and have better recline, and upgraded meals. That makes it quite a bit more valuable that the United Economy Plus, IMO. Especially if you have access to a nearby bathroom.

Premium Economy is a fairly recent invention. I first flew that way 3 years ago. Most transatlantic airlines now offer this class and you can select it in Google flights for searches. It generally runs 2x the price of economy, but I'm seeing it creep up this year, although maybe that is true for all fare classes.

On LOT, my favorite way to get to Europe, a PE ticket includes boarding with business class and priority baggage handling, both are true for your connecting flight as well. The food and service are also definitely better than economy, and yes, you are seated in a separate cabin. The seats do not lie flat and you don't get to use the toilets in the front of the plane. I think Premium Economy is plenty comfortable for trips to Europe from Chicago.

Premium Economy is a fairly recent invention. I first flew that way 3 years ago. Most transatlantic airlines now offer this class and you can select it in Google flights for searches. It generally runs 2x the price of economy, but I'm seeing it creep up this year, although maybe that is true for all fare classes.

On LOT, my favorite way to get to Europe, a PE ticket includes boarding with business class and priority baggage handling, both are true for your connecting flight as well. The food and service are also definitely better than economy, and yes, you are seated in a separate cabin. The seats do not lie flat and you don't get to use the toilets in the front of the plane. I think Premium Economy is plenty comfortable for trips to Europe from Chicago.

I have not seen a premium economy on United, including on my several recent international flights. I’ve only seen Economy Plus which is basically more legroom and sitting at the front of the economy cabin, but no difference in meals, seat size or service.

Other premium perks such as two bags checked free, premium access for check-in and security, priority boarding and priority baggage handling I get from my credit card.

Business/first with large lie flat seats and fine dining are a far cry from Economy Plus when crossing the Atlantic over to Europe.

Last edited:
I have not seen a premium economy on United, including on my several recent international flights. I’ve only seen Economy Plus which is basically more legroom and sitting at the front of the economy cabin, but no difference in meals, seat size or service.

International, book as Economy and then watch the price on premium Economy upgrades. If it gets to $95 - $110 as an upgrade, I'll do it.
-Rita

I found the link for this upgrade on Lufthansa. That is quite a savings over the cost of booking PE tickets up front. Can you share what airport(s) you are flying out from? It seems that most of the really good deals are only available from the east coast. I fly out of Chicago, so I am just trying to figure out if i should consider this strategy of booking economy and upgrading later or not. I really don't like to fly economy class to Europe anymore so I would not like getting stuck in the coach cabin.

Note - I would fly Lufthansa PE again if I can get a super deal :)

FWIW - just want to point out that United is rolling out it's Premium "Plus" as regular coach premium econmy seats at the same price. Once rolled out, it will have it's own pricing engine, but for now, maybe some bargains, one some flights, for some period of time. It's called out towards the bottom of the article.

There're getting there...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/grantmartin/2018/06/16/united-airlines-is-rolling-out-its-international-premium-economy-cabins-this-month/#2c69130678fd

Hmmm - if it’s anything like Polaris, it could take years.

FWIW - just want to point out that United is rolling out it's Premium "Plus" as regular coach premium econmy seats at the same price. Once rolled out, it will have it's own pricing engine, but for now, maybe some bargains, one some flights, for some period of time. It's called out towards the bottom of the article.

There is no “regular coach” United Premium Economy product that I have encountered. I don’t believe it exists.

Anything named “Premium Economy” with United is a new product as yet unseen by me - domestic or international. Other airlines use this name.

And with the name “Premium Plus” it seems they are deliberately leaving the word “economy” out. It probably is designed to contrast with “Economy Plus”.

Last edited:
I found the link for this upgrade on Lufthansa. That is quite a savings over the cost of booking PE tickets up front. Can you share what airport(s) you are flying out from? It seems that most of the really good deals are only available from the east coast. I fly out of Chicago, so I am just trying to figure out if i should consider this strategy of booking economy and upgrading later or not. I really don't like to fly economy class to Europe anymore so I would not like getting stuck in the coach cabin.

Note - I would fly Lufthansa PE again if I can get a super deal :)
I was not flying LH round trip. This was for a flight from Frankfurt to Seattle. PE was $95. I flew to Europe on United, and was able to upgrade to Economy+ for $105 2 days before the flight (Newark-Shannon).

But, seriously, service on LH is just better.

Rita

Anyone flown on Virgin Atlantic? We are booked on a Virgin Atlantic flight through Delta. I went online to select our seats. No problem with the Delta segment. I selected seats for the VA segment but when I go back a couple of days later my selection is missing and I don’t have the option of selecting a seat even for extra dollars. We are booked on economy class so I don’t have high expectations for the flight but would prefer to go ahead select seats.

When you're on a code-share like that, sometimes you have two different confirmation codes, one for Delta, one for Virgin. I've run into something similar in the past, and just had to go to Virgin and enter their confirmation code to be able to make adjustments.

Maybe that's what you're experiencing?

We purchase (just about) the cheapest airfares possible. There have been occasions when online check in indicates that there are no available seats together, but when checking in at the airport, (Lombardi time), we have always (thus far) been assigned adjacent seats.

I ended up doing an online chat with Virgin Atlantic and the rep selected seats for us. I will double check in a couple of days to see if the selection holds.

My sister is going to Chicago and needed to get into Midway to meet another sister... So she had to do a trip with 1 stop each way...

The basic economy was about $50 cheaper, but that would be for 4 flights... she decided to pay the extra to get her seats AND a snack/beverage on the flight... told her to get her Starbucks (which they say they have)... for $12.50 per leg she thinks it was better to pay up...

Back
Top Bottom