Bathroom remodel tips?

We decided against a heated tile floor because I wanted instant heat. We ended up installing one of those ceiling light, vent, heater combos and it works great in our fairly small 12' x 5' bathroom. I love it most during those cold trips to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Now I just have to make sure I don't fall asleep on the toilet because I am so warm & toasty.

We had a heater/fan/light in our original newly wed single floor, 2 small bedroom - 1 bath. The bath was a shed added on the house and was COLD. I can remember leaving the faucets trickle on the coldest nights to keep the pipes from freezing and finding ice in the sink. The kids showed up and 28 years ago we did a near total reconstruction to a 2 floor, 3 bedroom - 2 1/2 bath. Influenced by our prior experiences we installed wall mounted fan heaters in the two full baths. The master bath one is perfectly placed to warm the bath towel.

My only real suggestion is to make sure you get taller toilets. I've replaced our old ones in both of our houses, and any time I go to a friend's or a hotel or whatever, I always feel like I'm falling over when I sit down. I'm not joking, they're great.

+1 the extra 3" of height is so much luxury for so little extra. I'm not due to remodel for many more years, and if/when I do the only other thing I'd consider is a TOTO toilet - like in Japan. Heated seats are ridiculously awesome.

Wrt to shower glass, glass is porous and that clouding is etched into the glass and will never ever come out. We have elected to pay (~$90/sq ft IIRC) for a product called Diamond Fusion. It's applied once by the glass folks and makes the glass much less porous. We put in a pony wall, but still have some glass on the upper part. You still need to clean it, but not like regular glass...we'll see.

thanks TrvBug.. did a little searching on the Diamon Fusion and found this from one of their reps... I want to learn more.sounds like a pretty good solution....

Hello,

I am a representative from Diamon-Fusion International. Sorry for the late
response, we just learned of this site and the postings here so I hope it?s ok
if I answer some of the what seems like are the most confusing points when
comparing coatings.

-Diamon-Fusion? is a low-maintenance, not a no-maintenance coating for
silica-based surfaces (glass, ceramic, porcelain, tile, granite, and quartz).
Using most brand name window cleaners on the market to clean DFI treated glass
is harmful because they are acidic and harsh. Diamon-Fusion? is easily cleaned
with just mild soap and water, so harsh chemicals are never needed. Nothing
lasts forever, so claims of ?it never needs reapplication, top ups,
revitalizers, or any mandated products to keep it working? need to be very
carefully considered.

-Diamon-Fusion? is a patented product. In a sea of questionable claims about
what products can do, a patent is the rock you can rely on to make sure the
technology is real. Our patent number is 6,245,387 ? check the U.S. Patent and
Trademark Office website (United States Patent and Trademark Office) for more information.

-Diamon-Fusion? is typically professionally applied and therefore is not
generally available to the public through retail outlets. We?ve been working
really hard to change that though, so look for our do-it-yourself product in the
near future at major home centers! In the meantime, however, we do offer a kit
with the D-I-Y, non-patented coating that?s lower cost and you can get directly
from us, or from authorized applicators in your area. Give us a call toll-free
at 888-344-4DFI(334) to find one near you.

-Diamon-Fusion??s major benefit provided for homeowners is through its water
repellency; it resists hard water stains, soap scum build up, mold, mildew,
bacteria, mineral deposits and leaching, and the coating also helps resist
scratches. Additionally, there?s an up to twenty percent increase in the
brilliance of glass, helping to beautify those surfaces and therefore your home.
Independent testing has also proven that Diamon-Fusion? helps make glass up to
ten times harder to pit, chip, or crack. It?s completely optically clear and the
coating is guaranteed to never haze, yellow, crack, or peel.

-Diamon-Fusion??s warranty is very clearly defined: If the basic maintenance
instructions have been followed, and the contact angle of your treated
architectural glass ever falls below 11-degrees, we?ll honor the warranty. No
questions, guesses, or opinions? just clear, measurable, and defined. Our basic
maintenance is simply this: Never use any harsh or abrasive chemicals or
cleaning implements, and do an easy, just wipe-it-down, weekly cleaning which
you?re likely doing anyway. Other warranties lack definition; how is ?easy to
clean? defined? Who is the final arbiter of whether the surfaces are truly
?easy to clean?? If you disagree, how is it measured? Our answers are clear and
simple.

-Diamon-Fusion? products are easily Revitalized. We support our product and give
you tools you can use to make maintenance even easier by having additional
products that are uncomplicated to use, inexpensive, and easy to obtain. If you
ever do happen to seriously neglect your treated surfaces, they?ll help you
bring them back to ?like new? condition, should you need to.

Hopefully this response has helped give you more information about our product.
We?d love to talk to you about these benefits and others, and invite you to
visit our website (Diamon-Fusion International), or better yet?give us a call. Please
contact us soon and let us do our best to share with you how to clean less and
make your life easier!

Thanks to everyone for your input, and we hope to have you as a Diamon-Fusion?
customer in the near future.

I like.....

1. a deep soaking tub (no jacuzzi); a two-person tub is good.
2. a two-person shower, separate shower heads and controls; at least one hand-held shower makes for easier cleaning
3. a bidet
4. a wall mounted towel warmer on a timer. Not for warming towels so much, rather, for drying towels and washcloths after use, or even for hand washables (in humid climates - not needed in dry climates).
5. heated floor would be nice
6. everything easy to clean. This means not too much grout. I wouldn't even mind a drain in the floor!
7. taller counters or vessel sinks; taller faucet for washing hair
8. big mirrors
9. skylight
10. thought-out outlet placement for blow dryer, electric toothbrush, night light, cords being out of the way
11. tall and deep linen closet

Also, I like some of these things in their own sections, with pocket doors. Everything all out in a big space means it's cold, not as warm and cozy.

This forum is very timely, as I'm pretty much beat after 2 days of rebuilding the master bathroom in our new to us home. It's the second house we've bought that had carpet in the master bath. It took less than 15 minutes to get rid of the carpet.

Let me say that we're fortunate that our bath is very beautiful in styling. We don't use the Jacuzzi, however our 2 grandchildren use the tub all the time. And any house in this neighborhood is expected to have a spa tub.

I cringe at the costs mentioned previously for rebuilding baths. So far, I've gone through 11 sheets of 1/4" Wonderboard ($100), $22 for 2 bags of thinset mortar and $25 for screws. 150 square feet of porcelain tile will be $300, and it'll take another $22 for more thinset mortar and $12 for grout. We'll just say the total cost will be $500 for the re-do.

Once you get used to a tall and long toilet, going back to a standard toilet is just not enjoyable. I have removed the toilet and will be swapping it with
the American Standard Super toilet in our old house--5 minute job.

I would have liked to have put the heating strips in the floor, but we're too busy getting the rest of the house ready to move.

I am what you would call an advanced homeowner builder, and I'm always building something. I also just installed granite in the kitchen and 2 bathrooms of our lake house. I've also got to prime and paint 32 kitchen cabinet doors for the lake house.

Tomorrow, I intend to start laying the tile in the bathroom. It'll take me 2 days because I take time to properly lay out my tile and do the job the right way.

Don't think that laying tile in a bathroom is any big deal. I've found tile work to be relatively easy, and directions are all over UTube.com. The worst part is getting the tile supplies from the truck into the house.

If I was just going to be putting in a shower, I'd be putting in one that's 4' x 8' with a door on each end. Such a shower would require a custom built shower pan--which is no big deal.

If I was just going to be putting in a shower, I'd be putting in one that's 4' x 8' with a door on each end. Such a shower would require a custom built shower pan--which is no big deal.

Perfect for washing dogs and dirtbikes, too. In one end, out the other. :D

In a shower that big, I'd want a built in bench and grab bar railings all down the whole 8'. Also maybe multiple shower heads, including one of those rain shower heads as well as a handheld one on a long hose. And as long as one is daydreaming, how about built in shelves for shampoo, soap, and such all along. Lots of bright lights inside the shower, too.

Remodeled a few bathrooms (rentals) and switched to weti board backing along with wedi joint sealant (love it). A little more $$ but never any issues. Unlike sheet laminated foam boards or the traditional Cement backerboards, wedi Building Panels will not absorb water. Another change I started doing is making the soap/shampoo cubby a tall double wide, last shower added two of them.

While all the Kerdi membrane systems are great, $569 for a basic shower kit is very expensive. I used their membrane on an outside balcony deck of my 36' screen porch and it's been leak free.

I have a buddy that's a lifelong commercial tile mason and bathroom remodeler, and he's found the Redgard on top of cement backer board to work great. He's never had a single leak in shower walls or in floorpans.

For my bath floor, I'm going to apply 2 coats of Redgard to my Wonderboard cement board. The grandkids sometimes get a little carried away splashing in the tub.

How does wedi board compare to dens shield? DH chose the latter after significant research. But I know he looked at wedi board as well.

Totally agree on the big, extra tall niche. We shop at costco so we had to make sure the niches were tall enough for the jumbo shampoos/rinses.

Another tip - if you're moving plumbing... add in shut off valves someplace accessible. Our house was built in the early 60's and didn't have shut off valves anywhere. Now we have them under each sink and built a panel into the back of the new linen cupboard with hot/cold shut off valves for the entire bathroom (including shower).

These friends renovated their master and guest baths at the same time (one after the other) and when the contractor took out the one-piece fiberglass tub to replace it they discovered that there were NO studs in the wall behind the tub. The funny part was that a year or two earlier my friend had tried to hang something on the other side of that wall behind the tub and couldn't find a stud with her stud-finder so she concluded that the stud-finder was broken and threw it away!

When I took up the tile in the powder room in our last house, I discovered the plumbers had cut the floor joist to make room for the toilet drain. The only thing holding up the joist was the subfloor! :nonono: Even funnier, we had a house inspector inspect the house. He noticed that toilet was not tight and went in the crawl space to make sure it was not leaking. He didn't say a word about the joist being cut. Just said it was not leaking. It was leaking when I replaced the floor tile and the subfloor was rotted around the toilet and had to be replaced along with the joist being shored up.

Moral of this story: Expect the unexpected when you remodel.

Another hint: Make sure they put concrete board (Durarock, etc.) around the shower and not dry wall.

Back
Top Bottom