Bats are kinda cool....

Just thought that I would post the attached article on the monitary value of bats and the challenges that the little creatures are currently facing.

Attachments

• Bats_and_Agriculture.pdf
    633.2 KB · Views: 5
Every year we get one or two in the house. A few years ago I closed off access to a hole in the roof overhang. Couted 40 of the critters one evening before the fix.

Just need to hang screen over the opening. Leaving the bottom open. They can't fly well enough the get back in - under the screen. It's a oneway door. Then a couple nights later seal the opening.

The problem comes later .... they hate to relocate. So they'll return to the same area for years attemping to re-enter. Eventually finding another opening somewhere else. There happened to be another opening in the back of the house. So here we go again ....

Then they took up residence in the chimmney .... a few were living out of the barn for a while.

I really need to look at a bat house.

The ones I catch in the house are returned outside unharmed. Just turn the lights on and they fly to someplace "safe". Scooch them into a net/box/bucket with a cover and place them outside ... no big deal. NO RABIE shots either (as I never touch them).

Back
Top Bottom