Beaches in India?

coalcracker

Dryer sheet wannabe
Hi All,

My wife and are are planning a trip in October, first spending 2 weeks hiking in Nepal and then spending about a week at the beach. I have been reading extensively about possible beach options in that part of the world, and many areas in southeast asia are in the midst of monsoon season. However, I gather the west coast of India (Goa, Kerala) may have reasonable although not perfect weather mid-late October, when we would be there.

2 questions:

Anyone have experience with the weather in that part of the world mid-late October? I have read so much about southwest monsoon and northeast monsoon I feel like an amateur meteorologist, but I'm still unsure.

Any suggestions for a specific beach or area to stay for a week? We would be looking for someplace relatively quiet and peaceful, i.e. no european backpacker scene (nothing agains Europeans!). We are foodies so good local food options would be great.

Thanks!

I stayed at a peaceful beach in Goa in Mid-Nov 2008.
weather was nice, water was warm. Our trip was planned to start Nov 8th to avoid monsoons based on recommendation of India Gov agency that was hosting us.

Beach was not crowded in Goa which is atypical of the other Indian beaches I saw.

PM for photos.

The weather in October is variable and will depend on the monsoon. You should be able to track that on a weather site. If the monsoon is late, it may still be raining. However, Goa is beautiful in the rains - just don't go into the water!

If it isn't raining, it will be hot & humid. But that will be the case pretty much anywhere in India at that time.

The beaches in the north (Calangute, Candolim, Anjuna etc.) of Goa tend to have more foreign tourists - mainly from the UK, Russia and Israel, but other European countries too. The ones in the South (Colva for example) have more local tourists & are much quieter - fewer clubs etc.

Goa will be peaceful in October compared to the height of the season around Christmas & New Year. Rent a scooter and see the inland portions, and eat the local cuisine and drink the local booze (Feni).

Enjoy your trip.

Hmm .......... interesting questions.
I lived in India for two years - then went back a few years ago and spent 5 weeks travelling by motorcycle from the very South to the very North (approx) ... so know it a wee bit. (that's Irish for a small bit)

If you can find someone who can accurately predict the weather / monsoon this far ahead ... get them to pick your stocks for you. It WILL be warm , but could either be very wet or very dry or ...........

I spent some time in both Kerola and Goa - could not get out of Goa quick enough (too touristy) , and Kerola was worth a visit ... but ... India is the last place in the world I would go to spend time on a beach !!! (too many brown sharks)
See old buildings , temples , caves carved out of solid rock during 150 years , spot Tigers from the back of an Elephant , eat lots of great food very cheaply , etc etc ...... beaches , go to Brazil.

Have a good trip and remember the golden rule of Indian food : "The quality is inversley proportional to the price" ... honest.

PS please excuse spelling.

I was just watching CNNI and they are saying odd's right now are 99% that this will be a normal monsoon season! Have a nice trip.

Hmm .......... interesting questions.
I lived in India for two years - then went back a few years ago and spent 5 weeks travelling by motorcycle from the very South to the very North (approx) ... so know it a wee bit. (that's Irish for a small bit)

If you can find someone who can accurately predict the weather / monsoon this far ahead ... get them to pick your stocks for you. It WILL be warm , but could either be very wet or very dry or ...........

I spent some time in both Kerola and Goa - could not get out of Goa quick enough (too touristy) , and Kerola was worth a visit ... but ... India is the last place in the world I would go to spend time on a beach !!! (too many brown sharks)
See old buildings , temples , caves carved out of solid rock during 150 years , spot Tigers from the back of an Elephant , eat lots of great food very cheaply , etc etc ...... beaches , go to Brazil.

Have a good trip and remember the golden rule of Indian food : "The quality is inversley proportional to the price" ... honest.

PS please excuse spelling.

Thanks for the tips so far all.

I have heard about the "brown sharks" and I suspect we wouldn't be wading in the ocean as much as lounging on the beach or hotel pool, etc.

We were thinking of heading up to Munnar to stay on a tea plantation for a couple of days. Worth it?

Love Indian food, we will be sure to bring our pepto bismol and Cipro.

Thanks for the tips so far all.

I have heard about the "brown sharks" and I suspect we wouldn't be wading in the ocean as much as lounging on the beach or hotel pool, etc.

We were thinking of heading up to Munnar to stay on a tea plantation for a couple of days. Worth it?

Love Indian food, we will be sure to bring our pepto bismol and Cipro.

We didn't actually go to a tea plantation but took a local bus to the Periyar National Park (near Munnar) in Kerala. One of the sights I will never forget was going up the hill slowly, smelling wild jasmine through the open windows and going through a beautiful tea plantation. This was almost a religious experience! Also, we really enjoyed the Kerala backwaters houseboat from Alleppey.

I agree with the comment on beaches. India has good beaches, but I feel the culture, food and history are probably better reasons to go there. There are nice beaches all over the world that are easier experiences than those in India. If you are interested in diving, there are cheap flights from Kerala to the Maldives.

Indian food is incredibly diverse, so be sure to try the specialties of the local regions such as seafood "curry" in Kerala, dosas in other parts of South India, sambhar in Tamil Nadu etc.

One more thing, DW and I didn't get sick in India from eating food. We were careful eating cooked food from places with high turnover and drinking only bottled water. I think part of the reason was that we were taking anti-malarial pills which help kill some of the nasty food-borne bugs. Talk to your doctor, especially since some of the malaria in tropical India is drug-resistant.

Back
Top Bottom