Being Thankful

Tekward

Recycles dryer sheets
I was just reflecting on a big benefit of FIRE, helping your family during a tight spot.

My DD and great SIL (and amazing GD) were in the middle of a cross country military transfer when their PU truck engine blew (Thx to the F-150 oil pan!!). There were in a real hard spot and I had the ability to write a check for a replacement truck so they could complete their transfer.

A comparatively modest sum made all the difference (for want of a nail,....).

I was just reflecting on a big benefit of FIRE, helping your family during a tight spot.

My DD and great SIL (and amazing GD) were in the middle of a cross country military transfer when their PU truck engine blew (Thx to the F-150 oil pan!!). There were in a real hard spot and I had the ability to write a check for a replacement truck so they could complete their transfer.

A comparatively modest sum made all the difference (for want of a nail,....).
I firmly believe that one of the best reasons for having more than you need is for situations like this. I bet it felt better to do that for your daughter than to even just go buy a new truck for yourself. :)

Very nice that you can help them out. Agree that being thankful for what you have and the ability to help others is a great way to enjoy being FIRE'd.

Very nice that you can help them out. Agree that being thankful for what you have and the ability to help others is a great way to enjoy being FIRE'd.
My sentiments exactly…

Interesting coz on a much more minor scale today, DGF's son needed $500 to help fix his car. So we were able to do it. He is in a tight spot financially right now.

Thankful here as well to have the ability and to act on helping others not so fortunate.

Should the military pay for the transfer?

I’m sure it does. Shipping household goods, a mileage allowance for the distance traveled, a per-diem allowance for the days in transit. But buy a new truck or repair one that crapped out? No way.

I'm thankful everyday and blessed to be in the position to be able to help other. Last year was a 6 figure number that we gave to help others. Giving back is a blessing and rewarding, whether is in time or monetary.

I’m sure it does. Shipping household goods, a mileage allowance for the distance traveled, a per-diem allowance for the days in transit. But buy a new truck or repair one that crapped out? No way.

"No way" isn't exactly true as there are options available to members who have issues like a car dying on a PCS move. Air Force Assistance Program is an example. I think most of the service have similar programs. I was able to use the AFAS when I was a young airman and didn't have money for an emergency trip home.

Nonetheless, it's awesome to be a position to help someone financially when you are FI.

https://afas.org/

AFAS provides emergency assistance to Air Force and Space Force families when unexpected financial emergencies arise with no-interest loans and grants. These financial assistance programs help meet immediate financial emergency needs and help make a positive step toward a lasting financial solution.

Yes, I feel blessed and thankful every day for what we have and are able to share.

"No way" isn't exactly true as there are options available to members who have issues like a car dying on a PCS move. Air Force Assistance Program is an example. I think most of the service have similar programs. I was able to use the AFAS when I was a young airman and didn't have money for an emergency trip home.

Nonetheless, it's awesome to be a position to help someone financially when you are FI.

https://afas.org/

Good point! AFAS sounds a lot like Navy and Marine Corps Relief Society with which I’m most familiar. These organizations are closely aligned with although not a part of the services they support and can indeed bail out members who find themselves in dicey situation through loans or outright grants. Indeed, most of the NMCRS volunteers who evaluate the members’ situations and make decisions on fund disbursement are themselves military members (functioning as Society volunteers), spouses or retirees. The question was whether “the military” should pay for the transfer. Sure sounded to me like there was an implication that “the military” might/oughta pay for the truck/repairs (which they wouldn’t and likely can’t legally.) But your reminder that there are other avenues is a point well taken. As is your last sentence.

I have had a charmed life in so many respects.

Very thankful for what I have, and most especially for my good health in these retirement years.

I have had a charmed life in so many respects.

Very thankful for what I have, and most especially for my good health in these retirement years.

My thoughts exactly, how thankful I am each day for health and the great life in general. Money just so happened to be a small part of my time here.

Back
Top Bottom