Best Battery Tire Inflator for Car?

Many newer cars (like mine :mad: ) don't even come with a spare tire anymore, just a few plugs, a can of sealant and a 12V compressor. So you might already have one in your trunk.

My go-to for product testing of this sort is Project Farm on YouTube. Check out these two videos.

This may be a naive question, but how do you connect the inflater to the tire valve stem, when it's also connected to the 12V car outlet? I don't see any long cables or cords.

Or do you simply keep it charged up by connecting it to the car outlet all the time?

I do not know if it is the "best", but I bought this one in June and I am happy with it so far:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B7B7G252

I can set it to a desired PSI number, start it, and when it reaches the level it shut offs automatically. I have used it with both auto tires and bicycle tires, no issues.

It also acts as a power bank and flashlight. It can be recharged either via the car 12V port or anything you can connect to its USB input port.

It fits into the car glove compartment easily, and it lightweight (about 26 ounces). I find it convenient not just for the car, but also having it handy during biking trips.

I have a Ryobi tire inflator that uses the same battery as my cordless drill, leaf blower and other cordless tools. I have to say that it is one of the best tools that I own.

+1

Used it a lot. In Midwest with significant temperature/ seasonal changes, we had to adjust tires at least annually. It’s commonly a a throw-in on Ryobi deals.

This may be a naive question, but how do you connect the inflater to the tire valve stem, when it's also connected to the 12V car outlet? I don't see any long cables or cords.

Or do you simply keep it charged up by connecting it to the car outlet all the time?

I do not use it connected. I charge it, then use it detached from either the 12V port or outlet. I keep it in my glove compartment, it holds a charge for a while. I have not used mine for over a month, and it still shows 3 (out of 3) bars charged. I have yet to use it where, during its use, it has gone to less than 2 bars of charging.

I had a low tire pressure reading this week. Looked at the tires and couldn't tell which one was low. I have the original 12v tire inflator that came with the car but was only a mile or so away from costco so pulled in there to top off all the tires. Their compressor works great, you enter the pressure you want and it beeps when you get to the desired pressure.

I had a low tire pressure reading this week. Looked at the tires and couldn't tell which one was low. I have the original 12v tire inflator that came with the car but was only a mile or so away from costco so pulled in there to top off all the tires. Their compressor works great, you enter the pressure you want and it beeps when you get to the desired pressure.
This is the time if the year that folks will see a lot more low tire pressure warning lights pop up. Both of my trucks started showing low tire pressure in several tires in the past few weeks. Most of the time it's simply a change in air temperature (cooler) that lowers tire air pressure and sets off the warning lights, at this time of the year.

Last edited:
Friends,

Thank you for all your comments and recommendations. I considered each and every one of them, and watched the Youtube videos from Sojourner. I have ordered a Ridgid 18V Inflator (I already have a Ridgid 18V charger/battery) for $49.00 plus tax. I'll eventually report back on its performance.

Amethyst

I have the dewalt and what I like about it you can set the psi hook it up and stand. No long squat.

Another vote of confidence for the Milwaukee tire pump. Note that they make two, one is more suited for basketballs, air mattresses and the like, and the larger is much better for tires. I have the larger one. Works fine, but I already had the batteries.

Friends,

Thank you for all your comments and recommendations. I considered each and every one of them, and watched the Youtube videos from Sojourner. I have ordered a Ridgid 18V Inflator (I already have a Ridgid 18V charger/battery) for $49.00 plus tax. I'll eventually report back on its performance.

Amethyst

Seems like the best option given that you already have the battery. Good luck. I hope it works well for you.

There are also manual foot pumps if arms are not strong. Most are inexpensive and about the size of an electric pump so it can be kept in the trunk.

Cheers!

This is how I add air to my tires. about 40 pumps each to get them winter ready.

+1

Used it a lot. In Midwest with significant temperature/ seasonal changes, we had to adjust tires at least annually. It’s commonly a a throw-in on Ryobi deals.

Yes very handy between 3 cars/trucks, 4 trailers, 4 bicycles, 1 wheelbarrows, 1 garden cart, 1 wood hauler, 2 lawn tractors, 1 golf cart, DGS's blow up pool, towable tubes, etc.

My main inflator is an earlier version of the Ryobi 18v inflator (not the one shaped like a drill). I did replace the chuck with an easier chuck to put on and off. My only need of that inflator is for a car.

I also have two other inflators. One I got is the common small rechargeable portable types (got as in Amazon Vine product) that are kind of rectangular shaped. I also have a tiny 12v slime inflator that I put in the tire well of my spare tire just in case the other two don't work and I'm stranded somewhere.

I used to own larger 12V inflator that I got a Walmart. It inflated tires fast. I could hear the air filling up. But when I went cordless, I gave that away (now kind of wished I kept it).

Why cordless vs 12V? Cordless is much more convenient when topping off tires. No need to mess with a long cord and have loud engine running. But if stuck somewhere and having to inflate a spare, better make sure there's enough juice in the cordless inflator battery.

I just happened to be looking at inflators about a week ago for a trip. I needed to lighten my cargo load so in my small car, there wasn't that much space.

As for which one, the OP already bought one (Ryobi 18V, good choice). As for performance, probably Milwaukee is the best but they cost a premium. As for 12V inflators, I like one of Amazon Basics. Also, Black and Decker makes one that works 3 way (household plug in, rechargeable batter, 12V).

I bought Ridgid, not Ryobi (although if I'd had a Ryobi charger, I might've bought that).

As for which one, the OP already bought one (Ryobi 18V, good choice). As for performance, probably Milwaukee is the best but they cost a premium. As for 12V inflators, I like one of Amazon Basics. Also, Black and Decker makes one that works 3 way (household plug in, rechargeable batter, 12V).

Friends,

Amethyst
You should be happy with the Ridgid inflator-
Mine works great.

I bought Ridgid, not Ryobi (although if I'd had a Ryobi charger, I might've bought that).

I see now. My mistake. Got my R's mixed up.

The Rigid looks like a great inflator.

Dewalt all the way. I’ve had mine a year and love it. Bought it on Amazon and got the case for it also. And yes I already had a dewalt power drill and electric chainsaw I love both. My son has Black & Decker electric tools so I bought him the B&D compressor. It works fine but cheap in comparison to the dewalt. I would purchase the make for whatever batteries you already have.

That's what I have. I love mine. It's amazing how many times I can top up tire inflation on a single charge of the battery. I do think it's loud enough that I cover my ears while it's running.

I picked up a Milwaukee M18 inflator. Love it. Fast, convenient and relatively quiet. Dial in a set pressure and it shuts off automatically. As a test, I deflated a spare tire assembly (245/40-17) and it took just over a minute and a half to go from zero to 30 psi. Not the cheapest option, but worth it, IMO, especially after adding a push-on quick connect fitting.

Back
Top Bottom