Beyond Meat Burger and Impossible Burger 2.0

Bacon cheeseburger and a beer please!

It’s funny, those who want to prefer alt burgers are likely to, and those who want to prefer beef in whatever form are likely to. Like most forum topics...we rarely change our minds, though we’re all open minded. Nothing new...though with the internet it’s much easier these days to find a convincing argument for almost any POV (by presenting one side only).

The quote in my sig line holds up year after year.

Last edited:
No onion rings or fries. Gotta stay a little healthy eh?

The ironic thing is, I've been eating far more beef since this thread started! It has me thinking about beef, and the 'real thing' is more available, so I've been eating that. And enjoying it!

Had salmon tonight though, so got some catching up to do. ;)

I might posit that someone who thinks others aren't open to changing their minds, is maybe a bit closed minded themselves, hmmm?

But again, what does this thread (or many others) have to do with changing someone's mind? Couldn't I start a thread about how much I like a certain style of beer, without any expectation or pretense that I'm going to change someone else's mind about that style of beer? I don't even see a connection. We like what we like. Can't I just express that?

-ERD50

I’m predicting a pea shortage now that Beyond Meat will corner the market on real ones to make its ersatz meat, so someone needs to develop a good ersatz pea. We can call it Velpeata. And each one will need only a teeny tiny amount of water so win win.

As you might imagine, we did read the ingredients before buying. And we weren’t looking for “diet food.” What in the ingredients bothers you?

Below via: https://faq.impossiblefoods.com/hc/en-us

WHAT ARE THE INGREDIENTS? In 2019, we debuted a new Impossible Burger -- and it’s tastier, juicier, and better than ever. Here’s the ingredient list:

Water, Soy Protein Concentrate, Coconut Oil, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavors,
2% or less of: Potato Protein, Methylcellulose, Yeast Extract, Cultured Dextrose, Food Starch Modified, Soy Leghemoglobin, Salt, Soy Protein Isolate, Mixed Tocopherols (Vitamin E), Zinc Gluconate, Thiamine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), Sodium Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Niacin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin B12.

Quail_NFP_-_No_servings_per_container_4_oz__for_collateral_to_foodservice___2_.jpg
9Rb9wmr.jpg

Below via: https://impossiblefoods.com/heme/
(Other: WHAT IS SOY LEGHEMOGLOBIN, OR HEME? https://faq.impossiblefoods.com/hc/en-us/articles/360019100553-What-is-soy-leghemoglobin-or-heme-)

TINY MOLECULE. BIG FLAVOR.
Heme is what makes meat taste like meat. It’s an essential molecule found in every living plant and animal -- most abundantly in animals -- and something we’ve been eating and craving since the dawn of humanity. Here at Impossible Foods, our plant-based heme is made via fermentation of genetically engineered yeast, and safety-verified by America’s top food-safety experts and peer-reviewed academic journals. Watch more below.

(THE HEME PROCESS)
HOW IT’S MADE
We started by using the heme-containing protein from the roots of soy plants. It’s called soy leghemoglobin. We took the DNA from soy plants and inserted it into a genetically engineered yeast. And we ferment this yeast—very similar to the way Belgian beer is made. But instead of producing alcohol, our yeast multiply and produce a lot of heme. Why use genetic engineering? Read all about it on Medium:

Last edited:
haha@ "we should all be so fortunate". Fair point!

He worked at one last year. There are also hundreds of undercover videos at slaughterhouses available online. Nothing good happens there, but we all have a choice whether or not we want to support it.

This book also has numerous testimony from slaughterhouse workers:

https://www.amazon.com/Slaughterhouse-Shocking-Inhumane-Treatment-Industry/dp/1591024501
Sure but have you never heard the "silent scream" of soybeans going under the knife? And they can't even TRY to run away.

Just sayin'....

I think a big part of the problem is that most of us have no idea where our meat comes from (other than "the supermarket"). If you don't know your producer, your meat could be laced with pretty much anything.

Sometimes I end up buying chicken at the supermarket, but mostly if I am not eating game I try to source my meat direct from the grower. A couple of buddies and I are splitting a 276 pound pig delivered to the butcher a couple days ago by a family where the kids raised pigs for 4H. I have also bought pork from a nearby small farm where I have actually seen his setup and watched the pigs hop around doing their thing.

I think a big part of the problem is that most of us have no idea where our meat comes from (other than "the supermarket"). If you don't know your producer, your meat could be laced with pretty much anything.

Sometimes I end up buying chicken at the supermarket, but mostly if I am not eating game I try to source my meat direct from the grower. A couple of buddies and I are splitting a 276 pound pig delivered to the butcher a couple days ago by a family where the kids raised pigs for 4H. I have also bought pork from a nearby small farm where I have actually seen his setup and watched the pigs hop around doing their thing.

It’s great having that kind of local access, plus a large chest freezer I assume.

It’s great having that kind of local access, plus a large chest freezer I assume.

A huge upright freezer, actually. Elk season is upon us, so I have been emptying it out. Time for some more jackrabbit meat loaf...

Yep, we do the same thing. We get a 1/4 side of grass-fed beef and a whole lamb from a local farmer every year. I know the farmer well and see how the animals are raised. In some years we get a pig from a different farmer. And we get farm eggs from a different friend of ours. And DW and I have been able to harvest two whitetail deer each year for the last several years, which provides us with some great organic venison. In fact, we are getting ready for the upcoming archery deer season right now. We have two big freezers to hold all the meat.

Could not get rifle tags for deer or elk this year so I have been learning to shoot a smokepole for muzzleloader season. Got a muzzleloader bear tag this year as.well.

Could not get rifle tags for deer or elk this year so I have been learning to shoot a smokepole for muzzleloader season. Got a muzzleloader bear tag this year as.well.

Good luck with the muzzleloader. I've used one a few times, but we really like to hunt with a crossbow for deer. The season starts much earlier, so the weather is nicer, for one thing. Our goal is to harvest two deer in October with the crossbow, if we can. We have two grandsons who eat a lot, so we need the meat!

I love my TC New Englander. Very accurate with patched round ball. Haven't tried with bullets yet.

This thread is pretty far off now from talking about BB an the IB ...

You can skip this video if you prefer…..but it made me remember this thread.

I’m on a strong real food kick which means completely avoiding highly processed foods, and these “plant-based meat” foods are extremely processed. This video talks about the production of Leghemoglobin which mimics the blood in meat. Impossible Burger did genomic sequencing of this Leghemoglobin compound extracted from soy plant roots (also never used in human food), and trained a fungus to grow it for them. To get it on the FDA Generally Regarded as Safe (GRAS) list it took Impossible Burger a couple of tries because that ingredient had never before been used in food and for the second attempt Impossible Burgers did a mice study that were fed Leghemoglobin for 28 days and claimed no adverse effects. The FDA accepted this to mark it GRAS, even though there were some significant blood marker changes in just 28 days. I suppose none of the mice died during the study, so that was good. They are of course sacrificed at the end to complete the study.

Last edited:
But I’m on a strong real food kick which means completely avoiding highly processed foods, and these “plant-based meat” foods are extremely processed.

Personally, I would never eat these processed fake meat products. Like you, I try to emphasize real/whole foods (that our bodies have evolved to consume), and avoid franken-foods like this stuff. No thanks!

Personally, I would never eat these processed fake meat products. Like you, I try to emphasize real/whole foods (that our bodies have evolved to consume), and avoid franken-foods like this stuff. No thanks!

While it undoubtedly would be a healthy lifestyle, I cannot imagine avoiding all processed foods. I wouldn't miss things like Impossible Burgers and Doritos, but what about yogurt, olive oil, bread, cheese, wine, beer? All those things are "processed", as they are the result of taking raw ingredients found in nature and manipulating them into quite different forms. Are you a real-food purist, or are you OK with things like olive oil, wine, and cheese? Where do you draw the line? What makes something processed, and therefore, not "real food"?

While it undoubtedly would be a healthy lifestyle, I cannot imagine avoiding all processed foods. I wouldn't miss things like Impossible Burgers and Doritos, but what about yogurt, olive oil, bread, cheese, wine, beer? All those things are "processed", as they are the result of taking raw ingredients found in nature and manipulating them into quite different forms. Are you a real-food purist, or are you OK with things like olive oil, wine, and cheese? Where do you draw the line? What makes something processed, and therefore, not "real food"?

For me personally, wine and cheese are fine, as they are fermented foods with few or no added ingredients, so not highly processed. All fermented vegetables are good too. Good quality olive oil is okay too, as that is simply cold-pressed, not really processed per se. Yogurt would be okay also if it was real yogurt that did not have added sugar, artificial flavor, and other stuff.......and it's hard to find real yogurt in the stores these days.

Probably a better term to use is "ultra-processed". Those are the things I really try to avoid. In that category I would include anything that comes in a box or bag with a long list of ingredients on the side. I would also include anything with added ingredients such as high-fructose corn oil, artificial colors and flavors, emulsifiers, etc.. And the industrial seed oils are clearly ultra-processed, since the oil is extracted and altered by using things like hexane and deodorizers. Margarine is ultra-processed.

The fake meat products are clearly ultra-processed, as you can see if you look at the list of ingredients that goes into them, and how the ingredients are manipulated.

Bread and things made from refined grains are probably in the ultra-processed category also (in my book), since the grain (seed) is ground into a powder by breaking the cell wall. These "acellular" carbs do promote insulin resistance if eaten often, as you can see if you check your blood sugar after eating a few slices of bread. I'm not perfect, though, so I do still eat bread occasionally, although I try to limit it. I won't eat things like cookies, doughnuts, and other pastries.

I try to stick mostly with real/whole foods (veggies, meat, fish/shellfish, eggs, nuts, some fruit such as berries) because I believe those are the foods have evolved to consume. Most people (including me) would have a hard time eating those foods 100% of the time, but it's not too hard to stick to the "80/20" rule, where you consume the good stuff at least 80% of the time. If you do that, your diet will still be FAR superior than the diet of the average American, and your health will probably be better as well, IMO.

For me personally, wine and cheese are fine, as they are fermented foods with few or no added ingredients, so not highly processed. All fermented vegetables are good too. Good quality olive oil is okay too, as that is simply cold-pressed, not really processed per se. Yogurt would be okay also if it was real yogurt that did not have added sugar, artificial flavor, and other stuff.......and it's hard to find real yogurt in the stores these days.

Probably a better term to use is "ultra-processed". Those are the things I really try to avoid. In that category I would include anything that comes in a box or bag with a long list of ingredients on the side. I would also include anything with added ingredients such as high-fructose corn oil, artificial colors and flavors, emulsifiers, etc.. And the industrial seed oils are clearly ultra-processed, since the oil is extracted and altered by using things like hexane and deodorizers. Margarine is ultra-processed.

The fake meat products are clearly ultra-processed, as you can see if you look at the list of ingredients that goes into them, and how the ingredients are manipulated.

Bread and things made from refined grains are probably in the ultra-processed category also (in my book), since the grain (seed) is ground into a powder by breaking the cell wall. These "acellular" carbs do promote insulin resistance if eaten often, as you can see if you check your blood sugar after eating a few slices of bread. I'm not perfect, though, so I do still eat bread occasionally, although I try to limit it. I won't eat things like cookies, doughnuts, and other pastries.

I try to stick mostly with real/whole foods (veggies, meat, fish/shellfish, eggs, nuts, some fruit such as berries) because I believe those are the foods have evolved to consume. Most people (including me) would have a hard time eating those foods 100% of the time, but it's not too hard to stick to the "80/20" rule, where you consume the good stuff at least 80% of the time. If you do that, your diet will still be FAR superior than the diet of the average American, and your health will probably be better as well, IMO.

Gotcha, makes perfect sense the way you describe it. And yes, I think it's more accurate to use the term ultra-processed.

I wish I had the discipline to follow something like the 80/20 rule when it comes to eating healthy, whole foods. But I just can't imagine a (happy) life without ice cream, chocolate, wine, pasta, and the occasional donut or stack of warm pancakes. I suppose I'm one of those people who feel that the enjoyment of some things (like processed foods, in moderation) are worth the risks to my long term health. Hopefully, I make up for it in other ways, like staying active, exercising, not smoking, etc.

Just about all the animals I eat were on a plant-based diet, so I figure that puts me just one step removed from being a vegan. :cool:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom