Bio-Clean Enzyme Drain Cleaner

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
After 27 years of use, the kitchen drain clogged. We have a septic system, so we don't use drain cleaners. Called a plumber to snake the pipe. He recommended a product called Bio-Clean which we would buy through the plumbing company. I showed him an ad on Amazon for "Bio-Clean" and he immediately said, "That's made in China - fake - doesn't work. The real Bio-Clean is made in Wisconsin."

So I thought, but did not say, Hmmm...I know some very practical DIYers on a certain Internet forum...I bet they know whether Chinese enzymes are different from the enzymes they have in Wisconsin...

What say you all?

Edited to add: Here's an ad that claims to be the real stuff from Wisconsin! http://www.bio-clean.com/whatisbioclean.php

Amethyst

Last edited:
I've never used anything like that and never had a need to buy anything like that.

Why not just remove the trap, clean out the clog and reassemble. Nothing to buy, no chemicals involved and free!

We do that with bath drains, but this drain was beyond us technically. I'm sure it would be within some ERs' ability.
I've never used anything like that and never had a need to buy anything like that.

Why not just remove the trap, clean out the clog and reassemble. Nothing to buy, no chemicals involved and free!

The plumber just sold me some of this stuff after I had a basement drain back up in December- grey water from the kitchen garbage disposal, but still a mess since it soaked half the downstairs carpet and it needed professional cleaning. Since it's preventative you never know if it works or not but I can tell you I would not buy a Chinese version- from the people who brought us toxic drywall and melamine- tainted pet food? At best the counterfeit might be totally useless ingredients- you'd never know.

Is it just me or does the bio-germ look a lot like Jackie Gleason?

a1.gif

2Q==
jackie-gleason-9542440-1-402.jpg

2Q==

I used bio-clean years ago. Perhaps while living in WI. As I remember, it worked but really can't remember the problem or why we stopped purchasing it. We did not have a septic tank. I had the opportunity of buying Drano very inexpensively, so I must have been confident about Bio-Clean.

I have used Zep for the last few years.
The positive is non-toxic.
The negative is application every 6 weeks. Does not work for lazy people.

I have used Zep for the last few years.
The positive is non-toxic.
The negative is application every 6 weeks. Does not work for lazy people.

Being that I am lazy, I'm wondering if Bio-Clean is any different in the frequency of applications. Also, if it is, how do you know, where do you get it from the original source - Wisconsin. If the one on Amazon is a forgery, wouldn't the real company do something about that? Wouldn't the comments reflect that? For $40-$50, I'd want to make sure I'd be getting a product that works and is safe. As was mentioned, some of the products we've received from the Chinese, have been concerning, to say the least.

I used the green gobbler drain cleaner in my shower. It definitely worked. I don’t think it would clear a clog, but I do think it removes gunk. I also use the flushable packets for my septic tank. Can’t really evaluate if they work or not but It’s very old so I’m trying to keep er going!

Get a mechanical drain cleaner with a 75'+ line. That is the only real way to clean a drain line. Buy one or hire a plumber and be done with it.

Did you read my first post? The plumber who snaked the pipe, is the one who recommended Bio-Clean.

Get a mechanical drain cleaner with a 75'+ line. That is the only real way to clean a drain line. Buy one or hire a plumber and be done with it.

Did you read my first post? The plumber who snaked the pipe, is the one who recommended Bio-Clean.

I can maybe find links later, but I read from impartial studies studies that these "bio" things can cause further problems in the septic filed - they keep things active in the tank, rather than settling out as they should - 'stuff' gets in the field. That gets very, very expensive!

You are right not to use drain cleaner (lye based) - I also read that is like 100x worse for septic than bleach (which is OK in reasonable amounts).

Get one of those little plungers made for sinks. Use it every few weeks with the sink full of hot water. Focus on the 'pull' stroke, that pulls the gunk back, loosens it, and then it flows down the pipe. That should keep the buildup from getting to the level of a clog. Dumping a large pot of boiling water down the drain quickly once in a while helps as well.

Since you said "kitchen drain", I'm assuming the clog was right there, and not far down the pipe?

-ERD50

Interesting question. The plumber said the snake brought back hair and fibers; in a house with 5 bathrooms, nobody washes their hair in the kitchen sink! He thought the clog may have involved the washing machine drain. The laundry room is next door to the kitchen.

One reason I was not surprised to hear this, is that this is the first clogged kitchen drain we've had in 27 years. It's had lots of time to develop.

Bathroom sink clogs due to hair are common, but those are easily (if ickily) cleared by removing the sink drain stopper.

Since you said "kitchen drain", I'm assuming the clog was right there, and not far down the pipe?

-ERD50

He recommended a product called Bio-Clean which we would buy through the plumbing company. I showed him an ad on Amazon for "Bio-Clean" and he immediately said, "That's made in China - fake - doesn't work. The real Bio-Clean is made in Wisconsin."

Hmmm. The only product he recommends is one that he sells? No one else in the world has that same or similar product? I do not fault the plumber, he probably make as much selling that stuff as he does with cleaning drains. I even bet he said to use it on a regular basis, so you can buy it forever while he rests on the beaches of Tahiti.

Drains are easy. Stuff gets in it, and that stuff needs to be cleaned out. Either brought back to the surface or flushed down to the next area.

If the bio stuff worked, there would be no need for a mechanical drain cleaner. Hair will not dissolve when a human is buried in the ground, and you think some fancy bacteria that will be flushed through the drain will clean it?

Ask your City how they clean the main sewer clogs? If a bio solution worked, they would use it on a regular basis too.

Any bacteria based solution will not work. Any chemical solution will not work well. I have a Ridgid K-400 machine that I use to clean drains.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom