Bittersweet Retired at 60

BeFrank

Confused about dryer sheets
:cool:

This is probably a bit longer of a read, but here's my retirement story so far.

I was just learning about FIRE in 2019. I'd taken control of my investments and even with COVID was doing pretty well. In August of 2020 my mother suffered a stroke. I flew from California to see her in Louisiana. I ended up having to extend my one week visit to stay and care for my mother during her recovery. There was just no other reliable family member who could take the time off to be there to help. My employer was understanding, but I think that was true for only as long as they were legally required to be. I absolutely was thankful for the Paid Family Leave time from my company and the state. That allowed me to focus on my mother's health for three whole months. After the three months were up, my employer requested that I come back to work. If I couldn't come back the only option they were willing to offer was early retirement. I wanted to be angry, but that's not really me. There was no way I could consider leaving my mother and walked away from a job I still enjoyed (I worked in local news and it wasn't really as much fun by then anyway).

My wife and I had become very fiscally responsible over the course of our life (we did not start out that way). We discovered Index Fund Investing and we benefited greatly from owning our home outright and not having ANY debt. My wife had been able to retire in the previous year and we were having the conversation about my retiring in 2021, but I was likely going to wait until 2023 when I turned 62. I was in no rush.

I was able to stay with my mom until January 2021. She suffered another stroke and passed away. It was difficult, but I'll never be sorry for the time I got to spend with her.

It hasn't been quite a year yet since my retirement. I spent a total of six months in Louisiana and I'm still grieving the loss of my mom. That's really difficult for me. Once I got back to California I decided to tread very carefully and deal with the loss.

My retirement was less expected than I would have imagined, but it seems to be working out pretty well. Our living expenses and medical benefits are covered by my wife's pension and her retirement benefits. We have stock investments and my 401k and have only drawn from dividend payments off of them so far this year. At some point we plan to travel and I have it in mind that I'd like to live in another country for at least an extended vacation.

Being financially secure isn't something we take for granted. We struggled early in our careers and in raising our family (three kids). After paying others to take care of our investments I try to be well informed so my wife and I can make sound financial decisions. We're enjoying our retirement and look forward to long happy lives.

...or was I just supposed to say, hello?

welcome!

Very sorry to hear of your mom's passing, but it is a good story that you were able to be there for her. Life does throw us curves, and being grounded financially and soulfully (couldn't think of the right word) is a good thing.

Your story has some features in common with ours, so I enjoyed the share :)

Hope you guys have a blessed retirement!

Thanks. I appreciate the kind words and I'm glad you enjoyed my first post here.

We are enjoying ER so far and I hope likewise for you.

Sorry for your loss but I welcome you to ER. I also wish you a great rewarding ER.

I‘m sorry you had a bittersweet time of it - but honestly I think your time with your mother was more meaningful than any work experience during that period ever could have been.

And speaking as someone who left the news business at 51 - to make it to 61 in the current state of the industry puts you in the top 1% of survivors for sure. Be grateful for your long run; be even more grateful that you were able to do what you felt you needed to do for your mother.

Now enjoy.

I‘m sorry you had a bittersweet time of it - but honestly I think your time with your mother was more meaningful than any work experience during that period ever could have been.

And speaking as someone who left the news business at 51 - to make it to 61 in the current state of the industry puts you in the top 1% of survivors for sure. Be grateful for your long run; be even more grateful that you were able to do what you felt you needed to do for your mother.

Now enjoy.

I couldn't have said it better, on both counts. And OP, take some comfort in the fact that you really came through for your mom in her time of need.

How proud your Mom must have been, when she realized what a compassionate, caring son she had raised. She'd want you to enjoy your retirement!

You will never regret the time you spent with your mother, and that you made sacrifices in your life that she I'm sure was so proud of you for. And it's also the sort of loss that takes time to recover from--sometimes it smacks you at the most unexpected moments. It sounds like you are handling what's in front of you with understanding and grace.

Enjoy your retirement, and welcome!

Welcome to ER forum and to retirement.
Condolences on the loss of your Mom. Being there for her was the best thing you could do, it shows true compassion and selfless love. Take your time to grieve.

BeFrank,
I am a long time lurker here... I've only posted a few times over the years, but your post moved me to the point of tears. Being FI is wonderful but I consider raising my son to be my greatest accomplishment. Thank you for posting. I hope you will post again to let us know how you are doing.

Thank you, Early Retirment community. I have learned so much and I doubt I would have had the courage to retire when I did, at 58 if I had not been reading your posts. I'm 64 now and have no regrets.

Last edited:
You gave the best gift to your Mom anyone could give and in her toughest stage of life. Respect to you!!!! Enjoy your retirement.

Welcome BeFrank, glad to hear your story. It is great that you could be there for your mother, of course sad when they do pass away. Congrats to you and your wife being in good financial shape and able to enjoy retirement. Stick around here and you will learn more and become even better at your self-directed financial skills. You will do fine and getting over the emotional aspects of the slightly unexpected retirement timing and the passing of your mother.

Sorry for your loss, but welcome to ER.
Things have a way of working out.

When younger people post "can I retire" threads, I often respond that life will have a lot of variables over a 20-30 year span, but that by living reasonably and being financially prepared, you'll be able to have options for whatever happens. I'm glad that you had options when your Mom needed you, and you'll always be glad that you were able to do what you thought was right.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your story. Look forward to hearing more from you!

What a great story. You will live to thank your company for forcing the decision and you were close enough to make it happen. You should never regret your decision and there is plenty of support here if you need it.

(My Dad made a similar decision when my Mom died of cancer at 57. He retired early and never regretted it.)

welcome to the forum Frank and my condolences for a rough set of circumstances to start your retirement. You did right by your mom.

Thank you for sharing your great story. The time we spend with family, especially when they need us, is precious. Fortunately you were financially prepared to be there for her! What a blessing!

Thank you for sharing your great story. The time we spend with family, especially when they need us, is precious. Fortunately you were financially prepared to be there for her! What a blessing!

x2

Back
Top Bottom