Black Friday

The only kind of store that I would dare set foot in on Black Friday is a grocery store. I figure everyone's eating leftovers and the grocery store should be pretty near deserted.

Oh, I understand that. One of my friends has such a business. He has connections with more than a few stores and auction houses in our state and adjoining ones to get heavily discounted/discontinued items and resell them. I was more posting in the context of "not everyone rushing out for those retail Black Friday deals are buying Holiday presents" :). in fact, I would suspect that more retail arbitrage is happening on Black Friday sales than were in the past.
You're probably right. It's much easier to be a reseller today with smartphones and apps. Ebay, Marketplace, OfferUp, Craigslist, and others are pretty easy to use. Especially the local ones. Just snap a couple of pictures, write a quick description, and people will come right to your house, get the item, and leave the cash in your mailbox. You don't even have to leave your house to sell stuff now. And ebay lets you sell to buyers all over the world with relative ease.

DW is out today with DD and DGD#1. My phone has been dinging periodically with text messages from the CC companies so she must be doing some good. More than the buying, I think she enjoys the activity with daughter and grand daughter.

DD went out for the annual poinsettias from Home Depot. They used to be .99 but this year they’re $1.98. Not sure if they’re any larger than in the past.

No. Even at $1.98 they are smaller. For years I used to get up early, go to HD and buy as many as they would let me. Then drop off two each to all my neighbors. Built a lot of good will just to know we were thinking about them. Today they were so small, we only bought four.

No. Even at $1.98 they are smaller. For years I used to get up early, go to HD and buy as many as they would let me. Then drop off two each to all my neighbors. Built a lot of good will just to know we were thinking about them. Today they were so small, we only bought four.

SIL dropped off four and I agree, they weren’t as nice as last year and years before. Same size pot, but the plants themselves were definitely smaller.

In the past, I did like you. Get 12 (the max) and pass them out. People loved it. The only one left on my list is my chiropractor. She’s a sweetheart. She’ll get two of the four. Still, for four bucks, it brings a nice smile.

On Tuesday, I decided that I wanted to sign up for very fast fiber-optic internet with a local provider. $30/month, with no set-up fee, no contract, and no extra taxes or fees, for speeds up to 10GB/s was too good to turn down. Ordered the service on Tuesday afternoon, and they installed it on Wednesday morning. This morning, I decided I needed a new router to take full advantage of these high speeds. Ordered it on Amazon and, purely by chance, got a "Black Friday deal" on a $100 router for $70. They are delivering it later today (same day delivery).

That has been the extent of my Black Friday experiences in many years!

Well I changed my mind and went shopping. Got some batteries, tools, tool bags, and a pair of work boots. Went mid afternoon and stores weren’t overly crowded.

I had a few things that I was watching to see if they went on sale for Black Friday. One was a new office chair which I actually ordered Wed but have yet to swing by and pick it up because I am concerned about the traffic. I also had another item that I was hoping to go on sale today as I was watching the store all week. Due to MSRP set by the manufacturer it is already at the lowest price at the 4 main stores that sell it. So I went ahead this afternoon and ordered it. Not because it is Black Friday but rather I have been putting it off for a month.

JDARNELL

Normally I make a point of staying home on Black Friday.... But younger son is in town and said he wanted some pants he'd seen at Costco... And we had to return a diamond blade concrete saw blade at Home Depot. So we went to HD - quick return. Costco opened at 9am for black friday (Not sure why since I didn't see any door-buster type deals). We got to Costco at 8:45 and doors were just opening... we were back in the parking lot at 9:10am. Better/less crowded than a regular day at Costco. Almost no one there. Got home in time to start the bone broth from the turkey bones for tonights turkey soup.

I never bothered to be at the store on Black Fridays ever. This year I went a step further: did not do any online shopping this week.

There is nothing I need and my storage has enough holiday gifts for the next two years.

Before visiting my sister's family (part of the post-Thanksgiving gathering), I got a large sized pizza. I liked that pizza.

Last edited:
I went to black Friday one time when the kids were young. It was total madness due to the hot toys of the year being on special sale that day only. I managed to get what I went for and left the crowds behind. I saw real fear in the eyes of the clerks. One young woman had eyes like saucers when she saw the crowd from the mall piling into the store. She literally shrank back. I caught her attention and pointed to the item I wanted (stacks and stacks of special items were corralled in the checkout area.) She started to settle down a bit by the time we finished the sale.

I won't even leave the neighborhood on Black Friday. I did use an online coupon for 50% off a photo book.

Looks like Hulu stopped their silliness with needing a different email and payment method to get the $1.99/month deal. I tried again this morning and it let me do it with my existing email and payment method. I was not playing their game, so glad I waited and tried again.

Looks like Hulu stopped their silliness with needing a different email and payment method to get the $1.99/month deal. I tried again this morning and it let me do it with my existing email and payment method. I was not playing their game, so glad I waited and tried again.

I’m not seeing this. But good for you!

I’m not seeing this. But good for you!
I logged out of my existing Hulu account on all my devices, rebooted my laptop opened an incognito window and went to hulu.com and clicked get this deal. I logged in with an e-mail address I had used a few years ago and a debit card that had never been used previously on the Hulu account and it went right though. I had already cancelled my deal from last year although it was still active till Nov 26 and I signed up for the new account on the 24th. So try a new e-mail address or one that was not used last year and a credit/debit card never before affiliated with Hulu and it should work.

I tried signing up for the Hullu deal (after canceling the old one) with an email address I hadn't used with them for more than a year - no luck. I created a new email address and was able to sign up.

Back
Top Bottom