Blood Pressure Medicines

Having any side effects with that Beta blocker?

Mike

not so far.. BP has been in check and I'm trying to worry less about things. That seems to help with some of the anxiety issues I've had. Irrational, but certainly not fun.

Mike

I am on that same Beta blocker, and I am a big fan of it for me. In my case, the dosage of Metoprolol is only 25 mg. Plus, I am on 25 mg Losartan for BP as well. Consequently my heart rate and blood pressure are amazing, typically around 105/72 and 65 beats per minute. I love to use my home BP machine now, just to see how great the numbers are.

As far as side effects, none to report yet. These two replaced Fosinopril, which had a side effect for me (a long term cough that wouldn't go away). No cough, and much better numbers than I ever approached when on Fosinopril.

Mike

I'm on the same one (25 mg) with no other drugs at all. No issues and even if I forget to take one for a couple of days (like on a business trip when forgetting to take the meds along), I feel no different.

I am on that same Beta blocker, and I am a big fan of it for me. In my case, the dosage of Metoprolol is only 25 mg. Plus, I am on 25 mg Losartan for BP as well. Consequently my heart rate and blood pressure are amazing, typically around 105/72 and 65 beats per minute. I love to use my home BP machine now, just to see how great the numbers are.

As far as side effects, none to report yet. These two replaced Fosinopril, which had a side effect for me (a long term cough that wouldn't go away). No cough, and much better numbers than I ever approached when on Fosinopril.

I'm currently on 20 mg of Lisinopril and 5 mg of Amlodopine daily. My BP is better but my heart rate is consistently high. I have a feeling my doc is going to put me on a beta blocker soon.

BTW: the Lisinopril side effects for me are a dry cough and cramping. According to my doctor the dry cough is common but the cramping symptoms are rare.

Mike

Had high blood pressure for probably 30 years.

Now I take the following once daily:

40mg Lisinopril (Free at local Pharmacy)
25mg HCTZ ($10 for 90 days)

No side effects. Seems to work for me.

Used to take Amlodipine but had terrible metal mouth and it really did not help much.

Tried Lisinopril on it's own but not much change, the HCTZ seems to make all the difference.

I am on that same Beta blocker, and I am a big fan of it for me. In my case, the dosage of Metoprolol is only 25 mg. Plus, I am on 25 mg Losartan for BP as well. Consequently my heart rate and blood pressure are amazing, typically around 105/72 and 65 beats per minute.

Salt - - I normally do not add extra salt to my food, but I eat out at lunch every day so I get plenty of salt that way. Yesterday I did something unusual, and added a LOT of salt to my eggs and to my green beans, just for the taste of it and to see what it would be like to add salt after years of no extra salt. I was daydreaming about chips and just kept shaking that salt shaker....

Today, my BP is 98/52 and 60 bpm. Lower BP in response to extra salt? Go figure. It must be due to something else, though I can't imagine what. If it stays this low, maybe I can get my internist to tweak my BP meds. Nah, I'm not that lucky but I can dream... :)

Would like to give all an update since all my test results have returned and saw the doctor today. My cholesterol numbers are improved after 3 months of careful diet although total cholesterol is still high at 7.44 but good cholesterol is high too. Due to fluctuating BP, I did a test which involved wearing a full day BP monitor ( only confirmed further my BP fluctuates throughout the day) and testing various urine composition affecting BP on my urine collected over 24 hours. The tests indicated normal ranges - not even hypertension! My BP measurements at home are usually within normal range but when doc measured me today, it was 150/90. Given all the tests, it would appear I am a usually high stressed person (I recently signed up for a year of meditation yoga - hope it helps). A blood test on my fasting glucose indicated I am pre- diabetic and given my grandma was diabetic, I took an oral glucose tolerance test and turned out I am not even pre-diabetic. So, doctor recommended that I just continue to monitor my BP at home and maintain a low cholesterol diet with lots of oatmeal and see him in August. No medication at all for the moment! Good thing the insurance is paying for all the expensive tests.

Would I have gone through all these tests if insurance is not paying? I would have because if I did not, I would have started taking medication for a supposedly high BP and pre diabetic condition. I would have been highly worried as a high BP and pre- diabetic condition is not good at all with a high cholesterol condition. Now, I just focus on a low cholesterol diet, exercise and learn to relax more.

Would like to give all an update since all my test results have returned and saw the doctor today. My cholesterol numbers are improved after 3 months of careful diet although total cholesterol is still high at 7.44 but good cholesterol is high too. Due to fluctuating BP, I did a test which involved wearing a full day BP monitor ( only confirmed further my BP fluctuates throughout the day) and testing various urine composition affecting BP on my urine collected over 24 hours. The tests indicated normal ranges - not even hypertension! My BP measurements at home are usually within normal range but when doc measured me today, it was 150/90. Given all the tests, it would appear I am a usually high stressed person (I recently signed up for a year of meditation yoga - hope it helps). A blood test on my fasting glucose indicated I am pre- diabetic and given my grandma was diabetic, I took an oral glucose tolerance test and turned out I am not even pre-diabetic. So, doctor recommended that I just continue to monitor my BP at home and maintain a low cholesterol diet with lots of oatmeal and see him in August. No medication at all for the moment! Good thing the insurance is paying for all the expensive tests.

Would I have gone through all these tests if insurance is not paying? I would have because if I did not, I would have started taking medication for a supposedly high BP and pre diabetic condition. I would have been highly worried as a high BP and pre- diabetic condition is not good at all with a high cholesterol condition. Now, I just focus on a low cholesterol diet, exercise and learn to relax more.
that is great news!
I have the same prob. with BP, at office it is high and home it is normal.

There are many different "basic" types of BP medicines... For anyone taking medication for high blood pressure, it might be worthwhile to learn what kind of drug you are taking, and important to understand what it might be doing to lower your blood pressure.
First of all, do you know what kind of medication? Which of these categories does it fit into?

ACE inhibitors
Angiotensen II receptor blockers
Calcium channel blockers
Alpha blockers
Alpha-2 Receptor Agonist
Combined alpha and beta blockers
Central agonists
Peripheral adrenergenic inhibitors
Blood vessel dilators, or vasodilators

Secondly... do you know what your medication actually does to lower your BP?

Third... what are the side effects?... short term? long term?

Why did your doctor prescribe the medication you are taking, and not some other type?

Results usually equate to success, but there are other considerations... Cost in $$$, overkill... resulting in lower BP, but covering up other bad habits that may have longer lasting effects... not just overeating, but masking the effects of smoking, alcohol, or other destructive lifestyles: ie...
a neighbor bragged about his "healthy" blood pressure, but died from cirrhosis of the liver.

ACE inhibitors such as lisinopril, have a possible side effect on the kidneys, which might require periodic testing to prevent damage, or to possibly change to a different medication.

As with anything else that deals with our physical health, there aren't always simple answers. If BP was simply a matter of salt, carbs, weight, exercise or a special diet, then that would be the magic cure for all. In the case of those taking medication, taking the time to understand what your medicine does, and how it works, could pay off over the longer term...

Basic information on BP medications here:
http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HighBloodPressure/PreventionTreatmentofHighBloodPressure/Types-of-Blood-Pressure-Medications_UCM_303247_Article.jsp

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom