Blue Ridge Parkway & Shenandoah National Park - Mid October - Any Tip

Budatx

Dryer sheet aficionado
I am planning a 5/6 day trip through Blue Ridge Parkway & Shenandoah NP in mid-October. I'll start at Cherokee, NC and continue to around Harrisonburg, VA. I'm a travel/landscape photographer, so I'd like to hit as many scenic areas as possible. I'll stay in hotels and due to a restricted diet, I'll buy/pack food for the road. Depending on a restaurant's menu, I may splurge a bit.

Any travel tips, advice or recommendations will be appreciated. Thanks!!

It's a beautiful trip. I loved it but after a couple of hours my wife was bored and the kids were asking how much longer we had to go before the hotel :)

We traveled through Shenandoah national park, blue ridge parkway to Smokey mountains this past late May. Had a wonderful time.

We stayed in the skyland lodge in Shenandoah park.basic accommodations, the food at the restaurant was good and loved the location.

We enjoyed our visit to the Luray Caverns.

The views from the blue ridge parkway were great.

Had a nice lunch at outskirts of Roanoke in Hollywood Restaurant.

Fall there should be very beautiful!

Last edited:
Mt. Airy is a fun stop for an hour or two if you're in the area. It's Mayberry N.C. The Blue Ridge Parkway is a gorgeous drive with lots of scenic views, interesting detours and historic places en route. There are plenty of reasonably priced hotels along the way that are in cool, heritage buildings with beautiful gardens. You might want to get a AAA guide or similar that points out the key areas of interest along the way. The fall foliage will be amazing. Have fun!

Some of the overlooks are drop dead gorgeous. Some have less of a view, or the view has become obscured by overgrown trees and shrubs. I live near the north end of the parkway, and they do a pretty good job of maintaining the views (even opened up one view recently that has been blocked for years) but I've heard differently from people here about the part in NC. You may just have to see as you go.

https://blueridgemountainstravelguide.com/best-blue-ridge-parkway-overlooks/ looks to be a reasonable list of ones with great views. I can confirm that #1-#4 all belong on this list. There are a couple other overlooks in this area that are really good too, so I guess I suggest slowing down as you approach an overlook and decide as you go. If you have someone on your tail, pull into the overlook and then decide.

https://www.virtualblueridge.com/parkway-places/overlooks/ lists all of the overlooks, with descriptions for many and pictures for some.
https://www.nps.gov/blri/index.htm is the official NPS site, with good info. This is where any closures would be listed. Usually it's just due to winter weather but there is one road washout near Roanoke.

Keep an eye on other traffic. October is very busy, especially weekends. While you are slowing down near an overlook and judging the view, the car in front of you may have stopped dead. Also watch out for bicyclists and even pedestrians. I sometimes run on the parkway but rarely in October.

Consider using an app like GasBuddy to see where gas stations are. You almost always will need to exit the parkway and descend to the valley to find a station. Don't cut it close, some parts are pretty remote from services.

Sometimes the best views require getting out of your car or off the parkway. Humpback Rocks at MP 6 has a tremendous view, but only if you hike a trail a mile uphill to the rocks. There are probably some waterfalls like that too, mostly in NC. Driving up to the Mill Mountain Star gives you a great view of Roanoke. The Biltmore in Asheville is just off the parkway. Even if you don't want to tour the house you might like seeing the grounds.

Mt. Airy is a fun stop for an hour or two if you're in the area. It's Mayberry N.C. The Blue Ridge Parkway is a gorgeous drive with lots of scenic views, interesting detours and historic places en route. There are plenty of reasonably priced hotels along the way that are in cool, heritage buildings with beautiful gardens. You might want to get a AAA guide or similar that points out the key areas of interest along the way. The fall foliage will be amazing. Have fun!
That's what we did back in mid October in the 1980s, from south to north. Everything was great, until we overlapped onto a Saturday. Then it was staring at the spare tire on the back of an RV ahead of us. Or another RV ahead of us, etc. etc. The traffic on the weekend was baaaad!
That was a long time ago, but traffic doesn't seem to get better with increasing population!

Mt. Airy is a fun stop for an hour or two if you're in the area. It's Mayberry N.C.

On our trip we had no agenda and just pulled into Mt. Airy by chance. They were right in the middle of a town fair. It was fun.

At the end of our trip (we drove south to north), we stayed at The Homestead.

https://www.omnihotels.com/hotels/homestead-virginia

There are hot springs to relax in and some recreational activities, but we just ate and recharged. We did enjoy a spa day that included soaking in hot spring water.

It was the only time working that I took took consecutive weeks off. The vacation was very unstructured. It was great. The fall colors are nice but there are also waterfalls (small ones). DW loved getting pictures of those. You definitely had to get out and do a little hiking to get to those. They’re a lot less robust in the fall than the spring, but they were flowing.

My second home is near the Blue Ridge Parkway in Banner Elk NC. The peak time for autumn leaves varies a lot from year to year. Lately the leaves have not been really changing in my area until about the 4th week in October. The prettiest parts of the BRP in my area are the Linn Cove Viaduct just south of Grandfather Mountain and the Linville Gorge area. DO NOT drive on the BRP during peak season on the weekend, it will be a parking lot. Consider a stop at Altapass Orchard, right on the parkway north of Spruce Pine. A working orchard with a beautiful view, a nice grill and local music on the weekends.

We did a similar tour. And I missed the Glade Creek grist mill in Babcock State Park in West Virginia. It may be a couple hours out of your way, but you could get some awesome fall color shots of that mill if conditions are right.

It's a great trip but slow going and might get a bit long-so much beauty can be tiring. I have done it in the other direction.

The Roanoke Star is very cool and it is a charming town. Luray Caverns is not the be missed if you like caverns. One of the best in the US.

I would work in some of the waterfalls and hikes into the mix. Also microbrews.

Visit Linville Falls, the Grandfather mountain, and some Walking trails near the Linn Cove Viaduct to see the views from an elevated altitude.

When the leaf peepers are out in 'full force', motel rooms can be hard to find. Plan accordingly.

omni

. DO NOT drive on the BRP during peak season on the weekend, it will be a parking lot. Consider a stop at Altapass Orchard, right on the parkway north of Spruce Pine.

I'll will 2nd this advice.. along with being extra careful driving. We ride the parkway often, and about every trip we see someone cross the center line because they are looking off...

Altapass has a place in history... In 1916 it recorded the highest US rainfall in 24 Hours at over 22 inches, and stood for many years, causing massive flooding across WNC.

I'll will 2nd this advice.. along with being extra careful driving. We ride the parkway often, and about every trip we see someone cross the center line because they are looking off...

Altapass has a place in history... In 1916 it recorded the highest US rainfall in 24 Hours at over 22 inches, and stood for many years, causing massive flooding across WNC.

Another piece of history about Altapass. The Over Mountain Men marched through there from Sycamore Shoals, TN to Kings Mountain NC where there was a major battle in the Revolutionary War. There is a reenactment every year at Altapass Orchard.

I know you said you're only going as far north as Harrisonburg, but if you can go a little further north you'll be in the area that we like to frequent, from Front Royal down to Luray. Skyline Drive runs along the ridge another 20-30 miles north of Harrisonburg up to Front Royal, so it's definitely doable as a day trip if you stay in Harrisonburg and there are plenty of "overlooks" on that stretch of Skyline to stop and take photographs. The Apple House is just outside of Front Royal, and we always stop there for some pulled pork and apple cider donuts, definitely worth a splurge!

And this is even further north and more of a splurge, but for any serious eaters reading, we've gone to The Inn at Vaucluse Spring for a couple of our anniversaries, and the meals are some of the best we've ever had.

We’ve driven BRP several times and it’s beautiful, but we’ve never stayed at any hotels, or tried to visit during peak Fall foliage. We love to visit Asheville and especially Blowing Rock NC FWIW. And we're anxious to visit Brevard NC, haven't been yet. Sorry we can’t offer more info.

Last edited:
I may be driving a bit of that about the same time... haven't planned my trip yet as I need to coordinate with friends along the way (and try to time the leaves!) but will likely hit Chattanooga TN, Devils Backbone, Highland NC, Asheville NC, to or from visiting family in VA.

Some of the overlooks are drop dead gorgeous. Some have less of a view, or the view has become obscured by overgrown trees and shrubs. I live near the north end of the parkway, and they do a pretty good job of maintaining the views (even opened up one view recently that has been blocked for years) but I've heard differently from people here about the part in NC. You may just have to see as you go.

https://blueridgemountainstravelguide.com/best-blue-ridge-parkway-overlooks/ looks to be a reasonable list of ones with great views. I can confirm that #1-#4 all belong on this list. There are a couple other overlooks in this area that are really good too, so I guess I suggest slowing down as you approach an overlook and decide as you go. If you have someone on your tail, pull into the overlook and then decide.

https://www.virtualblueridge.com/parkway-places/overlooks/ lists all of the overlooks, with descriptions for many and pictures for some.
https://www.nps.gov/blri/index.htm is the official NPS site, with good info. This is where any closures would be listed. Usually it's just due to winter weather but there is one road washout near Roanoke.

Keep an eye on other traffic. October is very busy, especially weekends. While you are slowing down near an overlook and judging the view, the car in front of you may have stopped dead. Also watch out for bicyclists and even pedestrians. I sometimes run on the parkway but rarely in October.

Consider using an app like GasBuddy to see where gas stations are. You almost always will need to exit the parkway and descend to the valley to find a station. Don't cut it close, some parts are pretty remote from services.

Sometimes the best views require getting out of your car or off the parkway. Humpback Rocks at MP 6 has a tremendous view, but only if you hike a trail a mile uphill to the rocks. There are probably some waterfalls like that too, mostly in NC. Driving up to the Mill Mountain Star gives you a great view of Roanoke. The Biltmore in Asheville is just off the parkway. Even if you don't want to tour the house you might like seeing the grounds.

Near Harrisonburg, pay attention to James Madison University’s family visit weekend, usually early October. Prices will be high and traffic a lot worse. (DS went to JMU). And due to fall colors, lots of traffic, but mainly on the weekends as was previously stated.

Any good hiking trails around that drive? We like to get out of the car and into nature too.

Any good hiking trails around that drive? We like to get out of the car and into nature too.
Up and down the whole parkway. I suggest a couple of books:

https://smile.amazon.com/Hiking-Blue-Ridge-Parkway-Ultimate/dp/1493024604/
I have an older version of this book, and used it a lot.

https://smile.amazon.com/Hiking-Traveling-Parkway-Revised-Expanded/dp/1469646978/
I don't have this book but I think I have another one by Adkins which I can't find right now. He oversees an overlook next to one I care for, though I can't say for sure if I've met him.

My favorite hike along the parkway is to Humpback Rocks, but not the overused one mile hike straight up from the parking area, but rather a 3 mile hike from the Humpback Picnic Area at MP 8.5. It's longer but starts much higher so there's not a lot of climb, though I wouldn't call it easy. On the way you cross a rock ledge with a great view of a ski resort, and my house. A little further if you know where to get the trail, you can see the remains of a crashed T-28 Trainer (pilot and co-pilot safely ejected).

Up and down the whole parkway. I suggest a couple of books:

https://smile.amazon.com/Hiking-Blue-Ridge-Parkway-Ultimate/dp/1493024604/
I have an older version of this book, and used it a lot.

https://smile.amazon.com/Hiking-Traveling-Parkway-Revised-Expanded/dp/1469646978/
I don't have this book but I think I have another one by Adkins which I can't find right now. He oversees an overlook next to one I care for, though I can't say for sure if I've met him.

My favorite hike along the parkway is to Humpback Rocks, but not the overused one mile hike straight up from the parking area, but rather a 3 mile hike from the Humpback Picnic Area at MP 8.5. It's longer but starts much higher so there's not a lot of climb, though I wouldn't call it easy. On the way you cross a rock ledge with a great view of a ski resort, and my house. A little further if you know where to get the trail, you can see the remains of a crashed T-28 Trainer (pilot and co-pilot safely ejected).

Thanks.

Perhaps this is the Humpback Rocks hike you are referring to:
https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/virginia/humpback-rocks-recreation-area

I lived outside of Atlanta, I traveled the entire Shenandoah Valley as far as Harrisonburg, VA. I often traveled segments of the Blue Ridge Parkway as far as south of Asheville (close to South Carolina.)

One winter morning at 4:30 am, I took Hwy 215 south of U.S. Hwy 74 at Canton, NC--just east of Lake Junaluska. Hwy 215 ends up at the Blue Ridge Parkway's southernmost point which is very high in the mountains. And as the sun came up that clear morning, the vistas on that less traveled part of the Blue Ridge Parkway were simply incredible.

Although I'm now retired, I really miss those years spent traveling Western NC, SW Virginia and East Tennessee. It is some beautiful country.

Back
Top Bottom