BMW introducing electric car

I've heard (not confirmed) that the relative price of diesel vs gasoline is not so tightly linked to the cost of production as it is to supply and demand.

Economics 101 - Price is a function of supply and demand.

Cost of production will certainly affect supply, of course. Just as substitutes affect demand for a product.

Since we're getting a diesel car soon, I've been watching the price of diesel lately. In central Ohio diesel has averaged about the same price as premium gasoline. Sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less. Always fairly close.

Today, for example, GasBuddy reports in my area that there is one station with premium at 3.59, while everyone else is selling it for above 3.72. Diesel starts at 3.67, but this price is available from half a dozen stations.

Here is an interview with Bob Lutz former vice-chairman of GM. He believes that introducing small electric vehicles first was a mistake, and there was much more to be gained electrifying the big trucks since the savings in fuel would have been much more dramatic.

The realization came to me suddenly late that the right place to electrify is at the heavy end, with full-size pickups and SUVs, which America loves but which are a somewhat endangered species with fuel-economy regulations.

Electric-vehicle convert Bob Lutz keeps plugging away | Business & Technology | The Seattle Times

This is due next year from Audi:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/23/a...rt-drive-in-the-2015-audi-a3-e-tron.html?_r=0

I like the styling better, looks pretty much like the regular A3. So you can have a direct comparison between this and the gas only version.

Not an electric so much as a plug-in hybrid though.

I think it's like 32000 Euros, which is like $45k at current exchange rates. Regular A3 starts around $30k? So you're paying 50% more for the plug-in hybrid, if Audi prices the US version as a straight conversion by FX rates. Of course, who knows what the exchange rate will be next year when it comes to the US.

Back
Top Bottom