Bogle's new book

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I just read this blog by Rick Ferri. Bogle's new book sounds like something worth reading. Especially interesting are the comments on how things changed: Investment became speculation, and pension managers put the pensions at risk by making assumptions based upon very high returns.

I could go on about what Mr. Bogle has seen during his career, but Mr. Ferri puts it much better than I can.

Occupy Wall Street Needs Bogle

There was a very favorable review of Bogle's new book in last week's issue of The Economist.

Meanwhile, many employees in the private sector have been switched into defined-contribution schemes, where their retirement income is dependent on investment performance. But employees are not saving enough, are not allocating their portfolios efficiently and are incurring too many costs. It is hard to disagree with Mr Bogle that the “system of retirement security is imperilled, heading for a serious train wreck.” But will anybody listen to him, when they haven’t in the past?

Interesting blog post, thanks for sharing. I'll be interested to see what some of the financially-minded regulars around here will have to say about the book after they read it. (My pile is too big to add another one right now.)

Yes, the fact that one has to save for retirement, that it is best to invest in low cost index funds and asset allocation are mysteries of the universe that you can only learn if you know the secret handshake (or read occasionally).

Back
Top Bottom