Bogle's Rule of 72

Jay,  I am sorry that the mega firm didn't work out.  I never liked the model they use and IMHO your better off not selling your whole life to THE FIRM.  

Boutique practices can be nice.  Very small firms seem to work best when they are highly specialized.  Also consider midsize firms with cultures that appeal to you.

Balance is everything.

Perhaps we should start a new thread if this discussion is going to continue, rather than continue to go OT on the Rule of 72.

My sincere thanks to all of you for your comments. I will most assuredly reevaluate my priorities in the very near future. In fact, NOT making partner may turn out to be the best thing that ever happened to me. ::)

Once I make a career decision (or find another job), I'm planning on taking the girlfriend on a long vacation. The vacation will likely give me perspective on my workaholic lifestyle, and help me prioritize what's important to me.

Jay,

You don't need a long vacation. What you and the girlfriend need is a few shorter vacations. A week will do wonders and you should do one now before you start the business. Will be easier than the first year or two starting the business.

And yes I agree that this will probably be the best thing that happend to you 8)

A different perspective.

My girlfriend told me the other day that I needed to put a very clear financial plan together for both the long and short term
Maybe first you need to put together a very clear girlfriend plan together for both the long & short term?

Hopefully it won't come down to a life-partner ultimatum of having to choose between your new lawyer and your girlfriend.

Back
Top Bottom