Bone marrow donation

Khan

Gone but not forgotten
I signed up back in '92. Got a call today that there might be a match.

I've been to the web page but if possible would like more info.

Anyone ever been involved in such?

Here is a link about bone marrow transplant for the recipient, with a few words for potential donors. Here is one from Mayo that has more for donors.

It's a selfless and generous gift, not a big deal medically in most cases, and I would love to hear your experience if you decide to proceed.

I saw these in great numbers including a lot of success.

Here is a link about bone marrow transplant for the recipient, with a few words for potential donors. Here is one from Mayo that has more for donors.

It's a selfless and generous gift, not a big deal medically in most cases, and I would love to hear your experience if you decide to proceed.

I saw these in great numbers including a lot of success.

How long do I have to leave the cat alone and when can I resume giving blood?

She called back. Next step is an on line health questionnaire and then another blood sample.
I'm leaning towards the marrow extraction rather than the apheresis. It is done under general anesthetic. I've never been under general. It's an outpatient procedure less than 20 miles away. The cat will be all right by himself for a day or so.
Assuming I am finally accepted, I'll have to find someone to give me a ride back.

Assuming I am finally accepted, I'll have to find someone to give me a ride back.

Yeah. I suspect that, like most medical facilities, they won't let you hire (or use) a commercial ride after anesthetic -- like a taxi, for instance. It will have to be someone willing to be personably responsible for your health and well-being.

Yeah. I suspect that, like most medical facilities, they won't let you hire (or use) a commercial ride after anesthetic -- like a taxi, for instance. It will have to be someone willing to be personably responsible for your health and well-being.

She said no cab.

I was put into the bone marrow donation pool about 15-17 years ago and a few years after that I got a call that I might be a match. At that point I had to go in and give another blood sample and I never heard back after that. I'm guessing that although I was an initial match, the more detailed testing and analysis ruled my match out. Any doctors out there that understand this type of screening? I would have been honored to donate my blood marrow to help someone in need.

I bet the national bone marrow registry people would help you find a ride.

They don't seem helpful to nearby folks.

Anyone near Dayton Ohio want to possibly help in the somewhat near future?

I was put into the bone marrow donation pool about 15-17 years ago and a few years after that I got a call that I might be a match. At that point I had to go in and give another blood sample and I never heard back after that. I'm guessing that although I was an initial match, the more detailed testing and analysis ruled my match out. Any doctors out there that understand this type of screening? I would have been honored to donate my blood marrow to help someone in need.
Inexcusable that they just left you hanging like that.

There are a lot of cross-matching tests done besides the usual hepatitis/AIDS/blood type screening and these include a number of antigens all of which relate to risk of rejection of the donor marrow. Of course if it was something that might impact your health (such as the examples above) they would presumably have contacted you, so it was likely some technical compatibility mismatch.

I wish I could pick you up Khan.

The city I live in (about 85,000) has a concierge type service; one of which is to take people to the hospital/doc for medical treatments and bring them home. Perhaps your city has one.

I wish I could pick you up Khan.

The city I live in (about 85,000) has a concierge type service; one of which is to take people to the hospital/doc for medical treatments and bring them home. Perhaps your city has one.

Ironically I am too close to be accommodated.

Last edited:
When I had surgery last year, the hospital gave me the same story about having someone pick me up. I told them I didn't need to be picked up and was quite capable of walking 4 blocks to my home and that I was leaving whether they liked it or not. They ended up calling me a cab (which I still didn't want to use, but agreed to just to placate them).

The only other idea I have is to contact a local church that might be able to assist you. If not, they may have other suggestions.

I wonder why a cab is a problem? I guess they figure a patient could have the cab drop them off at the next street corner, but there are no guarantees a friend picking a person up will work out. I have a buddy who had someone pick him up after a scope procedure, they go have lunch and then back to his parked car at the hospital and he drives home. Not a wise thing to do, but it does happen. And no, I was not involved in the shenanigans. ;)

I would call them and tell them you have no way and I'm sure if they want the marrow bad enough they will find a way . At the Surgery Center I worked at we said no cabs but we did make exceptions . We just kept the person longer to make sure they were recovered before we put them in a cab. The general rule for no cabs is because they want someone to assist you into your house safely.

I think I have found a local person to provide transportation. Maybe I could just ask the church down the street to return a favor.

Khan,

I hate to ask a personal question, but are you over 60 yet? The reason I ask is that I have been on a donor registry for a number of years. I always got a yearly letter asking for info updates, until last year when I turned 60. They seem to have dropped me off the list. I can't believe my bone marrow is no longer acceptable now that I am 60, but I did see on info you posted on your earlier thread that you have to be under 60 to be a donor.

Just wondering.... I am so glad you are doing this for someone. I lost a good friend several years ago with cancer who could not find an exact matching donor. She did have a bone marrow transplant from a donor who wasn't the best possible match and it didn't work.

Back
Top Bottom