Boomsday

tangomonster

Full time employment: Posting here.
Boomsday is a new novel that just came out, written by Christopher Buckley ("Thank You for Not Smoking"). The premise is that a 29 year old blogger, upset with her father for losing her college tuition money in some dot coms, decides that there are too many baby boomers enjoying retirement in gated communities that offer golf---while younger people have to work to ensure that their Social Security keeps coming---so she works on a plan to have the government offer financial incentives for people over 75 to "transition" (commit suicide)---special bonuses for doing it earlier.

I actually didn't care for the writing style, but DH loves it (it reminds him of Carl Hiassen). Could make a funny movie. And the premise is interesting if highly satirical and unrealistic (or at least, us "older" people hope!).

Those of us fifty and better remember the slogan "Don't trust anyone over 30!" back in the sixties/seventies. Do we need to change this to "Don't trust anyone under 30? Do you think younger people really are resenting us?

Boomsday is a new novel that just came out, written by Christopher Buckley ("Thank You for Not Smoking"). The premise is that a 29 year old blogger, upset with her father for losing her college tuition money in some dot coms, decides that there are too many baby boomers enjoying retirement in gated communities that offer golf---while younger people have to work to ensure that their Social Security keeps coming---so she works on a plan to have the government offer financial incentives for people over 75 to "transition" (commit suicide)---special bonuses for doing it earlier.

I actually didn't care for the writing style, but DH loves it (it reminds him of Carl Hiassen). Could make a funny movie. And the premise is interesting if highly satirical and unrealistic (or at least, us "older" people hope!).

Those of us fifty and better remember the slogan "Don't trust anyone over 30!" back in the sixties/seventies. Do we need to change this to "Don't trust anyone under 30? Do you think younger people really are resenting us?

I'm not sure if 75 if my number but I think the concept will become more popular in the future.
Not a new idea - see "Soylent Green" - good movie.

Sounds good to me if voluntary and painless.

Not sure if the younger ones are resenting us or not. Maybe someone should start a poll.

When I was in my 20's I didn't resent the "over 50 crowd". I felt sorry for them. They were old! :rolleyes:

"Don't trust anyone under 30?" I like that! I don't know if those under 30 resent us, sometimes I don't think they can see beyond their nose, and they just aren't concerned with or about the over 50 crowd....or the over 30 crowd for that matter! They don't really realize that 50 will bite them on the *ss faster than they can imagine.

In my experience (what little I've had in the short time I've been FIRE'd) the only ones that really seem to resent me, are the ones that are still slaving away and are somewhat jealous (or quite jealous) of those of us who can retire early and enjoy life!

My former, fellow co-w*rkers ranged in age from 46 to 55, and most see themselves w*rking into their mid-sixties....at least! So a few of them definitely resent me, and have done a good job of expressing that sentiment! Except one guy that just started there about 4 years ago, after he ER'd from another profession. He's just staying there long enough to become vested for the pension...about 4 more years. He's not at all resentful....quite the opposite....he told me that he's just very envious!

I just hope they have enough resentment to go around. There was one guy that FIRE'd a month before me, and there are 5 more people FIRE'ing at the end of June! :D

Back
Top Bottom