BPH Options

Many years ago at the doc's was talking about meds. He said there is a pill for everything. I said: I want THAT pill. :)
Nowdays at age 75 do not take any prescription meds. Prefer spending $ on stuff that gives expensive pee. So far so good.

Since one way or another, most drugs eventually leave in your pee, my pee is VERY expensive.:LOL: I think I figured I'm taking 8 prescription meds (plus some minerals and vitamins.) At least $12/day. Ridiculous! Still, I'm glad they make those drugs.

Unless things go south on me, this'll be my final update on my progress. I hope it might help someone out there some day. (See my earlier posts at #49, 59, 77 and 91)

Open Simple Prostatectomy...non cancerous, 10x normal size. Non- robotic, non lathroscopic.

This past Thursday, I had about 25 staples and my catheter removed. My 6 inch+ incision is healing very well. About 4 days after surgery, the incision stopped being tender and only bothered me if I sneezed or something. The catheter became my biggest aggravation, having had one for 8 weeks straight.

I had been worried about "leakage" once the catheter was removed, but.......no! Since Thursday, I'm a new man!! I wore a diaper for two days with no issues and moved to regular underwear on Saturday. Note that my procedure hollowed out the prostate but left the shell, giving me some control. I must say that I was expecting a much longer recovery.

At 71, I'm peeing like a 15 year old for the first time in 40 years, heavy stream. My urge to go is zero. And I'm not having to go to the bathroom every hour. I have been getting up 2 or 3 times a night but that is more about fearing an accident than about need. I'll get over it I suspect.

I'm having to relearn what "full" is and I'm realizing how miserable I was without even knowing it. I haven't felt like this---in this department anyway--- in 40 years. Lots of precautionary habits to unlearn like "let me pee before we leave"! And having mental map of where all the public toilets are (looking at you, Home Depot).

No heavy lifting for a month and I can't swim in my pool for another week but that’s ok.

Again a bit of TMI, but I offer it in the spirit of helping someone who may be going through the same thing. Good luck to anyone with similar issues!

Last edited:
Marko, Thank you for your detailed progress and development,
and I want to wish you all the best for a speedy recovery.

I have been nervous to her bad news, so reading you comments
gives me encouragement and confidence going forward.

Can you tell me if your PSA test results numbers varied after multiple PSA testing?

Marko, Thank you for your detailed progress and development,
and I want to wish you all the best for a speedy recovery.

I have been nervous to her bad news, so reading you comments
gives me encouragement and confidence going forward.

Can you tell me if your PSA test results numbers varied after multiple PSA testing?

My PSA had been around 2 before a terrible UTI 20 years ago. It shot up to 15 and stayed there for 20 years. Dr felt it a false positive. He predicts it will go down to 2 again. Next PSA in September.

I joined the HoLEP club Monday. 3 hours on the table, an hour in recovery with a catheter. Had a double valve catheter, a saline bag going in and a catch bag coming out.

24 hours observation with 3 good meals the spiced salmon was the best. Doc pulled the catheter, Ms G came to visit went for a walk, but didn't make it very far.

Lots of bladder scans to check my residual pee, as a condition of discharge.

Had my big boy pull ups for the ride home the next day.

My biopsy showed no cancer in the pulp sucked out. It is said that some small PC tumors are zapped in the laser procedure. I have had 2 and I have been on active surveillance for over 10 years

Pain none, no lifting, very light exercise etc. I get some blood and small clots during day activity, but pretty clear when sleeping. No leaks after 5 days when I cough. I have been doing kegels for years.

Walking to the road twice a day 1/16 mile each way. Drinking water until my eyes float, and been wearing a maxi pad just for grins.

Had a Western Diamondback on the west side this morning to relocate. First thing Ms G askes is "it wasn't over 10 lbs was it."

Doc had me stop my Tamsulosin and finasteride, so that is a good thing. PSA probably in 6 months.

My regular urologist and my surgeon are in the same medical group. If in Tucson I would highly recommend.

Grasshopper, 55 gm lighter.

Unless things go south on me, this'll be my final update on my progress. I hope it might help someone out there some day. (See my earlier posts at #49, 59, 77 and 91)

Open Simple Prostatectomy...non cancerous, 10x normal size. Non- robotic, non lathroscopic.

This past Thursday, I had about 25 staples and my catheter removed. My 6 inch+ incision is healing very well. About 4 days after surgery, the incision stopped being tender and only bothered me if I sneezed or something. The catheter became my biggest aggravation, having had one for 8 weeks straight.

I had been worried about "leakage" once the catheter was removed, but.......no! Since Thursday, I'm a new man!! I wore a diaper for two days with no issues and moved to regular underwear on Saturday. Note that my procedure hollowed out the prostate but left the shell, giving me some control. I must say that I was expecting a much longer recovery.

At 71, I'm peeing like a 15 year old for the first time in 40 years, heavy stream. My urge to go is zero. And I'm not having to go to the bathroom every hour. I have been getting up 2 or 3 times a night but that is more about fearing an accident than about need. I'll get over it I suspect.

I'm having to relearn what "full" is and I'm realizing how miserable I was without even knowing it. I haven't felt like this---in this department anyway--- in 40 years. Lots of precautionary habits to unlearn like "let me pee before we leave"! And having mental map of where all the public toilets are (looking at you, Home Depot).

No heavy lifting for a month and I can't swim in my pool for another week but that’s ok.

Again a bit of TMI, but I offer it in the spirit of helping someone who may be going through the same thing. Good luck to anyone with similar issues!

I joined the HoLEP club Monday. 3 hours on the table, an hour in recovery with a catheter. Had a double valve catheter, a saline bag going in and a catch bag coming out.

24 hours observation with 3 good meals the spiced salmon was the best. Doc pulled the catheter, Ms G came to visit went for a walk, but didn't make it very far.

Lots of bladder scans to check my residual pee, as a condition of discharge.

Had my big boy pull ups for the ride home the next day.

My biopsy showed no cancer in the pulp sucked out. It is said that some small PC tumors are zapped in the laser procedure. I have had 2 and I have been on active surveillance for over 10 years

Pain none, no lifting, very light exercise etc. I get some blood and small clots during day activity, but pretty clear when sleeping. No leaks after 5 days when I cough. I have been doing kegels for years.

Walking to the road twice a day 1/16 mile each way. Drinking water until my eyes float, and been wearing a maxi pad just for grins.

Had a Western Diamondback on the west side this morning to relocate. First thing Ms G askes is "it wasn't over 10 lbs was it."

Doc had me stop my Tamsulosin and finasteride, so that is a good thing. PSA probably in 6 months.

My regular urologist and my surgeon are in the same medical group. If in Tucson I would highly recommend.

Grasshopper, 55 gm lighter.

marko and grasshopper, thanks for your honest and informative updates. Best wishes for full recoveries.

Post surgery appointment with my surgeon 4 1/2 weeks after HoLEP. called me the posterboy of HoLEP with no complications, all the plumbing is working, and back to my white cotton boxers.

A bladder ultrasound was done and amazingly only 17 ml of retained urine equal to about 1/2 oz. for those that are math challenged. Most docs are very happy with less than 100.:dance:

Post surgery appointment with my surgeon 4 1/2 weeks after HoLEP. called me the posterboy of HoLEP with no complications, all the plumbing is working, and back to my white cotton boxers.

A bladder ultrasound was done and amazingly only 17 ml of retained urine equal to about 1/2 oz. for those that are math challenged. Most docs are very happy with less than 100.:dance:

Heh, heh, I'd be more than pleased with less than 100!

Back
Top Bottom