Braving Black Friday

I guess I'm lucky. I always have my gifts here at home....blank checks in my checkbook. :p No small children to buy for, so a dollar figure with my sig makes everyone very happy. Ho Ho Ho

I don't buy crap I don't need even if it's on sale. I slept in until just after 1pm.

I'm with you there. DH and I entertained several relatives for Thanksgiving Dinner, had a great time and then crashed. Slept in until 1pm this afternoon. No choice had, to regain my strength to tackle the dishes.

Oh HaHa, we also have a flip camera and love it. We set it up on a tripod and placed it in the corner of the dining room to film the festivities for family members who could not join us for dinner. So easy to use and it picked up all of the conversation. We got ours online at Amazon.

I guess I'm lucky. I always have my gifts here at home....blank checks in my checkbook. :p No small children to buy for, so a dollar figure with my sig makes everyone very happy. Ho Ho Ho

That's the way my family has done it for years. Why buy something for someone that they may not want or use. Everyone can use cash. People say "cash or gift cards are so impersonal". I say so what. I'd rather have $50 cash rather than $100 worth of crap I don't need or want and i'd rather give the same.

Nope - no Black Friday AND I am conviently not hearing suggestions I start digging out the boxes in the basement containing the outdoor window and yard Christmas decorations let alone the artificial tree and stuff.

Bah humbug. Where's my Curmudgeon certificate!

heh heh heh - nuts! arrived today - the various cookies I was was conned into buying for various Holiday causes by the neighborhood kids will begin showing up next week.

Watch out for the green coated nuts in the catalogs(Chinese horse radish) - that was last year. :cool:

I certainly wouldn't go out at this point, one year I got stuck out on black Friday in the early afternoon, the crowds were mind numbing.

Cleared the first two songs on Guitar Hero - whoo-hoo! Soul Ride....take it easy!

Slow Ride, by Foghat, is a pretty good song, too... ;)

So, I braved the crowds long enough to walk around the mall for 30 minutes, which was all my swollen knee could handle. Lots of people, some of whom appeared to be shopping. Got a raspberry-mocha frappacino; lord knows I'm in calorie deficit after yesterday. :rolleyes:

Heard a rousing rendition of Hotel California on pan flute... :p:p

I do almost the same. My parents, aunts and siblings get edible gifts--none of us really need more "stuff". All of the next generation except my youngest niece get prepaid Visa gift cards so they can buy whatever they would like. As a result their presents are always the right size and color and they don't groan at my totally non-existent sense of style and my utter ignorance of what's fashionable this year for the under-25 set.

My youngest niece is only 7, so I still buy an actual gift for her. I figure such a young child will like to get a box with wrapping paper to open. IIRC from when I was small, at that age, seeing all the boxes under the tree and unwrapping the present is a good part of the Christmas Day fun.

Home Depot was abandoned. I guess hard wood isn't fashionable Christmas gift, but just wait a couple of months.

Home Depot was abandoned.
We're going to try our darndest to avoid the stores until 2009. But this week we bought $500 of HD gift cards for $400 from eager Craigslist sellers, and we're expecting even better deals after the holidays.

Nope - no Black Friday AND I am conviently not hearing suggestions I start digging out the boxes in the basement containing the outdoor window and yard Christmas decorations let alone the artificial tree and stuff.

Bah humbug. Where's my Curmudgeon certificate!

heh heh heh - nuts! arrived today - the various cookies I was was conned into buying for various Holiday causes by the neighborhood kids will begin showing up next week.

Watch out for the green coated nuts in the catalogs(Chinese horse radish) - that was last year. :cool:
isn't your back acting up again or something? >:D

bah humbug indeed. :mad:
i will revert to the lazy person's method of doing the house with xmas lights - tiny suction cups on the INSIDE of the windows.
last year we did a Charlie Brown tree - a 4' high real Norwegian pine tree in a bucket. it was cute and pathetic all at once. we will repeat that this year.
i shall get in the spirit by dressing up as one of Santa's elves on Dec 6th at a kids' xmas party. Sickeningly Cute Elf will be my theme du jour. :D

I went to Menards at 7 am for some plywood and electrical supplies and was trapped behind a bunch of women buying poinsettias. The place was packed. I went back at 7 pm and there were very few people there

i shall get in the spirit by dressing up as one of Santa's elves on Dec 6th at a kids' xmas party. Sickeningly Cute Elf will be my theme du jour. :D
I used to work with a guy (he was only about 4'8") that used to dress up as an elf when he went to holiday parties. Problem was, that he started drinking long before the parties started , and by the time he showed up, he was slobbering drunk. He end up making a spectacle of himself, make crude and lewd comments to people, and usually ended up puking on himself before he got thrown out.

Every time I see someone dressed as an elf, I think of him.....elves are scary!! :D

Slow Ride, by Foghat, is a pretty good song, too... ;)

So, I braved the crowds long enough to walk around the mall for 30 minutes, which was all my swollen knee could handle. Lots of people, some of whom appeared to be shopping. Got a raspberry-mocha frappacino; lord knows I'm in calorie deficit after yesterday. :rolleyes:

Heard a rousing rendition of Hotel California on pan flute... :p:p

ROFLMAO! Can you tell I was born after the song was out? Sorry!

ROFLMAO! Can you tell I was born after the song was out? Sorry!
I knew the song was "Slow Ride", but I didn't want to admit I'm a fossil...so now the secret is out....:p The older you get the slower you get....

Can you tell I was born after the song was out?

No need to rub it in... :p

It was 1975, for you young whippersnappers...

Hey, even after 54 years, I'm still learning the "real" lyrics to songs. Thank you, internets...

But I reserve the right to change the lyrics to suit myself... >:D

I used to work with a guy (he was only about 4'8") that used to dress up as an elf when he went to holiday parties. Problem was, that he started drinking long before the parties started , and by the time he showed up, he was slobbering drunk. He end up making a spectacle of himself, make crude and lewd comments to people, and usually ended up puking on himself before he got thrown out.

Every time I see someone dressed as an elf, I think of him.....elves are scary!! :D
am I hearing my "marching orders" here? >:D

Everybody around here must have shopped 'til they dropped yesterday! The town looks deserted....no traffic...no crowds....amazing! Black Friday must have sapped all their strength

We went out for breakfast this morning, and the place wasn't very busy.....it's always packed on Saturdays & Sundays. Then we ventured toward the grocery store....only 6 cars in the parking lot, so we went in and shopped. Went across town to Aldi's.....almost deserted....even the cashier was stocking shelves! Hit Walgreens on the way home, and there were a few folks there, but the checkout lines moved very quickly.....most were dropping off film, or picking up photos...not many 'shopping'.

Gotta go back to the store in a bit to pick up 1 item we forgot.....hope people are still at home recouping! ;)

Everybody around here must have shopped 'til they dropped yesterday! The town looks deserted....no traffic...no crowds....amazing! Black Friday must have sapped all their strength

We went out for breakfast this morning, and the place wasn't very busy.....it's always packed on Saturdays & Sundays. Then we ventured toward the grocery store....only 6 cars in the parking lot, so we went in and shopped. Went across town to Aldi's.....almost deserted....even the cashier was stocking shelves! Hit Walgreens on the way home, and there were a few folks there, but the checkout lines moved very quickly.....most were dropping off film, or picking up photos...not many 'shopping'.

Gotta go back to the store in a bit to pick up 1 item we forgot.....hope people are still at home recouping! ;)

This year is going to be a retail disaster. Everyone went out yesterday to get the great deals, but didn't buy anything else. In the line for Target, everyone had their flyer with key items circled. At the checkout, I had one item and I didn't see anyone with more than half a dozen.

This year is going to be a retail disaster. Everyone went out yesterday to get the great deals, but didn't buy anything else. In the line for Target, everyone had their flyer with key items circled. At the checkout, I had one item and I didn't see anyone with more than half a dozen.
I spent less than $5 yesterday morning....2 cups of decaf, 1 carton of milk, and 1 bacon, egg, & cheese biscuit sandwich. Oops! I take that back....I also spent $6 at another restaurant in the afternoon for 2 coffees & 2 soups, for my buddy and me.....and then went bought a bag of bird seed for the feeders! I sure gave a big boost to the local economy! :rolleyes:

But that's how I always spend....slow & steady. I buy what I need, when I need it. I never do the binge shopping, like on Black Friday....never have....hopefully never will. It's not just a matter of detesting crowds.....heck, I just don't like people all that much...whether in groups or not! I love animals....and only mildly tolerate humans! And absolutely HATE 'big box stores'!!! Plus, when I shop for gifts...which is seldom...I'm looking for something unique and special, and those things aren't going to be on any of Black Friday's 'blue-light specials'. Electronic stuff we buy on an 'as needed' basis throughout the year, leaving Christmas and birthdays for 'memorable' items. ;)

When I bring in the newspaper, I pick through the inserts to get the coupons for what we use from the grocery stores or Walgreens, and for eateries that we like. The rest of the junk is immediately direct-deposited in the round file, including all of the 'big box' fliers.

I've nearly turned into a carbon copy of my dear ol' Dad......he'd only shop at locally owned and operated stores and restaurants...the 'mom & pop' joints. I'm pretty much like him...although I do shop online for what is unavailable locally....or if I can get a far better price...if the price online isn't vastly lower, I'll opt to pay a few bucks more to buy from the local 'mom and pop' joint! :D

:D

I thought about going Black Friday shopping this year. It has been many years since I have gone. I looked through some of the sales flyers and saw some good deals and thought that yes I will go this year. Then my DD asked me if I would keep my almost 5 month old granddaughter, while she went back to MD with her DH. They left Thanksgiving night and will be back on Sunday. I have not left the house. Those Black Friday shopping deals had to be bought by someone other than myself. Who knows, maybe next year or maybe not!

...I never do the binge shopping, like on Black Friday....never have....hopefully never will. It's not just a matter of detesting crowds.....heck, I just don't like people all that much...whether in groups or not! I love animals....and only mildly tolerate humans! And absolutely HATE 'big box stores'!!! ...
I've nearly turned into a carbon copy of my dear ol' Dad......he'd only shop at locally owned and operated stores and restaurants...the 'mom & pop' joints. I'm pretty much like him...although I do shop online for what is unavailable locally....or if I can get a far better price...if the price online isn't vastly lower, I'll opt to pay a few bucks more to buy from the local 'mom and pop' joint! :D
are we related? :D
i firmly believe in supporting the mom-n-pop stores. they are the heart and soul of small town America. so what if something is 25 or 50 cents more? to me the payoffs for a slightly higher price are: the merchandise is better quality and undamaged, service is fantastic, and any problems are always taken care or immediately, without long lines. the free samples or that extra apple or roll given to faithful customers is well worth it. the genuine smile and hello you get at small places vs the bored expression at big stores, just top it off.
i am strictly an online shopper anymore. i hate crowds and big stores and traffic. urk ! :p
am i getting cranky :rolleyes: in my middle age? if so, cool. :cool:

But that's how I always spend....slow & steady. I buy what I need, when I need it. I never do the binge shopping, like on Black Friday....never have....hopefully never will. It's not just a matter of detesting crowds.....heck, I just don't like people all that much...whether in groups or not! I love animals....and only mildly tolerate humans!

I loathe and fear shopping and crowds, though I do find I can tolerate people in small doses since retirement. And I do love all my critters, even the ones that dine in my garden.

And absolutely HATE 'big box stores'!!! Plus, when I shop for gifts...which is seldom...I'm looking for something unique and special, and those things aren't going to be on any of Black Friday's 'blue-light specials'. Electronic stuff we buy on an 'as needed' basis throughout the year, leaving Christmas and birthdays for 'memorable' items. ;)
I do go to the 'big box stores' throughout the year.

When I bring in the newspaper, I pick through the inserts to get the coupons for what we use from the grocery stores or Walgreens, and for eateries that we like. The rest of the junk is immediately direct-deposited in the round file, including all of the 'big box' fliers.

I do go first to the local merchants and farmers. Definitely willing to pay extra for unique or custom stuff.

Last edited:
Bah Humbug - one more time. Snowing north of Kansas City. I went to the doughnut shop.

Come back and she 'mentioned' she took a picture of the 6 foot Blue spruce in the front yard - a sneaky and subtle hint to get the outdoor lights from the basement.

At least it wasn't crowded in town - snow or they burn't out shopping yesterday:confused:

heh heh heh - ;)

I went against my personal policy of not shopping on Black Friday and I went out to PetSmart. I had a $10.00 coupon that was only good on Friday, the 28th. I also had other coupons so I bought $40 worth of cat food and litter and it only cost $22. That was worth the trip out.

I pulled into the shopping center and the place was full all the way out to the access road. I drove closer to PetSmart and there was no crowd. It was all for the neighboring Borders Bookstore. When I left I saw a large tour bus, it was Glenn Beck, doing a book signing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom