Bronze, Silver and Coinsurance/Copay

Thanks for the link. That's good to know for when we shop for 2015.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I'm sure they make a lot of money on aggregate deductibles vs individual deductibles but for us the simple solution was to simply buy two policies.
That's my plan for 2015. I wish I would have been tuned-in to this thinking last-year! The folks here tried to warn me, but I, in my stupidity, believed what the BlueCross BlueShield rep told me.

The cost for two separate individual policies is the same as the cost for one family policy for two adults. Not sure about the cost when children are included.
I have done a few cost runs over the last year and and every time I tried it, the sum of the premiums for separate policies, including kids, came up to the same price as a single group...to the penny.

I'm on a BlueCross Choice PPO Bronze plan for 2014.

Well, after getting a physical and seeing the breakdown only to find out my doctor is not in-network. I could swear that he was in-network when I signed up back in Jan. :facepalm:

Overall, I still saved $ with a cheaper premium than my previous pre-ACA policy. But, looks like I'll be looking for another plan come open enrollment.

I learned from experience than the BlueCross Choice plans have a limited number of doctors in-network.

I have done a few cost runs over the last year and and every time I tried it, the sum of the premiums for separate policies, including kids, came up to the same price as a single group...to the penny.

I thought this was such bad pricing policy that I was going to suggest complaining to your state Insurance Commissioner, who's in charge of approving rates. First, though, I posted on an actuarial board and asked them. Turns out that, while private plans do give you a discount for multi-person policies, ACA requirements force insurers to charge the same amount per person for individual or family coverage. Weird.

Your spreadsheet has a PHP file type identifier and will not open with Excel. What software is this? Thanks

Your spreadsheet has a PHP file type identifier and will not open with Excel. What software is this? Thanks

That happens to me all the time here. Try a different browser or two and see if that works.

Back
Top Bottom