Brushing too hard?

fh2000

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My dentist said due to brushing too hard using electric brush, I gouged a deep groove under the gum line for 3 teeth. One of them developed a root canal which also required a crown lenthenging procedure. The rest 2 had to be patched to cover the groove.

All told, $5000 HSA fund was deployed. Dentist said if you use electric brush, just press down but do not use brushing motion. Do not brush too hard.

FWIW, my dentist recommends a soft bristle brush, not one with firm bristles.

My dentists told me the same thing. It was causing gum loss. I quit pressing down so hard and now my gums have grown back.

Start using a water pick too. They’re great.

I've had the same issue, with a receding gum-line even though otherwise very healthy teeth/gums. Though I've never liked electric toothbrushes ... I just use too much pressure with my normal manual toothbrush. Soft bristles are a must, and I've actually started seeking out extra-soft bristles. They're not always readily available, but I've found them to help. Of course, the biggest issue is just not using much pressure -- need to take it easy & keep pressure minimal.

Listerine has a new "Gum Therapy" mouthwash. I missed my appointment and almost immediately felt gum disease in every corner of my mouth. I decided to stay focused and use the gum therapy. But, I realize I have been scrubbing too hard (out of paranoia). Is there any enamel left on my old teeth?

My Oral B has a pressure indicator light.

I've previously used only firm toothbrushes because I just didn't feel clean with the soft ones. A year ago my dentist said she felt my gums were "starting" to show some deterioration. I switched to soft brushes....and hated it. I then compromised, went to Firm in the morning, Medium at night. Last checkup was fine. If eventually I have to give up those Firm toothbrushes, Ill go electric, probably this one!

Thank ya'll for the dental education.

I just got a new Oral B electric toothbrush to replace my 10+ year old one with a weak battery. And, yes, it has a flashing light that illuminates if you press too hard. The new toothbrush seems to have a more vigorous "action" as well. I also have a fairly new waterpik clone that helps with cleaning out debris especially from my back (wisdom) teeth and gums. My hygienist suggested that as well. I have an upcoming appointment so we'll see if it all helps.

Years ago my dentist told me to change to soft bristle only as my gums were receding and I had visible "brush" wear lines in my enamel.
We switched to Sonicare and have used it until it recently broke. Back to soft manual brushing. No mention of problems with new dentists a few years ago.l
I may get the Oral B one with the pressure light, thanks for the info!

Years ago my dentist told me to change to soft bristle only as my gums were receding and I had visible "brush" wear lines in my enamel.
We switched to Sonicare and have used it until it recently broke. Back to soft manual brushing. No mention of problems with new dentists a few years ago.l
I may get the Oral B one with the pressure light, thanks for the info!
My first electric toothbrush was a Sonicare but I like the smaller head size of the Oral B. Maybe Sonicare has made their head smaller in recent models. Also, I bought at Costco with a set of two Oral B's at $30 off i.e. $70 which seemed like a very good deal (Smart Clean 360). Not as many modes as far more expensive models but the 2 minute/ 30 second quadrant timer, pressure light, and 4 or 5 brushing modes sold it for me.

Back
Top Bottom