Bullsh*t Bingo

We had to listen to a long, boring, meaningless management conference call some years back, and a buddy and I were in my office listening to the call and playing bullshit bingo. After a few minutes our boss, the VP of Marketing, wandered in to find out what all the hilarity was about, and caught us in the act.

We shrugged and smiled sheepishly, after which he went back to his own office and prepared for his part of the conference call. As soon as they turned it over to him we heard him, over the phone and to everyone, announce that he'd caught two nameless employees playing bullshit bingo and they'd better not be doing it while he was presenting.

Best boss I ever had.

Now here is a game I'd love to play!!!

Bullshit Bingo [Random!]

This inspires me to create one for government meetings. This one is out of date. I need words like "transformation", 21st century, net-centric, metrics, etc. I think most of the ppt's I have seen lately could have been generated with a tool like the Dilbert "Mission Statement Generator" game. With Web-Conferences you can sit there and count the number of times the buzz-words are used but the bingo game would be more fun.

I've played that game in meetings with my coworkers. Be careful - it's hard to stop giggling.

There is an IBM ad, called Buzzword Bingo. However, it is only available in German on YouTube.

Shoot, I'd have put one on every chair in the conference room, and attached it to the meeting email. Bet that'd have a solid effect on cutting down on the bullshit!

... and they'd better not be doing it while he was presenting.
Well, that would depend on the quality of his presentation, wouldn't it?

Spouse had to sit through Saturday presentations of about 20 (of 50) high-school science research projects. By the time our kid finished [-]getting raked over the coals[/-] coordinating her presentation with her teacher, all she wanted to do was get in there, get it over with, and get the heck out.

The Buzzword bingo game was one of my favorite applications for the Palm Pilot. After one particularly giggly meeting, the boss made us put the silly gadgets away.

My current boss is pretty cool about this kind of thing. He starts his meetings' shared whiteboard with the "Meetings: None of Us is as Dumb as All of Us" poster from despair.com.

Holy crap the BS bingo site looks a lot like the bingo game I made! It even marks the squares the same way. I wonder if they saw mine (doubtful) or maybe there just aren't many ways to make an online bingo card (more likely). However mine can regenerate the same card given the card's number (random number seed) so you can have someone else check your bingo.

Anyway, if someone wants to make a buzzword list I can make an updated bingo list, give out the link and see how well my little server can handle the load.

In fact I just whipped up this sample using three sentences from above to make a test phrase list: http://bigmoneyjim.com/cgi-bin/testbingo.pl

It's probably too big to play on a smart phone, but oh well.

Last edited:
Well last year the saying seemed to be "there"s goodness in that" and this year I keep hearing, "make magic" and "vetted". Can't wait to hear what 2008 brings.

Back
Top Bottom